Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

CL football next season all but guaranteed as the other candidates will all take themselves out. I have a feeling Leicester and Chelsea will hold on there also. As poor as United are, they're difficult enough to break down. OGS is widely-seen as a lame-duck manager though I'd say; good enough to get them where they are but no further. I don't think he would entice too many top, top, top players (rather, their agents) to sign on - even his compatriot Haaland. Homesick Cavani wants to go south, Pogba just wants to go anywhere else, even Fernandes is throwing an odd glance to the exit door. Not a good look.

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 11, 2021, 12:03:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 10, 2021, 04:34:49 PM
300 years after it was first promised, today it seems that the club have actually appointed a Director of Football.

Well, a 'Football Director' - maybe that's the same thing? Darren Fletcher also given a bump. Hopefully signifies an intention to change how the club goes about recruitment. Matt Judge still there, though.

About time, nothing short of shambolic the way the club has been run since Fergie left; In fairness since Ole came in at least there's manager there who appears to see the bigger picture when it came to player recruitment.

A big summer ahead, as long as United make the CL and with the return of fans next season then United financially will be a in position to sign someone like Haaland and a top centre half although can't say I have any faith in it happening. I've watched a fair bit of football the last year and can't say there's too many centre half's who look that impressive.

I said this on the Liverpool thread. The two Leipzig centrehalves were very highly rated and linked with a number of top clubs in Jan with Upemancho (sp) going to Bayern. In the two matches I watched them recently they were not great

Rich Ricci

I think when judging CBs nowadays people are trying to find the next Van Dijk which just isn't going to happen. Players of that quality who can dominate their position like he has don't come along that often...Take maguire for example. Through no fault of his own he's went for the same sort of money as Van Dijk and now he's constantly compared to him. Fair enough he's made mistakes but he gets slated and labelled a dungbag just because he's not as good as Van Dijk.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: TabClear on March 11, 2021, 02:05:16 PM
300 years after it was first promised, today it seems that the club have actually appointed a Director of Football.

Well, a 'Football Director' - maybe that's the same thing? Darren Fletcher also given a bump. Hopefully signifies an intention to change how the club goes about recruitment. Matt Judge still there, though.

About time, nothing short of shambolic the way the club has been run since Fergie left; In fairness since Ole came in at least there's manager there who appears to see the bigger picture when it came to player recruitment.

A big summer ahead, as long as United make the CL and with the return of fans next season then United financially will be a in position to sign someone like Haaland and a top centre half although can't say I have any faith in it happening. I've watched a fair bit of football the last year and can't say there's too many centre half's who look that impressive.

I said this on the Liverpool thread. The two Leipzig centrehalves were very highly rated and linked with a number of top clubs in Jan with Upemancho (sp) going to Bayern. In the two matches I watched them recently they were not great

The 2 Leipzig centre backs that are most highly rated are Upamecano and Konate. Konate didn't play in either game against Liverpool.

TabClear

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 11, 2021, 02:49:07 PM

The 2 Leipzig centre backs that are most highly rated are Upamecano and Konate. Konate didn't play in either game against Liverpool.

Ah right that makes sense. Upamencho has all the atrributes in terms of pace and strength but did not look great on the ball.

NAG1

Quote from: TabClear on March 11, 2021, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 11, 2021, 02:49:07 PM

Ah right that makes sense. Upamencho has all the atrributes in terms of pace and strength but did not look great on the ball.

Also is he not pre-signed by Bayern?

Good ones are scarce on the ground and that is why United ended up paying the money they did for Maguire, rightly or wrongly. A good one is now seen as every bit as vital as a top striker and the money now reflects that.

Cunny Funt

Milan in the driving seat in this tie now. This group of United players aren't learning, once again poorly organised on a set piece deep into injury time and Henderson should have done better.

The sitters missed by Maguire, James proved costly but on the night Milan probably deserved a draw and could see tonight why they have only lost once in 20 away games this season. The one bright spark for United was Amad with his first goal and it was inches away from a winner.

NAG1

I am not in a worry about the Europa league, starting to get concerned though over the number of games and the injuries starting to accrue from this.

Should have enough in the return leg to go there and win but won't be overly bothered if they dont.

Strong finish to the PL and build on that in the summer is the priority.

Jeepers Creepers

Possible front three of James, Dallio & Greenwood?

mouview

Quote from: NAG1 on March 12, 2021, 02:15:50 PM
I am not in a worry about the Europa league, starting to get concerned though over the number of games and the injuries starting to accrue from this.

Should have enough in the return leg to go there and win but won't be overly bothered if they dont.

Build how though? MU were a lot closer to having a first team out last night than their opponents. Who could you say was really missing bar Rashford, who's fairly gone off the boil in recent months. For all the hype about the City win, there was a lot the same about last night's performance. In both games, they were passed about the pitch, just that Milan eventually converted one of the chances that City couldn't. Which MU player, excepting Fernandes and probably Rashford, would really make a difference by putting them into any other team? The rest are neither terribly bad or world class. To bridge that divide from runners-up to winners takes a lot of money. MU haven't progressed to the CL semis in 10 years, that's a long time away for a club of their stature.

From the Bunker

Quote from: NAG1 on March 12, 2021, 02:15:50 PM

which would you rather to

a) To go out of the Europa League now and finish 2nd in the PL?

b) To get to the final of the Europa League and finish 3rd in the PL?

c) To win the Europa League and finish 5th in the PL?

StPatsAbu

Is C even a serious question?  ::) ;D

Milltown Row2

West Ham not one shot on target, Utd poor at times too, but sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2021, 09:08:30 PM

I'd  take 1-0 wins v top 6 all day long.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2021, 09:08:30 PM

1st half especially West Ham was the most negative and defensive I have seen from any visiting team in Old Trafford.

Hard earned, deserved and a important win. Shaw and Greenwood among the stand outs.

9 points ahead of 5th now with 9 games to play is a decent position to be in but as Leicester proved last season anything can happen yet.