Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Wonder if there is any way the rules could be modified to enable older players to stay involved; like 'touch' rugby. I could hardly run thirty yds without falling over, but could stick the ball over the bar from that distance. We need some method of making gaelic football a more social game; even club players have a Spartan lifestyle now

thewobbler

My tuppence is that 2pm on Sundays is the worst possible time for anyone with kids, and that 2pm on a sunny Sunday is write-off completely for younger fellas who enjoy a rip. Reserve football should appeal to social footballers, but the timings just don't work for many.

Personally I'd prefer 11am throw-ins. Yep more than a few lads might still have drink in their system, but it gives everyone their Sunday back. Other than that, 6pm throw-ins are much more conducive to family men than 2pm.

I'm not sure any week night would suit. Senior teams tend to train on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tuesdays is minor football so is out. Thursday night is a possibility and would help keep reserve football for genuine reserves, as 95% of senior managers would let dare let anyone in the first 18-20 senior spits play the night before. But then again, this would cripple smaller clubs.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2018, 04:12:46 PM
My tuppence is that 2pm on Sundays is the worst possible time for anyone with kids, and that 2pm on a sunny Sunday is write-off completely for younger fellas who enjoy a rip. Reserve football should appeal to social footballers, but the timings just don't work for many.

Personally I'd prefer 11am throw-ins. Yep more than a few lads might still have drink in their system, but it gives everyone their Sunday back. Other than that, 6pm throw-ins are much more conducive to family men than 2pm.

I'm not sure any week night would suit. Senior teams tend to train on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tuesdays is minor football so is out. Thursday night is a possibility and would help keep reserve football for genuine reserves, as 95% of senior managers would let dare let anyone in the first 18-20 senior spits play the night before. But then again, this would cripple smaller clubs.
We tried to move games to 12 last year where possible and it worked out much better. The younger fellas actually preferred it too. Think it give them a reason to go for the cure earlier on a Sunday. The problem was that in our club you had to fight for a pitch with U12 boys, U14 or U16 girls on Sunday mornings plus other teams trying to train. I remember hearing talk about swapping time slots with the ladies on Saturday evenings but the girls weren't keen on Sundays either. It could come down to smaller pitches and 9 or 11 a side.

Leftmidfield

Kilcoo bt CPN by 2 points with last kick goal. Big brawl at the end

Square Ball

Quote from: Leftmidfield on June 01, 2018, 10:37:24 PM

Yeah, video doing the rounds lots of pushing and shoving and a bit dancing
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SHEEDY

Quote from: Square Ball on June 02, 2018, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Leftmidfield on June 01, 2018, 10:37:24 PM

Yeah, video doing the rounds lots of pushing and shoving and a bit dancing
from all reports it seems the row in the kingdom/bryansford match was a lot worse.
nil satis nisi optimum

thewobbler

Kilcoo, CPN, Bryansford, An Riocht.

Only thing that connects them all is that they've al played Ballyholland this season. f**king Harps at it again.

downjim

Kilcoo footage is shocking, why are their supporters on the field fighting with players?
Was big Rodger playing as well.
What will be done about it though, nothing. Who appoints CB to referee Kilcoo anyway??

thewobbler

Quote from: downjim on June 02, 2018, 04:59:58 PM
Kilcoo footage is shocking, why are their supporters on the field fighting with players?
What will be done about it though, nothing. Who appoints CB to referee Kilcoo anyway??

Jimbo. I'm curious. What is it you think should be "done"?

Ed Hardy

Just wondering if any word on Jerome Johnson? Has he been called back into the panel yet?

forevergreen

No point criticising Ciaran Brannigan until the report is dealt with. Apparently no sending off which seems strange. CB will have to deal with it either way now. Certainly punches thrown but the 2 lads who weren't playing where laughable.
County Board meeting will be busy Monday!!!!

hectorsheroes

All you outside the wire "speakers"/"wrong/right-sayers" maybe time you went inside the wire and actually managed and dealt with the aspects you talk about as opposed to "judge" in your expert opinions

downjim

Quote from: thewobbler on June 02, 2018, 07:34:08 PM

Fine the clubs, deduct two points each and send the two lads to dancing lessons

thewobbler

Quote from: downjim on June 03, 2018, 02:14:13 PM

Fine the clubs, deduct two points each and send the two lads to dancing lessons

Okay fair enough.

Now how are you going to define a melee, so that it becomes possible to implement this punishment consistently?

elk

Don't let CB referee Kilcoo games. In general he's a decent ref but anytime I have seen him ref a game Kilcoo is involved in he definitely favours them with his decisions