Niall Rigney
Diarmuid Mullins
Niall Moran
DJ Carey
Tommy Buggy
Ken Hogan
Anthony Daly
Seamus 'Cheddar' Plunkett

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/06/12/10-potential-candidates-for-the-laois-hurling-managers-job/

It's telling that no journalist would actually put their name to that garbage.

The PRO

Quote from: merman on June 12, 2018, 05:52:04 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 12, 2018, 05:33:13 PM
From Laois Today

"10 potential candidates for the Laois hurling manager's job"
Arien Delaney
Paul Cuddy
Niall Rigney
Diarmuid Mullins
Niall Moran
DJ Carey
Tommy Buggy
Ken Hogan
Anthony Daly
Seamus 'Cheddar' Plunkett

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/06/12/10-potential-candidates-for-the-laois-hurling-managers-job/

It's telling that no journalist would actually put their name to that garbage.
Get off the fence there merman 😁😁😁

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on June 12, 2018, 03:59:35 PM
If the application for funding was turned down

There would have been a letter saying that it was declined and the reasons why

Let's have sight of the letter then
The plan was shelved by Croke Park. This is fact. Stop spreading untruths.

Don Draper

People asking for Chedd to come back have short memories. He was blackguarded by all and sundry in his time, clubs, county board and supporters alike. He warned us what was coming yet we still didn't back him.

Shits come home to roost lads. We'd have some neck to go crawling to him now.

Mad Mentor

Ultimately the fault lies with every "hurling supporter" in the county. People don't bother to get involved and go to their clubs AGM. The same people get elected each year with very little change within any club. This apathy feeds upward into the county board which is merely a reflection of the clubs. Talk of setting up "structures" at underage to get more kids in and get them better coached falls down on the simple fact that it is very difficult to get people to take on coaching roles in clubs. The job usually falls to a couple of dads who take it on reluctantly as their own kids are involved and they may as well do it or no one will. These lads will typically spend two years at each age group and move up to the next age group as their kids get older, just as they were getting the hang of that age group. They now have to learn the ropes at the new age groups.
The same process happens at county "development" squad level.

The GDA's - who get heavily criticised - are willing to help any club upskill their coaches, but again the apathy from the clubs is palpable. There is a series of player pathway workshops on the go at the moment, but the buy-in and attendance from some clubs (including my own) is poor. Getting enough people each year to manage all the groups from u7 to u17 is a serious challenge to most clubs each year and the rate of burnout among underage coaches is high. It's a tough role these days.

The ideal in each club and at county level would be for each age group to have three to four experienced coaches who stay at that age group getting more experienced each year, and passing the young hurlers up the conveyor belt improving them all the way. The GDAs have tried to support this, but generally people (coaches) are only interested in the age group their own child is in. You may get a few current or ex hurlers wanting to get involved at u15 or u17 level, but not generally before.

I don't know if Cheddars plan has answers on how you get more people involved in club coaching, but unless it does, it's difficult to see how the county can improve. Laois being a small county means every club has to supply several county quality players whereas the likes of Kilkenny or Tipperary clubs have to supply a lot less.

It all comes back to the clubs. Get more people involved. More current players getting involved with younger teams. Pushing the county board to be better. But who are the clubs? The self same "hurling supporters who stand on the ditch and criticise or take to the keyboards on forums like this. I am heavily involved with my club and coaching. How many posters on this forum can say the same?

On a final note, although I have great respect for Cheddar and the work he put in, I recall a general feeling that he had taken the squad at the time as far as he was able. Unfortunately, we had no one to build on the solid foundations he had laid.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 12, 2018, 10:08:33 PM
Ultimately the fault lies with every "hurling supporter" in the county. People don't bother to get involved and go to their clubs AGM. The same people get elected each year with very little change within any club. This apathy feeds upward into the county board which is merely a reflection of the clubs. Talk of setting up "structures" at underage to get more kids in and get them better coached falls down on the simple fact that it is very difficult to get people to take on coaching roles in clubs. The job usually falls to a couple of dads who take it on reluctantly as their own kids are involved and they may as well do it or no one will. These lads will typically spend two years at each age group and move up to the next age group as their kids get older, just as they were getting the hang of that age group. They now have to learn the ropes at the new age groups.

The GDA's - who get heavily criticised - are willing to help any club upskill their coaches, but again the apathy from the clubs is palpable. There is a series of player pathway workshops on the go at the moment, but the buy-in and attendance from some clubs (including my own) is poor. Getting enough people each year to manage all the groups from u7 to u17 is a serious challenge to most clubs each year and the rate of burnout among underage coaches is high. It's a tough role these days.

The ideal in each club and at county level would be for each age group to have three to four experienced coaches who stay at that age group getting more experienced each year, and passing the young hurlers up the conveyor belt improving them all the way. The GDAs have tried to support this, but generally people (coaches) are only interested in the age group their own child is in. You may get a few current or ex hurlers wanting to get involved at u15 or u17 level, but not generally before.

I don't know if Cheddars plan has answers on how you get more people involved in club coaching, but unless it does, it's difficult to see how the county can improve. Laois being a small county means every club has to supply several county quality players whereas the likes of Kilkenny or Tipperary clubs have to supply a lot less.

It all comes back to the clubs. Get more people involved. More current players getting involved with younger teams. Pushing the county board to be better. But who are the clubs? The self same "hurling supporters who stand on the ditch and criticise or take to the keyboards on forums like this. I am heavily involved with my club and coaching. How many posters on this forum can say the same?

On a final note, although I have great respect for Cheddar and the work he put in, I recall a general feeling that he had taken the squad at the time as far as he was able. Unfortunately, we had no one to build on the solid foundations he had laid.

Excellent post, nail on the head.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

blueandwhite1

Quote from: finbar o tool on June 12, 2018, 10:40:37 PM

Excellent post, nail on the head.

Seconded. It won't happen organically though. It needs a centralizing force to pull it together. At each club with a strong GDA and at board level a leader who can mobilize. For now, my recommendation is that we all keep on giving a shit and get angry when we are talking about it - to our clubs, online, wherever. It does matter. Apathy is the worst thing that could happen. 

redsetanta

It has to be driven by the clubs. There's no other way of doing it and you need people from within pushing their own clubs. Anything to be said for another petition? Send it to county board.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Does any remember Willie Hyland's open letter a few years ago. That had a huge impact.

Personally, would be happy to sign a petition. Need someone to start one though!

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on June 12, 2018, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 12, 2018, 03:59:35 PM
If the application for funding was turned down

There would have been a letter saying that it was declined and the reasons why

Let's have sight of the letter then
The plan was shelved by Croke Park. This is fact. Stop spreading untruths.

Except it wasn't,which was borne out by what Jack Nolan said in his article also

You keep defending the county board though,there's a good lad

clonadmad

Well said,Sir

Apathy

Sums up where we are at,as someone who is also heavily involved underage with my club,I completely agree with the participation rates from some clubs being very poor with regard to the player pathway.

We now have 5 GDA's in place,Kerry have 6.

Dave like the tv channel

Is Cheddar coaching Portlaoise this year?