Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I wouldn't necessarily agree that st galls have better footballers. I actually think cargin's best footballers are better.

However st galls 15 on 15 are probably better and they have a , much, better system. That and they're disciplined.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 08, 2012, 02:26:07 AM
I wouldn't necessarily agree that st galls have better footballers. I actually think cargin's best footballers are better.

However st galls 15 on 15 are probably better and they have a , much, better system. That and they're disciplined.

That's a very bold statement tommy, do you think our success is down to better discipline? I'd say Mick McCann would be one of the best footballers around no doubt, but the rest would be even enough with our lads. I'd like to see your comparisons
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

culchie11

Ah now ITG dont lose the run of yourself now!

12-13 of st galls starting 15 have all played county football at some stage, whereas cargin maybe have 8 at most!

imtommygunn

Crozier, 2 McCann's and Scullion have for years been our best performers at county level for a few years in my view. Gallagher probably the best of St Galls followed by Niblock.

I have come away from county games and wondered on a few occasions how Cargin aren't doing better against St Galls.

Don't get me wrong I fully understand that as 15 St Galls have better players but in my view the key players are no better. St Galls basically play "modern" football. They play a system and everyone has a place and role in their team which they know. Collectively they can swamp defense and they have guys who can score. Discipline is a big factor too MR. If St Galls lost a star player a new guy could come in and know what he was to do whereas if Cargin did they'd be in big trouble.

They have a better team ethos, have better discipline and have more belief in themselves in my view and that for me is why they're better and not individual ability.

(That's not to question individual ability but Cargin have Michael McCann, Tomas McCann, Tony Scullion, Kieran Close and Justin Crozier who are all excellent footballers and based on that I don't think it's purely football ability it's lost on)

St Galls to win by a few after all that!

Milltown Row2

Sean Kelly, McGourty's, Niblock, Brady, McLean, Gallagher, Burkey, and Healy to name but a few are serious footballers

Crozier, McCann I'll give you that, Scullion is a fit donkey and really offers nothing but running into blind alleys and kicking the ball oh and smacking people, Close can score but not as much as he used to.

Everyone works for the team at the the club, my only annoyance with the team is that we don't push on when on top, we could easy muster 17 points a game plus what every goals come along
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They are excellent no doubt but in my view individually no better than cargin's and in fact not as good. Scullion better than you give him credit for I think but easily riled in club games.

St galls revert to more 7s style possession football when on top. It's grand in Antrim but leaves them susceptible to being caught in ulster.

stibhan

I'm sorry, but the theorem that Saint Gall's are somehow just better managed than everyone else has just again been proven wrong. They are heads, shoulders, talent, mentality and tactics above everyone else in every sense of the words and should be the backbone of our county team.

bannside

Came back from the game with a sense of disappointment that it never lived up to its billing. Can`t fault St Galls for that though. They are a complete TEAM and their communication, support play and general unselfishness and committment to the team ethos was outstanding.

They will win Antrim at a canter and should have a good rattle at Ulster too. Look fitter and hungrier than in recent years, and no matter how envious everyone else is of their superiority, it has to be said they are a serious football outfit.

I thought the venue may make a difference, but hands up, I was wrong about that. Cargin had two or three players that can hold their heads up tonight, but most will want to pretend tonight didnt happen. Six in a row looks inevitable.

culchie11

Agree ban side disappointed with Cargins effort, not with st galls who looked immense at times!

Too many for Cargin didn't perform.

Mickey pollock was v good I thought, Cargin couldn't cope with galls penetrating runs and support play.

Thought ref had a good game, he let a few tackles go early doors, he could also have sent tony scullion off for 2nd yellow for a high tackle on Kevin mcgourty near end. Hardly a bad tackle all game though.

St galls are a serious outfit hope they go on and give ulster a good rattle, no disrespect to the johnnies.

Aghagallon caused an upset making the final against sarsfields.

Glenravel should edge aerodyne in junior also.

Saffrongael

Quote from: hardstation on September 08, 2012, 09:23:24 PM
Can't agree with you, ITG. St. Galls have better backs than Justin Crozier and Tony Scullion. In fact, Crozier has gone backwards IMO. Sean Kelly, Brady, Anto Healy and Andy are all as good. There isn't a great deal between Mick McCann and Aidso Gallagher. Conor, Kevin and Kieran McGourty, Niblock and Pollock are all as good if not better than Tomas, on their day.

St. Galls have by far the better footballers.

Tomas McCann is a proven inter county player, Kieran and Kevin McGourty are not, nor is Pollock.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 08, 2012, 11:16:24 PM
Can't agree with you, ITG. St. Galls have better backs than Justin Crozier and Tony Scullion. In fact, Crozier has gone backwards IMO. Sean Kelly, Brady, Anto Healy and Andy are all as good. There isn't a great deal between Mick McCann and Aidso Gallagher. Conor, Kevin and Kieran McGourty, Niblock and Pollock are all as good if not better than Tomas, on their day.

Tomas McCann is a proven inter county player, Kieran and Kevin McGourty are not, nor is Pollock.

Were you at the game tonight?

Anyway's, how crap are Cargin? That was woeful tonight. I think Cargin have went backwards which is a real shame, I really did (for some strange reason) think they would have been better, and in truth they had a lot of ball in the first half but missed a hatfull of chances, too many wides and players running down blind alleys (Scullion) Best Cargin play on show was young Boyle. Never give up and a decent footballer. The Cargin sub, cant mind his name played up front was lively and created chances but our defence was immense.

So Johnnies in the final and if there is one thing about the Johnnies is they love playing finals in Casement and will love to be playing us, that's for sure. Should be a ding dong affair.

Mid Down Gael

As a neutral at this evenings game I expected much more of a Cargin side with 5 county men and 2 or 3 former county men. In saying that St Galls where outstanding at times and their ability to play as a team and support each other was immence.
The Galls defence was superb, every player tight as can be and the pressure put on cargin frustrated them big time as their shooting was woeful, oboyle having the proverbial stinker.
Gallagher and Burke won the midfield exchanges wiile Pollock and the brilliant Niblock where best in attack.
I thought scullion and Kevin oboyle tried hard for cargin but I was very disappointed in the mccanns and crozier, who I agree has went backwards.
St Galls will give ulster a good rattle, Kevin Mcgourty will be back to full fitness come October and will provide the first 15 with another quality player.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2012, 11:45:21 PM

Anyway's, how crap are Cargin? That was woeful tonight. I think Cargin have went backwards which is a real shame, I really did (for some strange reason) think they would have been better, and in truth they had a lot of ball in the first half but missed a hatfull of chances, too many wides and players running down blind alleys (Scullion) Best Cargin play on show was young Boyle. Never give up and a decent footballer. The Cargin sub, cant mind his name played up front was lively and created chances but our defence was immense.

So Johnnies in the final and if there is one thing about the Johnnies is they love playing finals in Casement and will love to be playing us, that's for sure. Should be a ding dong affair.
Don't think they were playing for the county tonight  ;)

bhoy1888

aghogill are completey dung bags

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2012, 11:45:21 PM

Some cute hoorism there??!

That Johnnies team havent played in any finals, in Casement or anywhere. Maybe in the 70's or one or 2 at turn of century but not in more than 10 years has thaat club been in a final!

They had the easy side of the draw and Galls will beat them by as much as they want
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."