Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gatz

Anyone know what the craic is between Club Aontroma and the Irish News? Really random notice in the paper today beside the Antrim article, seemed to hint at a dispute?

glens abu

Quote from: James Gatz on September 04, 2012, 09:56:01 PM
Anyone know what the craic is between Club Aontroma and the Irish News? Really random notice in the paper today beside the Antrim article, seemed to hint at a dispute?

Just read that and it is strange,know club Aontroma PRO wrote for IN in their business section so maybe some sort of fall out there

Minder

Quote from: glens abu on September 04, 2012, 10:34:37 PM

Just read that and it is strange,know club Aontroma PRO wrote for IN in their business section so maybe some sort of fall out there

I would imagine it was the spat Kenny Archer had with Brendan Mulgrew a few weeks ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

glens abu

Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2012, 10:36:49 PM

I would imagine it was the spat Kenny Archer had with Brendan Mulgrew a few weeks ago.

What was that over?

The Worker

Quote from: glens abu on September 04, 2012, 10:39:14 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2012, 10:36:49 PM

What was that over?

Irish news ulster all star selections

brendanbelfast

The 'spat' was merely Kenny losing the head because I suggested, via the Antrim twitter feed (@clubaontroma) that he may not have seen too many matches as he only selected his version of the All Stars from 3 out of 9 counties. He didn't take kindly to that and wrote an outrageous piece in the paper calling me a 'clown' a 'troll' and a 'carper'. It was an overreaction by any standards, in my view anyway.

bannside

Thanks for the update Brendan. Fair play for sticking up for/promoting our own lads.

See Brian Mc Ivor got the Derry job. No surprises there. Hell of a strong backroom team too, all as much experience as you need around clubs and county teams. Give them space and watch the improvement.

Mc Ivor = won all ireland club with Ballinderry. Numerous schools titles with St Pius. Managed Donegal. Assistant manager in Down, and my info was he was the main man the players looked up to. Got them from nowhere to an All Ireland final that they kicked themselves out of. Top Man.

Tally = coached the above mentioned Down team to All-Ireland final. Coached Tyrone to win all ireland on 2005 under Mickey Harte. Coaches manages St Marys training college in Sigerson cup. Top rated.

Crozier = Won National League with Derry in 2008. Managed numerous top clubs in both Derry and Tyrone.

Bernie Henry = involved as coach with the successful Derry all ireland minor winning team of 2003. Managed Cargin, and many other top club jobs.

Anton Moran = top rated young coach, county senior panellist but badly injured. Son of Mickey (will have recieved the best schooling and around county teams with his Dad all his life)

Now thats what I call a management team. Amongst them All Irelands senior and minor, All Ireland club winners, NFL winners, College winners, Vocational schools winners. Probably 100 collective years around top football teams between them.

THEY HAVE SET US A HIGH STANDARD TO FOLLOW LADS!

saffron sam2

Quote from: brendanbelfast on September 05, 2012, 11:06:48 PM
The 'spat' was merely Kenny losing the head because I suggested, via the Antrim twitter feed (@clubaontroma) that he may not have seen too many matches as he only selected his version of the All Stars from 3 out of 9 counties. He didn't take kindly to that and wrote an outrageous piece in the paper calling me a 'clown' a 'troll' and a 'carper'. It was an overreaction by any standards, in my view anyway.

Kenny made an awful clown of himself in that article. Haven't got a copy, but IIRC he stated that he had been to 7 of the 8 Ulster championship matches, two qualifiers and none of the quarterfinals (because he was on holidays that weekend - would a serious journalist book holidays for the biggest weekend of the championship?). He claimed he preferred to pick players from matches he saw. So he saw neither of the Derry games, 33% of Cavan games and 25% of Antrim matches. Yet, he claims a couple of Antrim players came close to selection. He had problems about the anonymity of the tweet, but it was clear that he already knew the identity of the tweeter as did many, many others; any who didn't certainly do now. He also made it clear that he didn't have a Twitter account, yet is getting exorcised by something posted on Twitter. But the worst part was the veiled threat at the end.

No-one I know has even attempted to argue that Archer's column had any journalist integrity.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Milltown Row2

Massive match this weekend, really looking forward to this one. Cargin won't get a better chance this year (or any) to dump us on our arses. Semi final and up the country, we don't lose too many Antrim finals but have been edgey enough leading up to finals in the past. Will be some crowd down I'd imagine on Sat night. Could be a draw but I think all games go to extra time unless it's a final. Not sure on that one.

Naomh Gall to win in extra time. One of the McGourty's to get two yellows and Cargin man to get straight red (for sure)

Cargin carrying any injuries into this game?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

culchie11

I concur with outcome but not that venue will make that big a difference, mr2 as i have previously posted:

"I honestly dont think the venue will make that big a difference, galls will grind out the result & pull away in the last 10-15mins to win by 5 or 6. cargin indiscipline will again see to that. although i hope it to be closer, as it has the makings of a great game. think ciaran close is cargins main man & if he is on song they could just pip it, but have my doubts."

cargin will be missing paul mccann for his sending off in qtr final, apart from that havent heard.

be some crowd alrite, £8 is a bit steep but hopefully we get our monies worth!

DearyMe

Gonna stick my neck out! Galls by at least 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And turmoil in the Cargins ranks as a result!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

optimus cheese

Have to agree HS, was never a contest and 17 points was about right.
Why was PJ O'Connell not about tonight? Found that strange for Ahoghill but wouldn't have made any difference.
Tomorrow night may not be that clear cut, wouldn't be the shock of the century should Cargin win

culchie11

Disappointing showing from ahoghill, though they would have put up a fight at least.

Pj was away on holidays apparently!

Hopefully better game tomorrow in Creggan, can't be as one-sided as tonight.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: optimus cheese on September 07, 2012, 10:27:55 PM
Why was PJ O'Connell not about tonight? Found that strange for Ahoghill but wouldn't have made any difference.
Tomorrow night may not be that clear cut, wouldn't be the shock of the century should Cargin win

i have not seen one ball kicked in Div 1 of antrim this year, but i would be extremely surprised if Galls dont win tomorrow night (MR2 can give his Sir alex mind games all he likes )
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 07, 2012, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: optimus cheese on September 07, 2012, 10:27:55 PM

i have not seen one ball kicked in Div 1 of antrim this year, but i would be extremely surprised if Galls dont win tomorrow night (MR2 can give his Sir alex mind games all he likes )

We have aged like Cargin in fairness, both teams of a similar age and have had a fair battle over the years, I'm glad that we have won the majority of them but most (well on here) would like to see a change in the winners.

Tomorrow will be tight again, I just think we have enough forwards to score and in Niblock, a player who can make things happen. Should be a cracker. I hope all the players are fit and arrive withh the right attitude. Which I have no doubt the manager will have that installed in them. He's done a great job so far and would be great for him and the effort he's put in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea