Waterford Utd Sack Player for Playing in Cork Championship

Started by dublinfella, October 16, 2007, 10:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 17, 2007, 02:12:34 PM
Lynchboy - I think it is clearly accepted in employment law that you can be prohibited from working for competitor companies after finishing a job depending on your role etc in that company...
as louth exile points out, it depends on the previous contract - and it has to be written in great detail as to the job spec that you are performing and future job tasks , that will make a case to stop you taking up another contract from a competitor.
You could go to a competitor and perform a different role entirely - these things can be (and have been) challenged by certain mobil phone companies in Dublin and in general the company trying to stop the employee moving loses. Though there have been a few where the opposite is true.
Also some companies will not waste the time, money and legal fees to stop a person cross over - as it obv costs money in legal fees and also usually gives very bad PR to the company in question - again I know of examples between three of the major mobile phone operators in Ireland.

EU law is mostly geared towards the employee, and unless the contract and company and roles are identified in minute detail (which given the ineptitude of most companies and the three main mobile phone operators are superb examples of this) the employee 75% of the time seems to win.

Bogball XV

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 17, 2007, 03:32:52 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 17, 2007, 02:12:34 PM
Lynchboy - I think it is clearly accepted in employment law that you can be prohibited from working for competitor companies after finishing a job depending on your role etc in that company...
as louth exile points out, it depends on the previous contract - and it has to be written in great detail as to the job spec that you are performing and future job tasks , that will make a case to stop you taking up another contract from a competitor.
You could go to a competitor and perform a different role entirely - these things can be (and have been) challenged by certain mobil phone companies in Dublin and in general the company trying to stop the employee moving loses. Though there have been a few where the opposite is true.
Also some companies will not waste the time, money and legal fees to stop a person cross over - as it obv costs money in legal fees and also usually gives very bad PR to the company in question - again I know of examples between three of the major mobile phone operators in Ireland.

EU law is mostly geared towards the employee, and unless the contract and company and roles are identified in minute detail (which given the ineptitude of most companies and the three main mobile phone operators are superb examples of this) the employee 75% of the time seems to win.
Without wanting to get even more off topic, my understanding is that non-compete type clauses are virtually unenforceable any more - as LB says, most legislation is in favour of the worker.

Frank Casey

Even though club men bitch about it we have accepted the right of county managers to keep the county panelists out of club games while still involved in championship. Is this so different?? I don't think so. If he was under a contract that required him to save his energies for the soccer field then so what?

Any anyway St. Nicks lost to Nemo Rangers to make it worse!
KERRY 3:7

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: dublinfella on October 17, 2007, 02:28:22 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on October 17, 2007, 02:06:14 PM
I read this somewhere else yesterday, the other article stated that he left by mutual consent, he wouldn't guarantee not to play gaa, they said that's fine, but we're not going to retain you.  He had been warned after playing in the quarter final that he'd have to committ, but he went on and played in the semi - he knew what would happen, but was happy enough - sure wouldn't most of us do it?
Basically it's a non-story, surprised at you DF trying to get dredge up memories of the ban and create conflict about soccer - very out of character!

It was me who criticised the mentioning of the ban ffs.

Can you provide me with a list of topical events in the GAA I am allowed comment on?  ::)

How about the Dublin Football and Hurling teams. Then when you've exhausted all possible discussion on there there's the Dublin club football and hurling and sure if this is not enough for u there's always matches on the telly that u can give ur valued opinion on...  8)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...