Is there an All Ireland Hurling Final this weekend?

Started by Silky, August 29, 2007, 03:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

Just wondering. 4 days before it and nobody on a GAA Discussion Board is interested. This place is dead. Try here for some decent discussion

http://www.kilkennycats.com/

Bacon

He has a point 5times. Last year there was a thread running to 3 or 4 pages on the hurling final. This year nil. It's getting more like a Discussion Board for very young football fans.
Anyway Limerick are unchanged. When to the Cats name their team. No way I can see Limerick winning this. I expect it to be close for an hour and Kilkenny to pull away at the end. Just like they've done all year.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Goats Do Shave

Ok... I got my tickets yesterday, accomodation booked, looking forward to my 2nd hurling final in a row!

Can the sheer passion from Limerick over come the class of Kilkenny???

& will the 'King' Henry claim player of the year again??

By the way...I think the fact the Board has been split up has actually hurt hurling discussion rather than improved it! - it now has less 'drop ins'!

magpie seanie

I'd love to see Limerick do it (and no offence to the Cats) but its hard to see it. However, stranger things have happened and a couple of goals, a shower of rain or a wet day could change matters. From Limerick you will get savage heart and that is nearly always one of the ingredients for an upset.

Trying to continue making the case - KK's run to the final without facing a Munster team makes it hard to exactly gauge where they are. What, for example, if Galway were brutal and KK just made them look good with a lethargic display? Wexford being able to beat Tipp and then take a second trimming from KK looks a more reliable guide.

So hard to see the Treaty men do it but lets hope its a good game.

INDIANA

By the way...I think the fact the Board has been split up has actually hurt hurling discussion rather than improved it! - it now has less 'drop ins'!

there was zero discussion on hurling before the split- at least there is some now. Anyway there isn't much discussion on football these days just the banal rubbish about Dublin people in general from bitter Laois people or certain nordies who have a particular grudge.

On the final itself i  hope Kilkenny win. I think they are a hurling team- i think Limerick aren't. Limerick will hit anything that moves for the first 20 mins- if KK survive that onsault i can't see limerick putting up the requisite score required to win. They certainly won't score 5 goals on the kk defence and i can't see them hitting the 18-19 points needed to win. The massed defence won't work either for Limerick as Cha and these lads can score from 80 yards offeither hand. Kk are going very well in training according to observers and I'd be surprised if they don't win by 10 points.
For me there simply is a gulf in class - it's a lot easier in football for a mediocre team to beta a good team- doesn't happen in hurling except on very rare occasions and i don't see this as one of them.

Balboa

Kilkennny are even money -6 pts on Sunday, get the house on it.

Croí na hÉireann

Like most neutrals I'd love to see Limerick do it, a lot depends on how Begley plays and if Hickeys fit. I've a feeling that Limerick already had their final, much like Galway in 05...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

I can't see anywhere on the field that Limerick could have/generate a match-winning advantage.  I think that the Kilkenny -6 on evens looks very generous indeed.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I'd like to see Limerick do it, I know how much the genuine hurling people in Limerick would love to see an All Ireland again. Having said that, I cannot see the Cats being beaten. What I expect to see is ferocious intensity for about 40 minutes from Limerick, but Kilkenny are no shrinking violets and I would expect them to still be narrowly ahead at this stage. Probably a goal or something will come then and Kilkenny will suck the life out of a tiring Limerick to win by 8-9 points. I hope I'm wrong.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Going to be 2002 All Ireland all over again when Kilkenny always had the "upper hand" in the game over a spirited Clare side who had shocked Waterford in the semi final with a powerhouse display of agressive hurling .... deja vu anyone.

Limerick will take their tackling right to the edge on Sunday but that won't bother Kilkenny the way it did Waterford, Shefflin, Comerford etc are well able to take the abuse and keep hurling while anyone "dishing" it out to the likes of Noel Hickey, Tommy Walsh et al better be careful for what they wish for.

If the day is anyway fine at all expect Kilkenny to win by 6-8 pts after a tight and hard hitting first half - Limerick just won't score enough to win although I notice that they have scored 19 points a game this year which isn't bad but still six points off Kilkenny average point taking of 24. Limerick need goals to win this game but it's hard to see Kilkenny even at a push conceding more than two and I think that Limerick will need at least three to win.

Hope I'm wrong and would love Limerick to win but can't see it - minor game will probably be the better match on Sunday.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Everyone knows my old view on Limerick but John Allen has made me change my ways. It really hit home how I am every bit as evil as al-Qaeda.

So my view on the final is - whoever John Allen tips I'll go with that.

BenDover

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 29, 2007, 09:23:21 AM
Ok... I got my tickets yesterday, accomodation booked, looking forward to my 2nd hurling final in a row!

Can the sheer passion from Limerick over come the class of Kilkenny???

& will the 'King' Henry claim player of the year again??

How did you manage to get 2 tickets?? Might have to get involved in running the interfirms myself next year if this is one of the perks!!

As for the match I can't really see past the Cats but i def think Limerick will scrap for every ball and try as much as possible to play a high tempo game for the full 70mins so hopefully its closer than most expect

Goats Do Shave

Yup that's were they came from!  ;)

-You would need something to look forward to organising that!  :-\

Blacksheep

It will be over in 10 minutes. Rough tactics won't scare Kilkenny. King Henry and Brennan a goal each game over before Limerick start. Its the goals that will win. The Cats can get them; Limerick won't

Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

the procastenator

of course theres an all ireland hurling final u idot