Glenn Roeder Resigns as Newcastle United manager

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 06, 2007, 08:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

FermPundit

We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

From Setanta (BBC aren't reporting it yet anyway)

Newcastle United are said to have parted company with manager Glenn Roeder just seven days before the end of the Premiership season.
The news is sure to fuel speculation that former Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce will be appointed as Magpies boss this summer. Allardyce, however, insisted when leaving the Reebok that he had no job lined up, while Newcastle have also denied the link.
Newcastle's 2-0 home defeat to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday looks like the final disappointment for the Magpies under Roeder's reign, with the Magpies guaranteed of a finish in the bottom half of the Premiership table.
On the Allardyce link, chairman Freddie Shepherd commented in The Sun: "I've never spoken to Sam Allardyce and he has never spoken to me. I don't know where all this is coming from."

"Are said to have" sounds a little vague, no doubt he'll be on his ear before long

FermPundit

I feel really sorry for Glenn Roeder. I think he's a decent manager and he always comes across very well. The Newcastle board must have been plotting this for a while. Big Sam to arrive at the helm very soon!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

BBC now confirming he has resigned!
Jumped before he was pushed

Galwaybhoy

Every one mentioning Big Sam as the man to replace him.  I found it a strange time for Sam to leave Bolton so this could have been planned, maybe Roader knew he would be sacked if he didnt leave.  Big Sam done a great job over Bolton and the only way s down now for that club.  They could never do much better than 5th or 6th place.  Newcastle are a bigger club, but the way things have been going in that club for the last few years it will be a tough job.

I always liked Roeder, always seemed like a genuine man, I can only wish him the best in the future.