Rugby In Ireland - Sky's the Limit?

Started by Tankie, March 23, 2009, 09:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 21, 2009, 11:34:32 PM
Felix Jones looks a real find - hard to believe Leinster let him go to Munster.

Poached is the word.

By the time Cheika found out Munster and Jones had the deal done, and Cheika was a very unhappy bunny.

That is according to the Norn Iron eejit Robson who does some of the Sky Sports rugby commentary.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 22, 2009, 12:26:45 AM
Two Lilywhites, Mcfadden played underage football all way up to minor with Suncroft I think, seemingly a serious talent and Carr player hurling and football for Ardclough.

Declan Kidney is some coach, the man with the golden touch.

Grand Slam, Triple Crown, Heineken Cup, Magners League and Churchill Cup Champions 2009!

Although I never saw rugby as a threat to GAA there is now two new adult clubs affliliated to Leinster Rugby, Carlow Institute of Technology and North Meath.

Sure if he's a Suncroft man he should be playing for another 20 years or so!  ;)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Redhand Santa

I think the prices released by the IRFU in recent days shows why rugby is unlikely to take over from the gaa. They seem intent on only catering for the high class of society and aren't interested in attracting new fans. It could also be argued that due to the success of local teams in recent years that rugby has hit its peak in terms of attracting new members and maybe hasn't done enough to capitalise on its new found popularity.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 21, 2010, 10:24:14 AM
I think the prices released by the IRFU in recent days shows why rugby is unlikely to take over from the gaa. They seem intent on only catering for the high class of society and aren't interested in attracting new fans. It could also be argued that due to the success of local teams in recent years that rugby has hit its peak in terms of attracting new members and maybe hasn't done enough to capitalise on its new found popularity.
aye, the gaa would never charge more than the ordinary man could afford :D :D :D

All these sports are being left with no choice but to try and generate revenue from their marquee games as their cost bases are so high.  If there was a bit more sharing and bit less stupidity in terms of stadia, that would've alleviated the problems to an extent, but, pissing contests were the order of the day.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 21, 2010, 03:55:40 PM
aye, the gaa would never charge more than the ordinary man could afford :D :D :D

All these sports are being left with no choice but to try and generate revenue from their marquee games as their cost bases are so high.  If there was a bit more sharing and bit less stupidity in terms of stadia, that would've alleviated the problems to an extent, but, pissing contests were the order of the day.

€45 into the All Ireland semi final tomorrow with tickets available for kids at €5. Compare this to €340 for 4 friendly games with no individual tickets available and kids tickets at something like €45 a game. I know who's getting the better value!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 22, 2010, 12:03:00 AM

€45 into the All Ireland semi final tomorrow with tickets available for kids at €5. Compare this to €340 for 4 friendly games with no individual tickets available and kids tickets at something like €45 a game. I know who's getting the better value!
You can get in to see an Irish League match for a tenner, but that doesn't mean you're getting value for money. Rubbish is still rubbish even when it's cheap. It's the IRFU's refusal to sell individual tickets which has fans up in arms. Many would be prepared to pay 80 euros or so for a match: you're seeing top class international sport in a brand new stadium, so if you're only going to see one match, you don't mind pushing the boat out. Very few, however, can afford to go to a set of matches.

ziggysego

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 22, 2010, 07:06:58 PM

You can get in to see an Irish League match for a tenner, but that doesn't mean you're getting value for money. Rubbish is still rubbish even when it's cheap. It's the IRFU's refusal to sell individual tickets which has fans up in arms. Many would be prepared to pay 80 euros or so for a match: you're seeing top class international sport in a brand new stadium, so if you're only going to see one match, you don't mind pushing the boat out. Very few, however, can afford to go to a set of matches.

You saying that the GAA is rubbish?
Testing Accessibility

Myles Na G.

Quote from: ziggysego on August 22, 2010, 08:03:45 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 22, 2010, 07:06:58 PM

You saying that the GAA is rubbish?
No, but having reread my post I can see why you'd think that. I just meant that a low price for a ticket (any ticket) is no guarantee of value.

ziggysego

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 22, 2010, 08:08:45 PM
No, but having reread my post I can see why you'd think that. I just meant that a low price for a ticket (any ticket) is no guarantee of value.

Ah, fair enough.
Testing Accessibility

Redhand Santa

Don't think there'd be anyone today asking for there money back and would be very suprised if the rugby supporters are treated to as high a level of entertainment in the Autumn internationals.