2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on July 16, 2019, 11:30:39 AM
If a young fit lad can't stay fresh and recover in 7 days, there's something wrong. He'd be fully recovered in 3-4 days provided he's not injured. Mentally, that's another question, especially if you're coming off a loss. For example, Westmeath in hurling were not helped at all. But I believe the 1 week turn around did us no harm, in this particular context. I will admit though, that 2 weeks is likely more ideal in general. I'm just saying that I don't think we were harmed with the one week turn around this year. We were out on our feet in the 2nd half due to going down to 14 and competing against a top, top side, not because we were still feeling the effects of the Dublin game, in my opinion.

It's all relative I suppose.  Yes, a young lad should be fresh after a week but won't be as fresh as a young lad with 2 weeks recovery. If every team was playing week after week I would have no objection. It is a about the natural physical and mental advantage that a team has with relatively more rest.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on July 16, 2019, 11:54:50 AM
An outstanding campaign of success and development. Well done to everybody concerned. It's important now that the players all view this as the start of the journey, not the destination. Tough and all as this year was, training wise, next year will be even tougher. Year two of a S+C and fitness program involves a hell of a lot harder work than year one. The players will have to embrace this. Imagine how much more physically difficult it will be playing Wexford instead of Westmeath. They will probably need to be doing something on their own outside of their own club training even before the county panel re-assemble. The hurling, which is much improved, needs to go to another level again. The Leinster championship is nowhere for a 95% touch. It must be 100% all the time. The encouraging thing is that I think we have a group of players who will want to do this. I'm not sure that bringing back those lads who said no this time last year is the way forward. I'd leave them where they are.
Finally, i have to compliment the players on how brave and composed they have been in all the games. They played some great hurling, always looking to pick out a man in a good position, not belting aimless balls away. It was brilliant to see. Well done to them all. The building blocks of many years are now finally firmly in place. Time to build again.

We can't afford this. I wouldn't be begging anyone but would be delighted if lads like Leigh Bergin and CiarĂ¡n Collier decided they wanted to get on board this winter.

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

johnnycool

Quote from: G@@ on July 16, 2019, 06:05:56 PM
An excellent read... https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0715/1062200-six-county-leinster-wont-fix-gaas-scandalous-failure/

Christy is a sound lad and never too far off the mark but IMO the problem with Hurling and Hurling development, League and Championship structures is that these decisions are all too often left to the elite hurling counties to make and they consistently pull the drawbridge up after themselves with little or no thought given to the middle and lower tiers in hurling.

Look at the makeup of every hurling development committee in the last decade or so. All from the likes of Clare, Cork, Tipp and so forth with maybe one token gesture of a Sambo McNaughton or the likes.

I keep banging on about this but it was an unmitigated disgrace that the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard finals were moved away from being played before the AI semi-finals and done under the watchful eye of a Kilkenny man in Nicky Brennan and has never been changed back since.

The token gesture-ism of the playoffs for the two Joe McDonagh finalists to play a week later, thankfully Laois were able to get one over on the Dubs to shine a light on this is another example of this and I could go on.

Mossy Bruce

"Leinster hurling to plot [plod their] way forward"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/leinster-hurling-to-plot-way-forward-38320156.html

"The addition of a sixth team to the Leinster Championship has been taken off the table until the three-year trial for the existing championship structures is completed."

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 17, 2019, 08:02:52 PM
"Leinster hurling to plot [plod their] way forward"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/leinster-hurling-to-plot-way-forward-38320156.html

"The addition of a sixth team to the Leinster Championship has been taken off the table until the three-year trial for the existing championship structures is completed."

If we manage to be competitive next year, then they will likely move ahead with a 6 team championship. If we get our arses handed to us then they won't be so keen (and maybe we won't be either).

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Giovanni

Nice to see Enda  Rowland, Jack Kelly and Mark Kavanagh recognized on the Sunday Game.

Mad Mentor

It must have been difficult for Enda to talk about a team which he had a legitimate claim to be part of.

G@@

Quote from: Giovanni on August 18, 2019, 11:33:53 PM
Nice to see Enda  Rowland, Jack Kelly and Mark Kavanagh recognized on the Sunday Game.

It was very good to see, and you could sense from the conversations last night that there is an acknowledgement from RTE Sunday Game that the counties ranked 10th and lower have been ignored and it might be addressed a bit better next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to have some of the lads mentioned above nominated for an all star either - however I would be shocked if any Laois player got the actual award.

seafoid

Respect from the world of hurling

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/champions-tipperary-have-11-names-on-all-star-shortlist-1.4030404

"Laois are also duly rewarded for their Joe McDonagh Cup winning season with two (All Star) nominations, both goalkeeper Enda Rowland and defender Jack Kelly making the 45-man cut after a campaign that also included a championship win over provincial rivals Dublin."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Don Draper

Paddy Purcell has been hard done by but alls good besides. Zoom is going to have company very soon.

redsetanta

It's great recognition for the lads, and for the whole team really, and a reward for the months of training etc. It's been a great year and hopefully we can continue improving next year.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

Great to see some recognition for all the hard work. Would agree that Paddy Purcell and maybe Mark Kavanagh can feel unlucky but it was all about the team this year which was probably the most pleasing aspect of it.