Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Quote from: Throw ball on August 27, 2017, 11:07:17 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 27, 2017, 10:27:02 PM
Firstly congrats to the Dubs today not only a magnificent footballing side but some of the best supporters in the business...

I am almost glad that Tyrone and more so mickeys system has taking an unmercifull tanking. I hope that this is the final nail in the coffin.  I have followed Tyrone for over 35 years now. This is a county which could always produce some of the greatest talents of the game. It is the county that produced Iggy Jones Frankie Donnelly Frank McGuigan Peter Canavan Stephen O Neill. Players of the highest calibre.  The cancer which inflicts this county is the negative rubbish that is fostered in Garvaghy over the last 10 years. Young players on development squads are prevented from playing attacking football instead encourage to play the % system. Our senior teams ape the dross played at county level and you have great clubs like Carmen Ardboe Dromore Killycloghrr and Errigal playing the same defensive systems that make our games unwatchable. I really hope that there is a root and branch review of the direction that this county is being dragged down and the required changes made before we are left with nothing but robot's.

I have to agree with most of this.

I think also it is interesting that when Peter Donnelly was with Cavan they had a number of Ulster under 21 wins but couldn't do anything in All Ireland series.  Tyrone now seem to be following a similar path.

As an Armagh man it is expected that some Tyrone ones will point to what the match today says about Armagh.  Personally this year I would prefer to be an Armagh supporter than a Tyrone one. [/b]

Well personally I'm 100%  more happy to be a Tyrone GAA supporter than an Armagh one.  First of all, even if we are not AI material, 15 years on we continue to hand the Orchard their hole on a plate 9 times out of 10 when we meet them -
and the gulf in class continues to grow.  Secondly because as a Tyrone fan not many teams outside Dublin, Kerry, Mayo will beat us but not only can Armagh not buy a win in Ulster, they can't even  rule out  teams like Kilkenny footballers, Harland and Wolff Dry-liners GAA   and Isle of Man Gaels running thru like Frank McGuigan himself...

ONeill

The most crucial moment was the build up to the Dub goal. Sludden played a lazy ball after winning a kick out.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedHand88

Look. Thing is I'm satisfied as a Tyrone fan. Look at other counties who have been on a par with us during the Harte era and have fallen the other side of the so called top 4 barrier (Armagh, Derry, Cork, Donegal this year). Would I take any of them over us right now? Course not. We are still in a good place.

WT4E

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 28, 2017, 12:26:36 AM
Look. Thing is I'm satisfied as a Tyrone fan. Look at other counties who have been on a par with us during the Harte era and have fallen the other side of the so called top 4 barrier (Armagh, Derry, Cork, Donegal this year). Would I take any of them over us right now? Course not. We are still in a good place.

Dublin 2-23 Kildare 1-17
Dublin 2-17 Tyrone 0-11

trileacman

Quote from: WT4E on August 27, 2017, 11:48:13 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 27, 2017, 11:38:57 PM
It's easy to say the direction is wrong but Dublin beat Kerry 2 years ago just as convincly as that today but by a smaller margin. Show me the team/tactics that can beat Dublin and I'll happily follow them. Mayo have a fabulous marking/runnning back line but we don't just have defenders to that calibre.

Our no.1 priority now must be to develop proper man markers who can stand on their own two feet. Our fb line is far to lightweight. I'd build any defensive fb line now around hampsey

What i'm saying is i think because of our style of play we are behind Kerry and Mayo - whilst I think we match up to them man to man quite well our players don't have freedom. Dublin is a different case no one matches up to them man to man IMO.

Played neither Kerry or mayo this year so can't say we are behind them. Let's see what mayo do in the final and we'll know better where we're at.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

Agh that was shit from Tyrone and I was afraid beforehand of the one trick pony syndrome but Dublin without a hand put near them and playing against a totally crap system were immense. They can rightly claim to be up there with the very best. Wonderful Foot balling machine. I seen things in that game tactically I had never seen before. Dub players are streets ahead of our group. Sad to see big sean go out like that but he retired many a good one in his time in similar situations. others may need to follow as Croker park gets no smaller and a roasting like that usually means the end. . But let's debate that later. Well done dubs!

INDIANA

omagh_gael

What else can I say other than a huge congrats to the Dubs. Put us firmly in our box and exposed all our weaknesses with a brutal efficiency. Would love to see Mayo get over the line but just can't see it. The dubs appear to be getting even better with the addition of players like O'Callaghan.

Our approach really needs to change and if we continue to see Bradley play uo front by himself in the league next year I'd seriously reconsider ploughing as much time into county football as I do now. We would beat the vast majority of teams in Ireland playing a more orthodox system with the players we have and leave ourselves little or no chance against the main players.

What pissed me off today was our approach to the Dublin kick outs. We neither let them have it and protected fully nor did we properly attack it with a proper press. I list count of the number of times when we pushed men up but still left one simple kick out option for Cluxton. Totally ludicrous.

I'd post more but couldn't be arsed.

Best of luck to the Dubs in the final, no one could begrudge them a three in a row. Less said about the money the better too. I think we are witnessing the best team of all time. They have no obvious weaknesses.

omaghjoe

Who was lad lad that socred the first goal, seems like a decent player :P

Nah seriously fair play to Dublin they are a great team they steam rollered us without breaking sweat. They are a great team, Gutted at the result obiviously and dispointed that we couldnt test theirmettle even a little, but their ability is just too high.
I think we could have put up a better showing if we hadnt conceded O'Callaghan's goal and it was a very sloppy pass that lead to it but what can you do. IF it had been tighter they would probably have kicked through the gears and picked us apart.
Our own performance was disappointing also. Defence wasnt up too scratch and chances were not taken, how much of this is down to Dublin being too good is another question but I felt we could have performed better.
Harsh ruthless lesson for alot of the young players but at least we know were the bar is now (or at least an idea) and it will be a learning experience.
Sad to see Sean hanging up the boots he's a giant of a footballer and man and owes us nothing
I think Harte would like to stay on and hopefully he will be let, I think we have an AI in us next year if we maintain the squad setup.

omochain

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 28, 2017, 12:15:28 AM
Firstly congrats to the Dubs today not only a magnificent footballing side but some of the best supporters in the business...

I am almost glad that Tyrone and more so mickeys system has taking an unmercifull tanking. I hope that this is the final nail in the coffin.  I have followed Tyrone for over 35 years now. This is a county which could always produce some of the greatest talents of the game. It is the county that produced Iggy Jones Frankie Donnelly Frank McGuigan Peter Canavan Stephen O Neill. Players of the highest calibre.  The cancer which inflicts this county is the negative rubbish that is fostered in Garvaghy over the last 10 years. Young players on development squads are prevented from playing attacking football instead encourage to play the % system. Our senior teams ape the dross played at county level and you have great clubs like Carmen Ardboe Dromore Killycloghrr and Errigal playing the same defensive systems that make our games unwatchable. I really hope that there is a root and branch review of the direction that this county is being dragged down and the required changes made before we are left with nothing but robot's.

I think also it is interesting that when Peter Donnelly was with Cavan they had a number of Ulster under 21 wins but couldn't do anything in All Ireland series.  Tyrone now seem to be following a similar path.

As an Armagh man it is expected that some Tyrone ones will point to what the match today says about Armagh.  Personally this year I would prefer to be an Armagh supporter than a Tyrone one. [/b]

Well personally I'm 100%  more happy to be a Tyrone GAA supporter than an Armagh one.  First of all, even if we are not AI material, 15 years on we continue to hand the Orchard their hole on a plate 9 times out of 10 when we meet them -
and the gulf in class continues to grow.  Secondly because as a Tyrone fan not many teams outside Dublin, Kerry, Mayo will beat us but not only can Armagh not buy a win in Ulster, they can't even  rule out  teams like Kilkenny footballers, Harland and Wolff Dry-liners GAA   and Isle of Man Gaels running thru like Frank McGuigan himself...

I suppose we can all take the positives from a hammering... and then there is you

rrhf

Has Gavin Devlin much influence?

lenny

Quote from: rrhf on August 28, 2017, 06:50:40 AM
Has Gavin Devlin much influence?

Yes, he always says the first decade of the rosary.

punt kick

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 28, 2017, 12:15:28 AM

You must be gutted by that hammering, slap it up you, Tyrone are the big one in Ulster and a second rate team outside it, away and lick your wounds, the worse performance I have ever seen in croke park, trailing and Tyrone just sat back and let Dublin totally embarrass them.  You should be thankful Dublin didn't get out of second gear - yerrrrroooooo you ballbag!

Il Bomber Destro

The lack of intensity from Tyrone yesterday was the most disappointing thing.

The goal for a start was as a result of Sludden overhitting a simple hand pass, Dublin breaking and McNamee making the most pathetic attempt you'd see to stop O'Callaghan. If you look at the contrast with Dublin yesterday, they were hunting in packs, they were checking runs and niggling at their markers, the rare time a man got into a dangerous area he was stopped fairly or unfairly, but he was stopped. There was none of that from Tyrone yesterday which made it all the more disappointing.

Tyrone this year have been retreating back and then hitting teams on the 45 and turning them over, today was disgraceful. Dublin were allowed work the ball into the 30 yard line without a glove on them. Andrews, Rock and Mannion etc were all allowed to win ball in there without a glove laid on them and the lack of pressure applied was baffling. Was it down to tactics of the players afraid of their lives of what Dublin could do to them. Probably a bit of both.

The mentality of the side was all wrong today. The tactics on the Dublin kickouts were disgraceful, when we went to push up on the kickouts we were still leaving a man completely unmarked in a pocket of space between midfield and half back. When you push up on kickouts you have to go man for man on everyone, we didn't - we left one guy free all the time.

Colm Cavanagh battled gallantly, took a few great scores but outside of that it was fairly bleak. A rethink is needed for sure.

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 28, 2017, 12:26:36 AM
You went to Dublin looking for a woman and she laughed at you. That is where Tyrone are.

https://youtu.be/bd2B6SjMh_w

Armagh Down Galway Roscommon are further into the rebuild. Tyrone will be in remedial class with Meath
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU