We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Taylor on June 16, 2017, 01:30:46 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 16, 2017, 12:10:50 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 16, 2017, 10:40:30 AM
DC was royally stitched up here - feel sorry for him (cant believe I said that).

If he had been sent off at the time then no problem but to nail him after the game simply doesnt sit well with me.

GAA needs to get its house in order ASAP

If he'd have been sent off at the time for the same infraction, i.e. minor physical interference with an official he'd have got 12 weeks minimum anyway, would he not?

GAA certainly needs to sort out the consistency with the rules and how they are applied as there's no consistency from one week to the next.

Yes he would have got 12 weeks and it would have been all above board.

But to ignore the office at the time (considering he put his hand on the linesman how could he or the referee have 'missed' it?) and then retrospectively do him for it shows it was all done cloak and dagger.

The most surprising part of all this is that a Dub has been banned

I know, that was the biggest shock to me too.   ;)

Taylor

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 16, 2017, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2017, 01:20:45 PM
Some people here need to get out of the stone age mentality where citing is unfair or not commonplace in football, hurling, rugby, american football and indeed nearly every major sport on Earth with any sense whatsoever.

Crime equals time. It is so simple and so very fair.

Yes, there seems to be a mindset here that it's not a crime if you are not caught the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqcEq1hsT6s

Yes - we should be following up but it has to be done consistently. No one is saying we should ignore offences.

Lets hope all incidents are reviewed during the Summer and offenders banned.

Such is the ineptitude of some of our referees however a lot of column inches and tv coverage will be dedicated to discipline instead of the games  :-\

Dinny Breen

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 16, 2017, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2017, 01:20:45 PM
Some people here need to get out of the stone age mentality where citing is unfair or not commonplace in football, hurling, rugby, american football and indeed nearly every major sport on Earth with any sense whatsoever.

Crime equals time. It is so simple and so very fair.

Yes, there seems to be a mindset here that it's not a crime if you are not caught the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqcEq1hsT6s

What was Fitzpatrick at raising his head into Dermo's knees  he could have done real damage to those knees. Wreckless!.
#newbridgeornowhere

Fuzzman

Taylor, they have to start somewhere and the more they let go the more it will happen.

As Tyrone fans, we saw this over the years where we said why are only some players getting called up and some are not and Phillip Jordan said this week that it was wrong.
Not everything will be caught on video and there will be an unfair bias against the teams who are on show but like the ref you can only punish what you see. If the ref makes a mistake then he's entitled to view it again and decide whether he needs to change his mind.

If a lad breaks the rules he deserves to be punished and it's ridiculous to say yes he done it and we can all see he done it but we'll let him off because we've not punished everyone before him for the same thing. That's just an excuse to ignore the infraction.

Some people take issue with the fact that who is controlling what the CCCC cite and what they don't cite. Is it at the discretion of TSG or Sky analysis. Of course they are going to comment on it first as they are doing the live game or the highlights that weekend. They are hardly not gonna say anything about it.

I would say the CCCC should meet with the ref maybe the next day to go through his report and discuss if there are any incidents he would like to see again and bring to his attention anything he might have missed such as a punch off the ball. Then they can make that public then on Monday afternoon rather than wait for a few days.

I wonder will they mention it on TSG this weekend? The lads at the Donegal v Tyrone game will have to be on their best behaviour as no doubt they will love to say "well the CCCC will have to deal with that after poor Dermo's problems"

AZOffaly

I think what Philip Jordan was saying was that frequently these appeals are just lads refusing to take their medicine, and as an organisation we need to cop ourselves on and both rewrite the rulebook (as I have been saying for years) and start taking responsibility for our actions. The sad thing about the appeals culture is that valid appeals are made look spurious because it's just the done thing. It's almost de rigueur to appeal as a first instinct. That's why I was pleasantly surprised when Connolly wasn't going to appeal, and in fairness he has just made a token gesture.

JoG2

DC was royally stitched up here - feel sorry for him (cant believe I said that).

If he had been sent off at the time then no problem but to nail him after the game simply doesnt sit well with me.

Look forward to a Summer of discontent and media/columnists spending more time talking about disciplinary and who is/isnt banned than the games.

Did someone grab his hand and puppet style it against Brannigan?

With the "ineptitude" of some of our refs, as you put it, the CCCC can review incidents, because believe it, inept or not,  refs , like players, will make mistakes. This allows offences like this to be dealt with if there has been an oversight during the match. Someone getting the minimum punishment after the game for shoving an official should sit well with you as it's mitigating against the "ineptitude" of refs.

Taylor

Quote from: JoG2 on June 16, 2017, 02:18:49 PM

Look forward to a Summer of discontent and media/columnists spending more time talking about disciplinary and who is/isnt banned than the games.

Did someone grab his hand and puppet style it against Brannigan?

With the "ineptitude" of some of our refs, as you put it, the CCCC can review incidents, because believe it, inept or not,  refs , like players, will make mistakes. This allows offences like this to be dealt with if there has been an oversight during the match. Someone getting the minimum punishment after the game for shoving an official should sit well with you as it's mitigating against the "ineptitude" of refs.

Ineptitude being that if a lineman or referee has been pushed how can it be missed or an oversight? Are you seriously saying an official missed getting pushed?
In anyone's book that is ineptitude of the highest order

Im all for punishment of the crime but there should be consistency in that everyone gets punished and no 'cloak and dagger' stuff as clearly happened here after the game

Fuzzman

What cloak and dagger stuff?
There was a line ball that the linesman called wrong from what I've heard.
Then there was the scuffle were the Wexford lads were trying to get the ball from DC
No doubt that's what the ref and linesman were focusing on at that precise moment. Brannigan was probably wondering "Shit did I get that call wrong" and Hurson looking at Connolly getting pulled back and waiting to see did that escalate.
They probably weren't thinking Connolly has interfered with the linesman here and so that's a different rule broken.
It was only when they calmed down and though about it afterwards or in the changing room afterwards that they realised they didn't deal with that very well. How is that cloak and dagger?

Do you think someone told them they MUST put it in their report to teach Connolly a lesson as he deserves a 12 week ban?

Personally I'm all on for using video evidence after a match to both get innocent guys off a suspension and to punish those that were missed by the ref. There is so much goes on now off the ball and often it goes unnoticed by the ref.
If all players knew there would be punishment via video evidence they would be a lot less likely to do what they are doing. Of course we want consistency though but to me this is a black and white case.

Taylor

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 16, 2017, 03:44:44 PM
Then there was the scuffle were the Wexford lads were trying to get the ball from DC
No doubt that's what the ref and linesman were focusing on at that precise moment. Brannigan was probably wondering "Shit did I get that call wrong" and Hurson looking at Connolly getting pulled back and waiting to see did that escalate.
They probably weren't thinking Connolly has interfered with the linesman here and so that's a different rule broken.
It was only when they calmed down and though about it afterwards or in the changing room afterwards that they realised they didn't deal with that very well. How is that cloak and dagger?

Do you think someone told them they MUST put it in their report to teach Connolly a lesson as he deserves a 12 week ban?

Personally I'm all on for using video evidence after a match to both get innocent guys off a suspension and to punish those that were missed by the ref. There is so much goes on now off the ball and often it goes unnoticed by the ref.
If all players knew there would be punishment via video evidence they would be a lot less likely to do what they are doing. Of course we want consistency though but to me this is a black and white case.

Completely agree as long as it is done consistently - cant pick an chose who is punished any longer or indeed go after whoever TSG calls out. This is the precedent.

As regards did someone telling the officials they should put it in after the game. I have no idea however I also know that the referee and certainly the linesman could have missed being pushed. Thas is just nonsense of the highest order

westbound

Quote from: Taylor on June 16, 2017, 03:57:02 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 16, 2017, 03:44:44 PM

Completely agree as long as it is done consistently - cant pick an chose who is punished any longer or indeed go after whoever TSG calls out. This is the precedent.

As regards did someone telling the officials they should put it in after the game. I have no idea however I also know that the referee and certainly the linesman could have missed being pushed. Thas is just nonsense of the highest order

Linesman couldn't have 'missed' it but
1) the referee might have 'missed' it
2) the linesman might have fucked up by not getting the ref to send off Connolly at the time
3) What does it matter now that Connolly has gotten the appropriate punishment

I also agree that the Sunday game nor sky sports shouldn't be setting the agenda on who gets retrospective punishment or not. But that didn't start with this incident!!

Avondhu star

How often have we seen these muck savages dragging off each while someone grabs the ball gone out of play?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Il Bomber Destro

I don't like the way it was made an issue of because it was Connolly.

Mayo Border

Here we go. Another 20 pages courtesy of the bomber.

westbound

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 16, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

It wasn't made an issue of because it was Connolly.

It was made an issue of because a player pushed a linesman.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: westbound on June 16, 2017, 10:12:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 16, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

It wasn't made an issue of because it was Connolly.

It was made an issue of because a player pushed a linesman.

It was a nothing incident.

Players are not allowed put their hands on a referee under the same rule Connolly got done under, it happened multiple times at the weekend.

Absolutely nothing about it.