We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

We've spoke enough about him. He's been handed down a 12 week ban. Close/lock the thread.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tonto1888

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2017, 08:23:46 PM
We've spoke enough about him. He's been handed down a 12 week ban. Close/lock the thread.

Is it not just a proposed ban? What does that even mean anyway

Main Street

Quote from: ballinaman on June 06, 2017, 07:20:40 PM
Quick question : if the ref had sent him off at the time, would he still be given a 12 week ban ?
Of course he can be given the 12 weeks ban, even if the ref had given him the red card at the time, 12 weeks is the minimum penalty for the offense. The ref can't give him the 12 weeks ban on the pitch.

Connolly was fortunate to only get the minimum12 weeks.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/871091238480609280

RadioGAAGAA

Regardless of Connolly... I think 12 weeks for physical altercations (in any way shape or form) is nowhere near enough.

Without referees, we have no games. Its hard enough to find any to referee, never mind good 'uns.

Ciaran Brannigan was relatively well protected in this match, there were a cadre of stewards and Gardai about, so it'd be easy for the pundits to pontificate on a big ban saying its unnecessary. But - it sets a low bar -for club games where the referee is all on his own, no other officials in sight and at the mercy of the footballers on the pitch. The referees need to know the association has their back and players/clubs will be so scared of the punishment that they are squeaky clean.

IMO, touch an official and you should be looking at 12 months. No questions asked.
i usse an speelchekor

ballinaman

Quote from: Main Street on June 06, 2017, 08:35:31 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 06, 2017, 07:20:40 PM
Quick question : if the ref had sent him off at the time, would he still be given a 12 week ban ?
Of course he can be given the 12 weeks ban, even if the ref had given him the red card at the time, 12 weeks is the minimum penalty for the offense. The ref can't give him the 12 weeks ban on the pitch.

Connolly was fortunate to only get the minimum12 weeks.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/871091238480609280
Sound for that,
The way some journalists and people are banging on about the ref and linesman should have dealt with it at the time and it would be over then....

mayoaremagic

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 05, 2017, 09:42:33 PM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 05, 2017, 08:19:58 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 05, 2017, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: highorlow on June 05, 2017, 10:05:23 AM
Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.

I'm sorry but there is need for this. For two All-Irelands we've been the victim of an orchestrated media attack before we ever did a thing.
Here is a high profile opponent that has clearly broken the rules. Whether the punishment is harsh or not doesn't change the offence.
And its not because its Connolly in particular, if it was a Galway lad I'd be looking for the same thing

+1

Media campaigns cost us 2 All Irelands in 2012 and last year. Our lads should have 2 All Ireland medals in their pockets. My opinion Connolly should be suspended for 6 months. GAA need to make an example of him.

Nonsense. Not being good enough cost you all irelands you idiot. Just when you think you might want mayo to win one someone like you comes along

That a fact fact tom. Maurcie Deegan cost us a All Ireland final last year. hopefully we get a fair referee this year

tonto1888

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 06, 2017, 09:10:49 PM
Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.

I'm sorry but there is need for this. For two All-Irelands we've been the victim of an orchestrated media attack before we ever did a thing.
Here is a high profile opponent that has clearly broken the rules. Whether the punishment is harsh or not doesn't change the offence.
And its not because its Connolly in particular, if it was a Galway lad I'd be looking for the same thing

+1

Media campaigns cost us 2 All Irelands in 2012 and last year. Our lads should have 2 All Ireland medals in their pockets. My opinion Connolly should be suspended for 6 months. GAA need to make an example of him.

Nonsense. Not being good enough cost you all irelands you idiot. Just when you think you might want mayo to win one someone like you comes along

That a fact fact tom. Maurcie Deegan cost us a All Ireland final last year. hopefully we get a fair referee this year

The FACT is you have lost however many AI Finals because you weren't good enough.

Avondhu star

+1

The fact that ye had no forwards had nothing to with it I suppose
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

mayoaremagic

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2017, 09:42:17 PM

+1

The FACT is you have lost however many AI Finals because you weren't good enough.

Not helped by media campaigns

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 06, 2017, 09:42:57 PM

+1

The fact that ye had no forwards had nothing to with it I suppose

That just a myth Cillian o'Connor, Alan Dillon, Kevin McLoughlin and Andy Moran. i would rather have them than Diarmuid Connelly

lenny

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2017, 08:23:46 PM

It'll obviously be overturned because video evidence can only be used when the officials have missed the offence. Connolly will be playing in the next dublin match.

Bord na Mona man

Dublin have a great record in getting their man off the hook and they've been fairly shameless in the type of incident they can wriggle out of.
Expect Connolly to beat this charge..

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 06, 2017, 09:52:36 PM
Dublin have a great record in getting their man off the hook and they've been fairly shameless in the type of incident they can wriggle out of.

Have Mayo not done the same in recent years? They had Keegan and Kevin Keane's bans overturned when they were clear as day red card offences.

By the letter of the law and through his own stupidity, Connolly has got himself in this situation. I don't think it was a big deal though, it was a nothing incident in reality and only for it was Connolly who committed it there wouldn't have even been any commentary about it.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 09:56:06 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 06, 2017, 09:52:36 PM

Have Mayo not done the same in recent years? They had Keegan and Kevin Keane's bans overturned when they were clear as day red card offences.

By the letter of the law and through his own stupidity, Connolly has got himself in this situation. I don't think it was a big deal though, it was a nothing incident in reality and only for it was Connolly who committed it there wouldn't have even been any commentary about it.

Do you think McGeeney deserved 12 weeks?

tonto1888

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 06, 2017, 09:43:18 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2017, 09:42:17 PM

+1

Not helped by media campaigns

There's no talking to you is there. If it was a one off you may have a point. It's not a one off. There is a mental weakness in Mayo. That along with not being good enough are the reasons you haven't won the AI