DIY thread

Started by Jim Bob, February 25, 2018, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: balladmaker on February 26, 2019, 12:26:52 AM
Anyone have experience relating to what looks like a black heat or scorch mark above thermostats?  Noticed a black mark above top left corner of heating stat this evening.  When I checked the other stats, the same mark was there on the wall as well above each of the stats.  Strangely enough, we had a breaker trip last night for no apparent reason at the time, so wondering if this relates to these black marks above each thermostat.  Anyone seen or heard about this before?  Thanks.

Dont know anything specifically on what you described  L(aoislad is probably your man on the electrics) but to be honest something like that I would be getting it checked straight away. Any evidence of  heat where it  shouldnt be is too big a risk.

take_yer_points

Quote from: thebuzz on February 25, 2019, 10:46:07 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on February 25, 2019, 10:26:43 PM
I'm recently into a new house and am planning a new lawn lads.

Top soil was brought in around mid November. I've weeded over the last 2 weekends, raked the soil to level it out, removed any big stones, etc...

I've fertiliser and seed bought and sitting here in the house and am half thinking about getting the seed sown this weekend. Am I a few weeks too early? Anyone any experience of this?

Apparently it's best to wait until late March at least. Even though it's very mild at the moment hard frost could kick in again any time before then.

Cheers lads, I'll leave it a few weeks

LeoMc

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 28, 2019, 07:02:22 AM

Top soil was brought in around mid November. I've weeded over the last 2 weekends, raked the soil to level it out, removed any big stones, etc...

I've fertiliser and seed bought and sitting here in the house and am half thinking about getting the seed sown this weekend. Am I a few weeks too early? Anyone any experience of this?

Apparently it's best to wait until late March at least. Even though it's very mild at the moment hard frost could kick in again any time before then.

That will give you another chance to weed again prior to sowing.

trueblue1234

Quote from: LeoMc on February 28, 2019, 09:27:29 AM

Leave it a few weeks, then spray the ground to kill of any weeds that should have started to show. Give it another 2 weeks then sow it out. Keep it well feed. 3-4 times a year and you should avoid weeds/ moss getting a hold.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

take_yer_points

Quote from: LeoMc on February 28, 2019, 09:27:29 AM

Even the thought of it!! I've a path to get sorted so that'll keep me busy for a couple of weeks

andoireabu

Trying to sort a dripping tap in the kitchen. It is a mixer tap so going to try and replace both washers first. There is a cutoff for the cold feed under the sink but there isn't one for the hot side. Looking at the cylinder in the hotpress there are three pipes coming out of it - one at the bottom I believe is the cold feed in, one in the middle of the tank and one coming out the top which I believe is the hot feed out to the sinks in the house.  This pipe goes to a T shaped junction that has a red gate valve on one branch of the junction but not the other. I'm thinking if I close this off then that should do it and I can drain the tap and change the washers. There are a load of other gate vales in the hot press but as nothing is labelled it is hard to know. Any ideas if I am on the right track?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

east down gael

Go up to the cold water storage tank and you will see two valves t the bottom.one is cold feed to your cylinder,one is cold to bathroom outlets.shut both,run hot tap at kitchen,once it has stopped running you can change washers.

Ambrose

If it's a mixer tap the cartridge will likely need changing.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

BennyCake

Seems like as good a place as any to post this...

Been smelling heating oil in the back porch of the house lately. No smells/leaks from the boiler/tank, and no smells outside or anywhere else in the house.

Lasted a few days last week, disappeared for a few days, but returned yesterday.

Neighbour on one side experiencing similar, but not on the other side.

Any ideas?

illdecide

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2019, 05:55:01 PM

Been smelling heating oil in the back porch of the house lately. No smells/leaks from the boiler/tank, and no smells outside or anywhere else in the house.

Lasted a few days last week, disappeared for a few days, but returned yesterday.

Any ideas?

One tea spoon of Kerosene will stink the place out, very strong odour. Get some blue roll and take a peice and check all joints at the oil tank and at the boiler including the metal like fuel flexi hoses (could be one or two depending if you have a Tiger Loop on) check joints and run the blue towel along the flexi hoses too as they can get kinked and leak. If you find nothing you must get your neighbour to do the same, if this comes up negative you'll have to check soil in gardens etc first by smell then by touch. Could also be something loose at the burner...just keep checking and making sure everything is tight (but not Farmer tight)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BennyCake

Quote from: illdecide on October 14, 2019, 11:54:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2019, 05:55:01 PM

Any ideas?

One tea spoon of Kerosene will stink the place out, very strong odour. Get some blue roll and take a peice and check all joints at the oil tank and at the boiler including the metal like fuel flexi hoses (could be one or two depending if you have a Tiger Loop on) check joints and run the blue towel along the flexi hoses too as they can get kinked and leak. If you find nothing you must get your neighbour to do the same, if this comes up negative you'll have to check soil in gardens etc first by smell then by touch. Could also be something loose at the burner...just keep checking and making sure everything is tight (but not Farmer tight)

Will do, thanks.

MoChara

I have an old shed with a corrugated steel roof, was thinking of converting it to a gym but it could be freezing in the winter, anyone any idea a cheap way to insultate it? can you spray foam insulation straight onto it, not too worried about how pretty it ends up

Milltown Row2

Quote from: MoChara on January 02, 2020, 01:53:42 PM
I have an old shed with a corrugated steel roof, was thinking of converting it to a gym but it could be freezing in the winter, anyone any idea a cheap way to insultate it? can you spray foam insulation straight onto it, not too worried about how pretty it ends up

Panel the roof with some wood,  Use the spray foam insulation and cover with a few sheets of plywood, then nailed to the frame! Perfect
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim Bob

Anyone got a good leaf vacuum for the garden ?  Back breaking stuff shovelling leaves into brown bin. Need something handier at my time of day.

under the bar

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 03, 2020, 08:24:09 AM
Anyone got a good leaf vacuum for the garden ?  Back breaking stuff shovelling leaves into brown bin. Need something handier at my time of day.

I've had a few of them Jim and I have trees everywhere!   Found the black n decker best of the blow/vac but when it eventually packed in I settled on a petrol blower and two of the big plastic 'hands' out of Home Bargains to lift them.  Much quicker in the long run than blow/vac/mulch and better exercise with a manageable bit of stooping.