Kevin Mc Stays resigns as Roscommon manager?

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 05, 2018, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Oldira on September 06, 2018, 01:10:26 PM
I am old enough to remember the 70s and 80s. In 1981/82 interest in football was really low. The 1981 season was a damp squib and in 82 only 17000 turned up for an All Ireland Semi final. Offaly then casued a massive upset and interest was rekindled. Dublin will come back to the back. In fact I would argue its happenning now. One Cluxton goes Dublin will be in bother.
As for Roscommon we are not a top 8 team but are a top 10 team. A lot of managers would be interested in the job but going for some journeyman will not benefit us. I doubt Rochford would take a step that far down so how about one of his backroom team? Tony McEntee would definitely bring some steel and defensive nous. I would thik he would love a tilt at management and a division 1 team would be a good start for him. There is absolutely nobody within the county worthy of the job yet.

By either league or championship or both, Roscommon are a top eight team, and consistently so..

brokencrossbar1

Tony McEntee is a non starter lads...how would someone like him make a go of it without the backing of Syferus?  He'd be on a loser from the minute he took the job

BallyhaiseMan

I only see this as a good thing from a Roscommon point of view... They conceded 4-24, 4-24 and 0-20 in the Super 8 and after the Dublin game Kevin Mc Stay  was talking about putting a "defensive system in,in the winter for the 2019 season", after two full years in the job.  ???   Roscommon have shown themselves to be a better team than Cavan over the last number of years and Cavan gave Tyrone a battle  to the finish and conceded 0-18. Roscommon massively underachieved this year in the Championship and have loads of talent.

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 06, 2018, 01:47:06 PM
Tony McEntee is a non starter lads...how would someone like him make a go of it without the backing of Syferus?  He'd be on a loser from the minute he took the job

With the rumours surrounding McEntee out west I'd be glad if he's a non-runner.. our board is prone to bad decisions, though.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 06, 2018, 02:18:48 PM
I only see this as a good thing from a Roscommon point of view... They conceded 4-24, 4-24 and 0-20 in the Super 8 and after the Dublin game Kevin Mc Stay  was talking about putting a "defensive system in,in the winter for the 2019 season", after two full years in the job.  ???   Roscommon have shown themselves to be a better team than Cavan over the last number of years and Cavan gave Tyrone a battle  to the finish and conceded 0-18. Roscommon massively underachieved this year in the Championship and have loads of talent.

We don't have loads of talent and we will have even less next year. McStay was our best manager in a quarter of a century and despite a few games where our defensive frailties ended the contests early, he got us to about the level anyone could realistically expect over the course of his three seasons.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 02:21:38 PM

With the rumours surrounding McEntee out west I'd be glad if he's a non-runner.. our board is prone to bad decisions, though.

We don't have loads of talent and we will have even less next year. McStay was our best manager in a quarter of a century and despite a few games where our defensive frailties ended the contests early, he got us to about the level anyone could realistically expect over the course of his three seasons.
If Galway and Mayo are on the other side of the draw , Ros need to win one match to get to
the last 8.
Cavan don't have that sort of luxury. If they did make it maybe they wouldn't lose their 3 matches.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 01:46:13 PM
I am old enough to remember the 70s and 80s. In 1981/82 interest in football was really low. The 1981 season was a damp squib and in 82 only 17000 turned up for an All Ireland Semi final. Offaly then casued a massive upset and interest was rekindled. Dublin will come back to the back. In fact I would argue its happenning now. One Cluxton goes Dublin will be in bother.
As for Roscommon we are not a top 8 team but are a top 10 team. A lot of managers would be interested in the job but going for some journeyman will not benefit us. I doubt Rochford would take a step that far down so how about one of his backroom team? Tony McEntee would definitely bring some steel and defensive nous. I would thik he would love a tilt at management and a division 1 team would be a good start for him. There is absolutely nobody within the county worthy of the job yet.

By either league or championship or both, Roscommon are a top eight team, and consistently so..

If you can't stay up in Div 1 and Roscommon will be odds on for relegation again in 2019 then you aren't a top 8 league team and reaching the last 8 of the championship isn't a enough to rated top 8 either. Top 10 is right with the potential to rise to the top 8 if the new manager can get Roscommon defending better.

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 06, 2018, 03:00:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 01:46:13 PM

If you can't stay up in Div 1 and Roscommon will be odds on for relegation again in 2019 then you aren't a top 8 league team and reaching the last 8 of the championship isn't a enough to rated top 8 either. Top 10 is right with the potential to rise to the top 8 if the new manager can get Roscommon defending better.

These designations are utterly pointless. Dublin are number 1. Everyone else lost. That's sport.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2018, 02:38:54 PM

If Galway and Mayo are on the other side of the draw , Ros need to win one match to get to
the last 8.
Cavan don't have that sort of luxury. If they did make it maybe they wouldn't lose their 3 matches.

We were blessed with easy draws last few years. I expect that to stop this year and that will be a good thing. The reality is we have not beaten a standing division 1 team since 2001 in championship when we bet both Mayo and Galway. Mayo were NFL champs, Galway eventual All-Ireland champs. That actually makes your countyman, John Tobin, our most successful manager in last twenty years.

Des Newton managed to beat an Armagh team that were relegated to Div 2 that year, and McStay managed to beat a Galway team that were promoted to Div 1 but were Div 2 that year. This year we beat Leitrim and an Armagh team minus a lot of good players this year, and that secured us an easy qtr final and then got almighty hammerings as reality set in. Some spin that as success but of course are just codding themselves. The dressing room was lost. Our county board and management had plans for another year. We needed change. I will nail my colors now that these lads will improve under new management.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on September 06, 2018, 03:11:20 PM

the last 8.

We were blessed with easy draws last few years. I expect that to stop this year and that will be a good thing. The reality is we have not beaten a standing division 1 team since 2001 in championship when we bet both Mayo and Galway. Mayo were NFL champs, Galway eventual All-Ireland champs. That actually makes your countyman, John Tobin, our most successful manager in last twenty years.

Des Newton managed to beat an Armagh team that were relegated to Div 2 that year, and McStay managed to beat a Galway team that were promoted to Div 1 but were Div 2 that year. This year we beat Leitrim and an Armagh team minus a lot of good players this year, and that secured us an easy qtr final and then got almighty hammerings as reality set in. Some spin that as success but of course are just codding themselves. The dressing room was lost. Our county board and management had plans for another year. We needed change. I will nail my colors now that these lads will improve under new management.

Nothing easy about getting to a QF with Roscommon.

Best Roscommon manager of my lifetime. Thanks Kevin. Now, back to being mediocre..

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 03:16:02 PM

Nothing easy about getting to a QF with Roscommon.

Best Roscommon manager of my lifetime. Thanks Kevin. Now, back to being mediocre..

Even you could have qualified with that draw. But we are better off getting Mayo or Galway in an early round in Connacht and earn our way there. We'll actually be a better team for it, or know we are not good enough sooner.

brokencrossbar1

Syferus in his rumours abound shocker ;D. I've heard enough about what was going on from much better sources than you and the failings of Mayo were very not from the line.

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 06, 2018, 03:36:13 PM
Syferus in his rumours abound shocker ;D. I've heard enough about what was going on from much better sources than you and the failings of Mayo were very not from the line.

I'm sure your sources would say that.. Tony should be able to build a castle with the fees he's been charging so he'll probably survive without the Roscommon job for a while..

GalwayBayBoy

the last 8.

The Rossies will hardly be blessed again with ending up on the opposite side of the draw to both Galway and Mayo for the 4th year on the trot.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 03:53:39 PM

I'm sure your sources would say that.. Tony should be able to build a castle with the fees he's been charging so apparently charging so he'll probably survive without the Roscommon job for a while..

What if he gets the job Syf?  Will you back him or will your vitriol continue?

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 06, 2018, 03:58:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 03:53:39 PM

I'm sure your sources would say that.. Tony should be able to build a castle with the fees he's been charging so apparently charging so he'll probably survive without the Roscommon job for a while..

What if he gets the job Syf?  Will you back him or will your vitriol continue?

I'd give him a chance. Nige on the other hand..