Kevin Mc Stays resigns as Roscommon manager?

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 05, 2018, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2018, 06:54:46 PM
Quote from: weareros on September 05, 2018, 06:21:46 PM
First off, I've been a critic. But want to thank Kevin and his team. The Connacht final and Portlaoise this year were two of my fondest memories supporting Ros and a privilege to be there. As with St. Bridgets, he always played football in the right spirit and attractive to watch when we were not out of our depth. I did feel he had taken this team as far as he could go, and next year would serve no one any benefit. Might of course regret saying that because we are not blessed with options. In fairness he did all small counties a favour by highlighting how difficult it is from a resource perspective, both money and players. He used his media savvy to go out in a good way.

Trying to compose yourself after the nonsense you posted about McStay rings very hollow here.

Everything I criticised McStay and his mgt team for was football related and take nothing back, in particular playing light forwards as backs, which I hope the new mgr will correct. And I have praised what was praiseworthy too. You on the other hand are in online arguments with not only nearly everyone in Roscommon but every other county person, too. Where you get the time and energy I don't know.

Rossfan

A dramatic evening in Roscommon as our 4th joust with an army officer ends badly.
I wonder can Kevin take his eejiteen cheerleader with him and lock him away from all technology for a month so people can have adult discussions on this and other subjects.
None of us critics of the management posted nonsense about McStay or McHale -we just pointed out what they had got wrong in managing our County team.
I wish them well personally and recognise Kevin's guts in leaving the waffle world for the real one.
Where do we go from here - one of our own or someone from the merry go round?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 05, 2018, 07:32:49 PM
A dramatic evening in Roscommon as our 4th joust with an army officer ends badly.
I wonder can Kevin take his eejiteen cheerleader with him and lock him away from all technology for a month so people can have adult discussions on this and other subjects.
None of us critics of the management posted nonsense about McStay or McHale -we just pointed out what they had got wrong in managing our County team.
I wish them well personally and recognise Kevin's guts in leaving the waffle world for the real one.
Where do we go from here - one of our own or someone from the merry go round?

You posted nearly exclusively personalised nonsense for three years. Takes some neck to deny what's in black and white.

Rossfan

Shut you stupid gob.
I never posted personalised stuff against the man.
Your a vile evil yoke.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 05, 2018, 07:36:27 PM
Shut you stupid gob.
I never posted personalised stuff against the man.
Your a vile evil yoke.

"€€€€€€€€€€€€"

"Cool clean cut hero smileyfacesmileyface"

QED.

seafoid

Something sad about this inevitable news. McStay always came across as decent and thoughtful as well as insightful. But the game is semi pro now and when counties with bigger populations get organised there is nothing for the Roscommons and Cavans.

There was one ambush

https://youtu.be/1q6otO_GLTY

and nothing else.
Orchard Park was talking about the Galway match in 98 a while ago. Ros could have won only for the ref and Galway weren't disorganised. They were very good. That seems like a different country.

The wider view is that Gaelic football is banjaxed

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2018, 08:56:12 PM
Something sad about this inevitable news. McStay always came across as decent and thoughtful as well as insightful. But the game is semi pro now and when counties with bigger populations get organised there is nothing for the Roscommons and Cavans.

There was one ambush

https://youtu.be/1q6otO_GLTY

and nothing else.
Orchard Park was talking about the Galway match in 98 a while ago. Ros could have won only for the ref and Galway weren't disorganised. They were very good. That seems like a different country.

The wider view is that Gaelic football is banjaxed

The game has evolved and will continue to do so. Banjaxed is a way of looking at it of course. Realistically it is a long time since a smaller population county won an AI.
The game itself has had incremental leaps forwards over the years. In more recent times the Heffo revolution upped the ante. Micko cranked it up in Kerry. There was another sea-change at end of 80s when likes of Meath brought intensity levels up another notch.

Tyrone and Armagh brought a more regimental and defensive savvy approach in early 2000s that left counties like Galway, Down and Meath floundering. Counties that had recently had considerable success.

Jim McGuinness brought defensive approach to a new level altogher and again it worked. Last couple of years it looked like Mickey Harte was playing Ultra McGuiness.

Dublin's approach is based on minding possession at all costs and patiently creating opportunities. They have 5/6 players that are brilliantly suited to that gameplan. Cluxton, Fenton, McCarty, McCaffrey, Kilkenny and Mannion are all 9/10 players and would be great in any gameplan anyway. The others are not bad either!

Last Sunday's AI final was very enjoyable. It was actually a very open game. There was space there for Dublin to exploit from the off, but they seemed a bit sluggish at the start. Only one point on the board after 17 minutes was more about their lack of control early than blanket Tyrone defence. Tyrone were creating chances the other end too and were very wasteful throughout the game.

The game swung after @20 mins because Tyrone lost their eary control when errors started creeping in. Dublin as such didn't have to do anything special -for them - to swing it.

The pattern down the years is that a county steals a march on others with a fairly radical new approach, backed up with enough quality players to make it work. I don't see any difference this time. To beat Dublin you have to be able to control the game. You can't control the game without monopolising possession. Very few counties will have enough of the type of players that can do that.

Rossfan

moysider

Rossfan

Can take imagine being stuck with Syfīn for a whole day :-\

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2018, 12:11:01 AM

Well I gave up on this forum for some time - wonder why?!
But some of ye lads seem to love bickering all day long, every bloody day. Ye gotta love each other to keep the 'old married couple' act going because ye are not going to change anything ye are arguing about.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 06, 2018, 12:32:18 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2018, 12:11:01 AM

Well I gave up on this forum for some time - wonder why?!
But some of ye lads seem to love bickering all day long, every bloody day. Ye gotta love each other to keep the 'old married couple' act going because ye are not going to change anything ye are arguing about.

You're here now big man.. addicted just like the rest of us.

tippabu

On a serious note, who would ye like to see in now? Rory Gallagher? Like tipp roscommon badly need a solid defensive structure put in place but would he go too far or given roscommon forwards would he adapt from the style he has at fermanagh. Even the likes of rochford, unlikely but would ye be happy with someone like that or is there someone within the county?

oliverkelly

Quote from: tippabu on September 06, 2018, 09:22:37 AM
On a serious note, who would ye like to see in now? Rory Gallagher? Like tipp roscommon badly need a solid defensive structure put in place but would he go too far or given roscommon forwards would he adapt from the style he has at fermanagh. Even the likes of rochford, unlikely but would ye be happy with someone like that or is there someone within the county?

Would not be happy with Rochford or Gallagher but i dont even think they would be intrested anyway. We will end up with someone like Dineen or Casey. Lads that will try their best but just wont be able to improve us. The lads heading overseas will be followed by a few more heading away next year.