Kevin Mc Stays resigns as Roscommon manager?

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 05, 2018, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Who we might get depends on whether " Benny Factor" keeps the wallet open or closed.
If closed we're going for one of our own who'll get expenses and free dinners if lucky.
Fergal is the first name that will come to mind but after what elements did to him in 2016......
Cake was U20 manager this year but acording to some was not the best.
David Casey up and coming, did very well with St Croans and Aughnasheelin.  However apart from assisting in 2016 gas no other Inter County experience.
Nigel (just to finish Syf off altogether), Mark  Dowd, Paul Tully or Paul Staunton have managed recent County under age teams.
And of course there's Gay Sheerin.

If €€s available then there are a number of journeyman professionals from the merry go round looking for positions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Better to spend the cash on a good coach and get a cheap manager than the reverse.

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 10:03:52 AM
Better to spend the cash on a good coach and get a cheap manager than the reverse.
Didn't ye get a brand new shiny coach there the last few years?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 10:03:52 AM
The reverse is what we had last few years  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2018, 10:40:40 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2018, 08:56:12 PM
Something sad about this inevitable news. McStay always came across as decent and thoughtful as well as insightful. But the game is semi pro now and when counties with bigger populations get organised there is nothing for the Roscommons and Cavans.

There was one ambush

https://youtu.be/1q6otO_GLTY

and nothing else.
Orchard Park was talking about the Galway match in 98 a while ago. Ros could have won only for the ref and Galway weren't disorganised. They were very good. That seems like a different country.

The wider view is that Gaelic football is banjaxed

The game has evolved and will continue to do so. Banjaxed is a way of looking at it of course. Realistically it is a long time since a smaller population county won an AI.
The game itself has had incremental leaps forwards over the years. In more recent times the Heffo revolution upped the ante. Micko cranked it up in Kerry. There was another sea-change at end of 80s when likes of Meath brought intensity levels up another notch.

Tyrone and Armagh brought a more regimental and defensive savvy approach in early 2000s that left counties like Galway, Down and Meath floundering. Counties that had recently had considerable success.

Jim McGuinness brought defensive approach to a new level altogher and again it worked. Last couple of years it looked like Mickey Harte was playing Ultra McGuiness.

Dublin's approach is based on minding possession at all costs and patiently creating opportunities. They have 5/6 players that are brilliantly suited to that gameplan. Cluxton, Fenton, McCarty, McCaffrey, Kilkenny and Mannion are all 9/10 players and would be great in any gameplan anyway. The others are not bad either!

Last Sunday's AI final was very enjoyable. It was actually a very open game. There was space there for Dublin to exploit from the off, but they seemed a bit sluggish at the start. Only one point on the board after 17 minutes was more about their lack of control early than blanket Tyrone defence. Tyrone were creating chances the other end too and were very wasteful throughout the game.

The game swung after @20 mins because Tyrone lost their eary control when errors started creeping in. Dublin as such didn't have to do anything special -for them - to swing it.

The pattern down the years is that a county steals a march on others with a fairly radical new approach, backed up with enough quality players to make it work. I don't see any difference this time. To beat Dublin you have to be able to control the game. You can't control the game without monopolising possession. Very few counties will have enough of the type of players that can do that.
The game is always changing but what is different now is the gestation period for a top level
county footballer.  20 years ago it was much shorter because the S&C wasn't emphasised. Now it is and that together with the art of building a team means only a few counties can compete. It also means dominant teams stay on top longer.
Smaller counties like Ros find this setup really hard because it is not just about talent. It is also about time commitment over several years. So the dropout rate is higher.

Maybe the inter county system is goosed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oliverkelly

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2018, 11:38:19 AM
I was reading McStay's parting shot.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/its-been-challenging-kevin-mcstay-steps-down-as-roscommon-boss-and-wont-be-returning-to-senior-intercounty-management-37286731.html

How much does it cost per year to keep the Roscommon footballers in the style to which they have become accustomed?

Not sure of a figure but i would say 90% of the panel is based outside of the county with the majority in Dublin. Paying travel expenses and transporting lads down is a monsterous expense plus feeding these lads who miss out on dinners while been stuck in a car most the evening. The likes of Galway and Dublin are lucky they a 3rd level education and decent employment within their counties they dont need to spend as much on travel

sligoman2

80% of Connacht senior county managers have resigned in the last 2 months.  75% of those vacancies are still unfilled.

Football is definitely in a dark period nationally and especially in the west..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 06, 2018, 12:47:45 PM
80% of Connacht senior county managers have resigned in the last 2 months.  75% of those vacancies are still unfilled.

Jesus that's some stat....you could have just said 4 and 3 :P

sligoman2

Oldira

I am old enough to remember the 70s and 80s. In 1981/82 interest in football was really low. The 1981 season was a damp squib and in 82 only 17000 turned up for an All Ireland Semi final. Offaly then casued a massive upset and interest was rekindled. Dublin will come back to the back. In fact I would argue its happenning now. One Cluxton goes Dublin will be in bother.
As for Roscommon we are not a top 8 team but are a top 10 team. A lot of managers would be interested in the job but going for some journeyman will not benefit us. I doubt Rochford would take a step that far down so how about one of his backroom team? Tony McEntee would definitely bring some steel and defensive nous. I would thik he would love a tilt at management and a division 1 team would be a good start for him. There is absolutely nobody within the county worthy of the job yet.

shark

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 06, 2018, 12:47:45 PM

I've been saying this for a while now. There is huge apathy out there among the playing population. For the vast majority of players there is no realistic possibility of getting enough out of inter-county football for what one has to put in to it. There are too many other things to do in life, thankfully.

larryin89

You'd imagine mcantee would be a good addition to Ros. For the past 4/5 years Roscommon have lacked that bit of Steel to push on to the next level .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Maroon Manc

Its a great job for someone using it as a stepping stone for a bigger job

sligoman2

Quote from: Oldira on September 06, 2018, 01:10:26 PM
I am old enough to remember the 70s and 80s. In 1981/82 interest in football was really low. The 1981 season was a damp squib and in 82 only 17000 turned up for an All Ireland Semi final. Offaly then casued a massive upset and interest was rekindled. Dublin will come back to the back. In fact I would argue its happenning now. One Cluxton goes Dublin will be in bother.
As for Roscommon we are not a top 8 team but are a top 10 team. A lot of managers would be interested in the job but going for some journeyman will not benefit us. I doubt Rochford would take a step that far down so how about one of his backroom team? Tony McEntee would definitely bring some steel and defensive nous. I would thik he would love a tilt at management and a division 1 team would be a good start for him. There is absolutely nobody within the county worthy of the job yet.

1981 was a damp squib for Roscommon because they were in the All-ireland the previous year and got a good beating in Markievicz the following year.  It wasn't as damp for Sligo people...