Kevin Mc Stays resigns as Roscommon manager?

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 05, 2018, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I see eejiteen still posting nonsense about his cool clean hero being the best manager in quarter of a century.
As the Cyaavan man said talking about a defebsive plan at the end of year 3 :o.
As well as most Rossies here it seems players too had lost confidence in the 2 Macs' managerial abilities ( and maybe Benny Factor as well).
Karma being what it is Nigel Dineen will probably get the job.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 03:16:02 PM
Quote from: weareros on September 06, 2018, 03:11:20 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2018, 02:38:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 02:21:38 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 06, 2018, 01:47:06 PM
Tony McEntee is a non starter lads...how would someone like him make a go of it without the backing of Syferus?  He'd be on a loser from the minute he took the job

With the rumours surrounding McEntee out west I'd be glad if he's a non-runner.. our board is prone to bad decisions, though.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 06, 2018, 02:18:48 PM
I only see this as a good thing from a Roscommon point of view... They conceded 4-24, 4-24 and 0-20 in the Super 8 and after the Dublin game Kevin Mc Stay  was talking about putting a "defensive system in,in the winter for the 2019 season", after two full years in the job.  ???   Roscommon have shown themselves to be a better team than Cavan over the last number of years and Cavan gave Tyrone a battle  to the finish and conceded 0-18. Roscommon massively underachieved this year in the Championship and have loads of talent.

We don't have loads of talent and we will have even less next year. McStay was our best manager in a quarter of a century and despite a few games where our defensive frailties ended the contests early, he got us to about the level anyone could realistically expect over the course of his three seasons.
If Galway and Mayo are on the other side of the draw , Ros need to win one match to get to
the last 8.
Cavan don't have that sort of luxury. If they did make it maybe they wouldn't lose their 3 matches.

We were blessed with easy draws last few years. I expect that to stop this year and that will be a good thing. The reality is we have not beaten a standing division 1 team since 2001 in championship when we bet both Mayo and Galway. Mayo were NFL champs, Galway eventual All-Ireland champs. That actually makes your countyman, John Tobin, our most successful manager in last twenty years.

Des Newton managed to beat an Armagh team that were relegated to Div 2 that year, and McStay managed to beat a Galway team that were promoted to Div 1 but were Div 2 that year. This year we beat Leitrim and an Armagh team minus a lot of good players this year, and that secured us an easy qtr final and then got almighty hammerings as reality set in. Some spin that as success but of course are just codding themselves. The dressing room was lost. Our county board and management had plans for another year. We needed change. I will nail my colors now that these lads will improve under new management.

Nothing easy about getting to a QF with Roscommon.

Best Roscommon manager of my lifetime. Thanks Kevin. Now, back to being mediocre..

Most woukd settle for beating leitrim and Armagh to get there ...... best in 25 yesrs...... John Tobin arguably achieved more with less

Cunny Funt

Quote from: weareros on September 06, 2018, 03:22:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 03:16:02 PM

Nothing easy about getting to a QF with Roscommon.

Best Roscommon manager of my lifetime. Thanks Kevin. Now, back to being mediocre..

Even you could have qualified with that draw. But we are better off getting Mayo or Galway in an early round in Connacht and earn our way there. We'll actually be a better team for it, or know we are not good enough sooner.

In fairness the tougher Super 8 group with no weeks rest before round 1 was where Roscommon have already found out they weren't good enough and i think 2019 should be the year to improve especially in defence.