New Championship Format

Started by APM, August 22, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred Football Championship format?

Current System
8 (10%)
Pre-2018 - Backdoor - No Super 8s
12 (15%)
Pre-2001 - Knock Out - No Backdoor
8 (10%)
Pre-2001 - Knock Out - No Backdoor - Enhanced League Programme
22 (27.5%)
Open Draw
23 (28.8%)
Tiered Championship
30 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 21, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

BennyCake

Open draw.

Never gonna happen though.

Ball Hopper

How about reversing the schedule completely?

Play provincial championships in February and March.  Provincial champions into last eight.

April remains club month.

May, June and first half of July for 7 league games for each county. Play two weeks in a row, then a week off. 10 weeks for all 7 games. Top 4 in Div 1 that have not already qualified via provincial championships make up the final 8 along with the provincial champions.  Div 2, 3 and 4 play a final among top 2 as current.

Straight knock-out for quarter-finals on would be most popular I imagine, unless some tweaks to Group structure was made - Game 1 see provincial champs at home, Game 2 between provincial champs at neutral venue (non-provincial champs in this round also at neutral venue).  Game 3 has the 4 non-provincial champs at home.  Game 1 last Sunday in July, Game 2 following weekend, Game 3 third Sunday in Aug.  Semi-finals over 1 weekend.  Final on second week in September if possible.

Straight knock-out would see quarter-finals no later than first weekend in August, both semi-finals on third weekend in August and final first weekend in September.

tippabu

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 22, 2018, 07:49:14 PM

Play provincial championships in February and March.  Provincial champions into last eight.

May, June and first half of July for 7 league games for each county. Play two weeks in a row, then a week off. 10 week for all 7 games. Top 4 in Div 1 that have not already qualified via provincial championships make up the final 8 along with the provincial championships.  Div 2, 3 and 4 play a final among top 2 as current.

Straight knock-out for quarter-finals on would be most popular I imagine, unless some tweaks to Group structure was made - Game 1 see provincial champs at home, Game 2 between provincial champs at neutral venue (non-provincial champs in this round also at neutral venue).  Game 3 has the 4 non-provincial champs at home.  Game 1 last Sunday in July, Game 2 following weekend, Game 3 third Sunday in Aug.  Semi-finals over 1 weekend.  Final on second week in September if possible.

Straight knock-out would see quarter-finals no later than first weekend in August, both semi-finals on third weekend in August and final first weekend in September.

I dunno about keeping April for the month of the club, I know in tipp we used it this year to its fullest extent and it has been a disaster, there is no appetite to us april for clubs again next year

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 04:07:13 PM
Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 03:45:09 PM
Which isn't a problem lads training all year and playing 2 games and done or teams playing in a championship where there are vast differences in levels?

For me it's a case of weighing up the positives and negatives and coming up with the best possible solution, some people won't be happy but if it's better than we currently have....I take your point though, I don't think provincial should be linked to all Ireland others do but I find it hard to say it's fair that Kerry and roscommon have two provincial games whereas the team in Ulster preliminary round has 4. I just tried to come up with a fair balanced all inclusive competition format. I'd love to have people pick holes in it and find problems or I could respond how I felt it would work. I'll never have any influence in the gaa so all it is is discussion and interest

Btw sorry to the OP if I'm after hijacking his thread.

I don't agree the lads are 'training all year and playing 2 games'. The League is a significant competition now, so I think it's untrue to say that.

What I was referring to is that a lot of people don't see a problem in uneven teams playing in the championship. For me, I like the hurling approach where the Joe McDonagh Cup teams are still eligible to compete in the All Ireland series, while still getting games against their own level.

I also like the Provincial Championships. And while the gloss is gone off for Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry, I know at least 20 counties would LOVE to win a provincial.

Fair enough, I take it you would be against provincial championships being a stand alone competition? What i put forward the league which i agree is significant become part of the championship to an extent. If theres another format similar to the hurling tiered system then that is another format that i would be in favour of.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 08:02:41 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 22, 2018, 07:49:14 PM

May, June and first half of July for 7 league games for each county. Play two weeks in a row, then a week off. 10 week for all 7 games. Top 4 in Div 1 that have not already qualified via provincial championships make up the final 8 along with the provincial championships.  Div 2, 3 and 4 play a final among top 2 as current.

I dunno about keeping April for the month of the club, I know in tipp we used it this year to its fullest extent and it has been a disaster, there is no appetite to us april for clubs again next year

Kerry completed all the club championships by early May.  Problem is the Munster Club doesn't start till November for the intermediate and junior champions.

There will be no clashes with senior county championship at least  - intermediate champions Kilcummin will be part of a strong East Kerry team, while junior champs Beaufort will be part of a Mid-Kerry team that saw 4 of the 5 teams relegated this year (including the once-mighty Laune Rangers going down to Div 4).

Blowitupref

I don't really see the point of starting county club championships in April when the provincial championships doesn't start until October or November.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 22, 2018, 08:09:54 PM
I don't really see the point of starting county club championships in April when the provincial championships doesn't start until October or November.

I'd agree with you...and the results are mixed, in that Kilcummin used a good April to help them get promoted to Div 1, but Beaufort couldn't build on the early success and were relegated from Div 1 on the last day.

An interesting question would be how many players went on travel in the summer, knowing they'd be in provincial games in November.

But asking players to peak twice a year though, April and November, is hardly correct in player welfare, is it?

rrhf

Quote from: trileacman on August 22, 2018, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2018, 12:55:36 PM
Think of what we'd lose if we got rid of the provincial championships...
Super post.

gimme a minute, I'm still thinking.

The joy of getting to the final that brought joy to so many Fermanagh fans this year, that same joy for Ros winning one last year. Carlows March through Leinster. The Donegal Tyrone derby that was a fixture for the last 8 years or so. The extra interest in competing for 4 extra trophies in a year that carry a world of significance and history with them.

I'm certain Fermanagh fans won't feel the same about the lure of the sky sports Paudi OSe cup as the 130 year odd quest for the Anglo Celt.

For some reason we've all become corporate executives since the Celtic tiger. Footballs in dire straits unless every match is competitive, played in front of a full house, broadcast free to air in Ireland but also around the globe. It's the greatest act of collective amnesia to ever affect the Irish populace, this idea that football was never before in its history ugly, uncompetitive or hard to watch.

The great concern  for so many people about the GAA is seemingly not what it is, not what it means or not what it's doing but it's how it looks on tv.

BennyCake

Open draw

1st/2nd week in May - round of 32 (2 legs, every team gets a home game)
1st week in June - round of 16
1st week in July - QFs
1st week in Aug - Semis
1st week in Sept - AI final

Clubs play the other 3 weeks between c'ship dates
Everyone knows the score
Dates set in stone

APM

This might sound a bit mad, but we're a serious slave to geography.  Could we not do the following:

• Have Ulster give Cavan over to Connaught - we wouldn't really miss them  ;D
  • Have Leinster give Connaught Longford
  • Put Laois & Offaly into Munster

This would leave all provinces on 8 teams, if you include London in Connaught.  Haven't thought about NY. 

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 04:07:13 PM
Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 03:45:09 PM
Which isn't a problem lads training all year and playing 2 games and done or teams playing in a championship where there are vast differences in levels?

For me it's a case of weighing up the positives and negatives and coming up with the best possible solution, some people won't be happy but if it's better than we currently have....I take your point though, I don't think provincial should be linked to all Ireland others do but I find it hard to say it's fair that Kerry and roscommon have two provincial games whereas the team in Ulster preliminary round has 4. I just tried to come up with a fair balanced all inclusive competition format. I'd love to have people pick holes in it and find problems or I could respond how I felt it would work. I'll never have any influence in the gaa so all it is is discussion and interest

Btw sorry to the OP if I'm after hijacking his thread.

I don't agree the lads are 'training all year and playing 2 games'. The League is a significant competition now, so I think it's untrue to say that.

What I was referring to is that a lot of people don't see a problem in uneven teams playing in the championship. For me, I like the hurling approach where the Joe McDonagh Cup teams are still eligible to compete in the All Ireland series, while still getting games against their own level.

I also like the Provincial Championships. And while the gloss is gone off for Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry, I know at least 20 counties would LOVE to win a provincial.

That would be my preferred structure too, however, therea re a significant number of people against entering into a secondary competition after starting out in the top tier.
Its impossible to please everyone.

I would be in favour of an FA cup style, where the 'big' counties only come in in the 3rd round. that gives the weaker counties the chance to 'qualify' for the AI series.
The provincials should be kept as a stand alone cup competition, but the days of them being part of the AI are probably over.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

APM - It's CONNACHT! !!!! >:(
They wouldn't be Provinces then - they'd be just Regions.
Kerry would still walk into the Quarter Finals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

APM

Sorry for (the) offending U  8)
Must be nearly as bad as calling the 6 counties Ulster!

Keyser soze

Do away with the provincials as nobody is interested in playing in them or winning them.

New York and London play a preliminary knockout game to eliminate one of them. [The GAA will figure out a cute hoor way to ensure London will always be awarded this tie as there are too many issues with New York and dodgy visas, the expense etc]

Champions League format or World cup format of 8 groups of 4 [Not sure of which of these formats to go for as they are both equally compelling viewing] on a geographic basis or a seeded basis. Or both.

Winners of the 8 groups go into groups of 2 and the winner of those groups plays the losers of one of the other groups, picked at random and played at a semi neutral venue. If the winners win this they go straight into the knockout stages where they will play 2 legged straight knockout matches, one at Croke Park and one at a neutral venue, if the 2 are different. If the losers win this game ditto.

Any teams adopting defensive tactics will get a stiff e-mail from HQ and have Tommy Carr assigned to co-commentate all their games for the next 12 months. If they re-offend this will automatically be upgraded to Dessie Dolan [or some other similar level of stupid]. If indeed that even exists. At this stage though, or indeed at any time in the future, there are no plans to televise any of these games.

Winners of the knockout stages are the champions and get presented with the Joe Duffy Cup

[But everybody else also gets a wee cup and a medal in case their feelings are hurt.]

Dublin will be put into a group where they will play a round robin series of in house matches, one at Parnell Park, one at Croke Park and one at a neutral venue with the winners presented with All Ireland and the Sam Maguire Cup.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM