Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

That World Series he was involved in was probably going to be his big pay day if he had have won that. He just wasn't able to build the profile of a Frampton or even Michael Conlan. 

Cunny Funt

Well done Katie Taylor who became a two-weight world champion in Manchester tonight

laceer

I see Frampton had a dig at George Groves for quitting. Didn't think that was in him.

From the Bunker

Well done Katie. Another tough assignment.

Watched on Sky!

Jez, 10 rounds of the commentator telling us all how great Katie is.

Little or nothing about the actual fight going on or her opponent Christina Linardatou.

This is no fault of Katie. But Jez, it's a dose.

Times like this you miss Jimmy Magee.

gallsman

Vicious KO from Canelo after a boring enough scrap up to that point. He's a remarkable fighter.

square_ball

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2019, 10:38:16 PM
Well done Katie. Another tough assignment.

Watched on Sky!

Jez, 10 rounds of the commentator telling us all how great Katie is.

Little or nothing about the actual fight going on or her opponent Christina Linardatou.

This is no fault of Katie. But Jez, it's a dose.

Times like this you miss Jimmy Magee.

Sky boxing commentary has been shocking for a number of years now.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: gallsman on November 03, 2019, 06:09:04 AM
Vicious KO from Canelo after a boring enough scrap up to that point. He's a remarkable fighter.

It was some KO alright, think he was behind at the time too.

Canelo now surely one of the greatest ever? Got to hand it to him.

WT4E

Don't know enough about boxing to form a decent opinion but is there anything in the narrative that Katie is being protected and getting soft decisions cause its good for the Sport?

Tuned in for last few rounds of the fight and thought she wasn't as impressive as was being talked about but then again maybe she was really good at the start.

Also saw the fight against the one previous to this and thought she was in big trouble.

But as I say was looking for an opinion with a better boxing eye than mine.

Ambrose

Quote from: WT4E on November 04, 2019, 11:52:09 AM
Don't know enough about boxing to form a decent opinion but is there anything in the narrative that Katie is being protected and getting soft decisions cause its good for the Sport?

Tuned in for last few rounds of the fight and thought she wasn't as impressive as was being talked about but then again maybe she was really good at the start.

Also saw the fight against the one previous to this and thought she was in big trouble.

I'm not an expert, but I watched the entire fight and thought she won comfortably, I would easily have scored it 7-3. Her opponent landed some good shots throughout the fight, but Katie comfortably out boxed her over the ten rounds. Taylor's eye looked bad, but it was caused by a clash of heads, other than that she was never in trouble. Her speed of thought and movement ensured a comfortable win.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

screenexile

Quote from: Ambrose on November 04, 2019, 12:01:52 PM
Quote from: WT4E on November 04, 2019, 11:52:09 AM

I'm not an expert, but I watched the entire fight and thought she won comfortably, I would easily have scored it 7-3. Her opponent landed some good shots throughout the fight, but Katie comfortably out boxed her over the ten rounds. Taylor's eye looked bad, but it was caused by a clash of heads, other than that she was never in trouble. Her speed of thought and movement ensured a comfortable win.

Nah Katie was doing her work then getting out of the way while the greek doll could hardly land a punch I didn't think there was much in it although it looked like Katie was scared to get into a brawl this was probably her most powerful opponent to date had she connected with a few Taylor could have been gone.

lurganblue

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 04, 2019, 09:58:11 AM

An amazing rise through the weights. Surely he has to go back down a little though because the reach did look a bit of an issue in the highlights that I watched.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: lurganblue on November 04, 2019, 03:48:14 PM

An amazing rise through the weights. Surely he has to go back down a little though because the reach did look a bit of an issue in the highlights that I watched.

He's probably running out of opposition which is a credit to him (despite not winning the first GGG fight - He would probably put him away now in a trilogy).

Callum Smith or Andrade won't exactly sell.

Got to give it to Floyd, he knew exactly what he was doing when he put him on his record back then.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 04, 2019, 04:04:54 PM

He's probably running out of opposition which is a credit to him (despite not winning the first GGG fight - He would probably put him away now in a trilogy).

Got to give it to Floyd, he knew exactly what he was doing when he put him on his record back then.
Could Floyd be tempted out of retirement for a Canelo rematch? Stranger things have happened. Would be a cracker

square_ball

Would Canelo/Smith not be a fairly big fight in the UK? Granted smith wouldn't be the biggest name worldwide though.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 04, 2019, 04:25:24 PM

Could Floyd be tempted out of retirement for a Canelo rematch? Stranger things have happened. Would be a cracker

Absolutely no chance. He beat a young and relatively raw Canelo back then. Would represent a massive risk to his record....but it would probably break every box office record in Boxing, if Floyd has been careless with his money, who knows.