Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

thanks for response,

given the absolute paucity of scoring forwards I'd have though Reape and irwin would get a good run of games to either eliminate them or make them, but maybe the brains trust can do that without playing them

rosnarun

Quote from: Orchard park on February 13, 2018, 09:46:24 AM
thanks for response,

given the absolute paucity of scoring forwards I'd have though Reape and irwin would get a good run of games to either eliminate them or make them, but maybe the brains trust can do that without playing them
only a matter of time before Reape makes it . hes got all that's required just add the high level of fitness inter county needs and I expect well see him before the end of the league.
Irwin would have much further to go in terms of fitness.
Ruane is still on the panel too but need to buld up a lot if he wants a midfield slot but a very good footballer
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Maroon Manc

There's a bit of chatter about Galway been way ahead of other teams in terms of fitness, we won't know how true that is until late on in the year. I'd be very surprised if Galway would make the same mistakes Roscommon did 2 years ago, Kevin Walsh is in his 4th year in charge and never put too much emphasis on the league in previous campaigns. There was nothing in the Donegal game that suggested that Galway were well ahead of their opponents in terms of fitness either.

I do think Galway have improved their tackling technique which is probably down to Paddy Tally but until the summer comes we won't know to what extent.

Both sides were culpable of poor wides, Shane Walsh in particular who in general played well was poor in front of the posts; In fairness he looks a better player than last year, he looks bigger without affecting his pace and looks to be working harder and putting far more effort into stopping and dispossessing an opponent.

Kickouts though a huge problem, haven't seen the stats yet but there's a period towards the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd where Galway lost 4 or 5 in a row of their own, their were times when a Galway player had found space between the full back line and half back line but Lavelle didn't want to risk it. It needs a lot of work between now and May otherwise Galway will be on the wrong end of a hiding come the championship.

P Sweeney is out of his depth at this level, don't like been over critical of him as its the manager fault for continue to pick him. It was a great finish from McHugh but his lack of pace and strength will stop him from starting games this summer. I certainly wouldn't write him off though but looks like he's just not there yet in terms of S & C. I can see why Sean Kelly continues to be picked, he has great energy and covers a lot of ground but he just isn't strong enough to warrant a start come championship.

magpie seanie

After reading the last few pages I think Mayo should just stop playing gaelic football. It seems their players have been targeted repeatedly and systematically for unwarranted and vicious assaults with referees and GAA officialdom tacitly complicit. Very unfair that lads like Cillian and DOC who just want to play ball and show their skills are treated in this way. Someone needs to think of the children.

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 13, 2018, 11:15:51 AM

Both sides were culpable of poor wides, Shane Walsh in particular who in general played well was poor in front of the posts; In fairness he looks a better player than last year, he looks bigger without affecting his pace and looks to be working harder and putting far more effort into stopping and dispossessing an opponent.

Kickouts though a huge problem, haven't seen the stats yet but there's a period towards the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd where Galway lost 4 or 5 in a row of their own, their were times when a Galway player had found space between the full back line and half back line but Lavelle didn't want to risk it. It needs a lot of work between now and May otherwise Galway will be on the wrong end of a hiding come the championship.

P Sweeney is out of his depth at this level, don't like been over critical of him as its the manager fault for continue to pick him. It was a great finish from McHugh but his lack of pace and strength will stop him from starting games this summer. I certainly wouldn't write him off though but looks like he's just not there yet in terms of S & C. I can see why Sean Kelly continues to be picked, he has great energy and covers a lot of ground but he just isn't strong enough to warrant a start come championship.

If Shane Walsh would work on his finishing, it would really take the work out of putting teams away.
Midfield is a continuing problem as Conroy is no longer an inter-county midfielder (if ever); unable to shape or dominate the position, he should be picked at 10 or 12 instead and help out the sector. Cooke is game but still light at this level and his distribution still suspect. Less said about Flynn the better. Would like to see Cein D'Arcy get a run, a better prospect in the longer term than Cooke I have a feeling. Are Enda Tierney or Michael Day still on the panel?
Ml Daly, if and when fit, will come in for Sean Kelly; Cummins / Ian Burke / even Eoin Finnerty for P Sweeney. Cunningham (if good enough) and Army off the bench.
HB line will also be a problem. Bradshaw and Heaney are adequate, but not defensive-minded enough. Only the current tactical defensive set-up is stopping C Sweeney from getting exposed. Liam Silke will should probably come in corner back and push out Kyne. GOD simply not good enough. Johnny Duane probably worth a run, maybe Kieran Molloy.
For KW, there's no point continually building for next year. One more fiasco like Tipp / Roscommon / Kerry and he should be out. Might as well have a right go this year and see where he gets.

Jinxy

Mayo's track record of producing natural forwards over the last 20 years would suggest that waiting around for some young lad to come up through the ranks is optimistic at best.
I'm blue in the face saying ye need to CONVERT some of your pacy half backs (which you have an abundant supply of) into inside forwards.
At least give it a try.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Manning18

There's a bit of chatter about Galway been way ahead of other teams in terms of fitness, we won't know how true that is until late on in the year. I'd be very surprised if Galway would make the same mistakes Roscommon did 2 years ago, Kevin Walsh is in his 4th year in charge and never put too much emphasis on the league in previous campaigns. There was nothing in the Donegal game that suggested that Galway were well ahead of their opponents in terms of fitness either.

It's complete nonsense. Underdogs win a match + Walsh & Brannigan continuing to be very fast = Galway are at peak fitness. That seems to be the gist of the logic

I don't doubt that they are ahead of Mayo in terms of readiness, having seen Mayo's holiday schedule. But otherwise it's very lazy analysis that everyone assumes they're like Roscommon of two years in targeting the league. If anything, they faded quite badly out of the Tyrone game with an extra man in the second half, and a strong wind. The Donegal game was just tit for tat between two very closely matched sides, with no obvious fitness edge. Walsh hardly has history of targeting the league either as a player or manager.

There's between 4-6 starters to come into the championship side, and they're the only team having to deal with missing club All Ireland players. If they had got Dublin first up, and been pipped in the Donegal game, the narrative would be that they're struggling to bridge the D1 gap and missing the Corofin contingent. Now because they've won a few games while underdogs, they've been flat out running since the end of October apparently

mouview

Quote from: Jinxy on February 13, 2018, 12:31:03 PM
Mayo's track record of producing natural forwards over the last 20 years would suggest that waiting around for some young lad to come up through the ranks is optimistic at best.
I'm blue in the face saying ye need to CONVERT some of your pacy half backs (which you have an abundant supply of) into inside forwards.
At least give it a try.

Agree with that. Mayo arguably lost to Dublin in 2013(?) through moving back Keith Higgins when one of the defenders were injured. Lee Keegan is good enough to play anywhere and Mayo aren't stuck for defenders.

GalwayBayBoy

Those stats that someome was looking for.

Galway kickouts won 10/18 - 56%   Mayo 8/18 - 44%

Mayo kickouts won 17/20 - 85%   Galway 3/20 - 15%

Overall

Galway 13/38 - 34%   Mayo 25/38 - 66%

Basically Mayo won nearly all their kickouts apart from 3 and won not far off half of Galway's on top. I know this is partly because of Galway's system but going forward conceding so much primary possession will not be sustainable.

Blowitupref

On the comparison with Roscommon in 2016 if i recall right they lost the FBD final coming into Div 1 and also lost their opening Div one game against Monaghan.

2016 when Galway last won Connacht they only won two games in Div 2. This year in Div one they have already won 3 games. Now that either means Div 2 games were tougher to win than this year in Div 1 or Galway have put more of focus and training into the league this year. I think the latter looks to be the case...
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on February 13, 2018, 11:51:13 AM

If Shane Walsh would work on his finishing, it would really take the work out of putting teams away.

With Shane I think it's more decision making than anything. Sometimes he doesn't release the pass at the right time and sometimes he tries shots that are just marginally outside his range. He drops way too many shots short into the keepers arms. I really think that is what is holding him back from being an absolutely top level player because on the ball he's incredible to watch. He can solo at pace with the ball faster than most defenders can run without a ball and he can kick off either foot equally well so defenders can't even force him onto his weaker side if they do catch up with him. Picking the right moments to pass and shoot is his big challenge.

macdanger2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2018, 01:03:09 PM
Those stats that someome was looking for.

Galway kickouts won 10/18 - 56%   Mayo 8/18 - 44%

Mayo kickouts won 17/20 - 85%   Galway 3/20 - 15%

Overall

Galway 13/38 - 34%   Mayo 25/38 - 66%

Basically Mayo won nearly all their kickouts apart from 3 and won not far off half of Galway's on top. I know this is partly because of Galway's system but going forward conceding so much primary possession will not be sustainable.

Galway more or less conceded the mayo kickouts for the last 20-25 minutes of the second half so that probably skews those figures somewhat. It's not often you'll see a team winning so easily with those sort of kickout stats though.

Watched the game back and Walsh was very poor for someone with a big enough reputation. Comer was top notch although it was a bit of a waste playing him so deep for the first half of the second half imo

Orchard park

shane walsh to me is hugely over hyped on what he has delivered at senior intercounty to date

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Orchard park on February 13, 2018, 02:36:17 PM
shane walsh to me is hugely over hyped on what he has delivered at senior intercounty to date

I think he's so hyped because his talent is so apparent to everyone. Solos and kicks the ball with both feet. So comfortable on the ball. Beautifully balanced runner that glides along the top of the grass. He's not even a bad fetcher of a high ball at times. Aesthetically he might be the most pleasing to the eye footballer to watch in the country but you can have all the skill in the world but unelss it's married to good decision making on the field you won't reach your potential.

I love watching him play but it can be frustrating. I think he could be something else if you transplanted him into the Dublin team and someone like Jim Gavin could get into his head.

Orchard park

has he remotely delivered at intercounty on this " so apparent talent"