Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chéad rogha

Lucky break to get the extra weeks prep. Tough on the ulster losers to have to go out on the following sat against kildare\meath. Alot will depend on the nature of the defeat as to whether the loser can recover. Id be thinking more along the lines of longford if its one of the northern teams.

Blowitupref

Quote from: muppet on July 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM
Quote from: Doohicky on July 10, 2011, 06:59:18 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 10, 2011, 06:54:37 PM
Connacht final loser won't have a 6 day turn around now v Wicklow,Armagh or Tyrone. likely to be played in Cavan.
Yeah. Would say clones would suit all possible matchups best.

If it is Wicklow it will hardly be played in Cavan or Clones.

If it is Mayo/Ros v Tyrone it will hardly be Cavan either. More likely Longford or Sligo.

Of course in the past these games have often become part of a Croker double header.

No disrespect to Wicklow they won't beat both Armagh,Tyrone & Sligo,Longford venues wouldn't be big enough to stage a round 4 tie. i agree with Ross4life Breffni park or maybe Clones.

The extra week will be a help for the Connacht loser & If Tyrone beat Armagh/Wicklow like i expect them to do so i feel Mayo would better suited to play them.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mannix

Any news on free taking  responsibilities for the green and red? 

Tubberman

Quote from: mannix on July 10, 2011, 08:29:52 PM

Tell the rossies nathin'! ;-)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

If Tyrone beat Armagh/Wicklow like i expect them to do so i feel Mayo would better suited to play them.
Would agree but we need to set up a pre-arranged agreement with our neighbours  before the final.

Give us the Connacht title & in return we'll give Hyde park as a neutral venue v Tyrone,Armagh or Wicklow.  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Barney

QuoteSligo,Longford venues wouldn't be big enough to stage a round 4 tie.

Just how many are you expecting? certainly if Mayo lose next week we won't be troubling the Traffic Corps with the volumes that will travel to a Round 4 game. Sadly Mayo just don't do the back door - an immature and stupid attitude given that only 4 teams don't have to go that route and we are one of only 8 teams in the country not to have lost in the championship so far.

Anyhow it is going to be an interesting team selection from a Mayo view point. 1 - 7 will stay the same. What will James' be thinking on the midfield front though - go conservative and leave Ronan on the bench given the performance of the last day? Possible bring him in for Cillian O'Connor and shuffle the forwards? That is the only change I can see being made.

Expect that this one will be nip and tuck. However the Rossie inside forward line could cause havoc if we do not stop them kicking ball in - how we manage doing this will probably be the winning and losing of the game.

seafoid

I believe it has been outsourced to a call centre in Hyderabad.

mannix

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2011, 09:39:53 PM

Hope they can drive the ball the distance.  If mayo do win who do they play next?

Blowitupref

Quote from: mannix on July 10, 2011, 09:53:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2011, 09:39:53 PM

Hope they can drive the ball the distance.  If mayo do win who do they play next?
Another draw next week for that. in reply to Barney, sure for a round 4 tie Tyrone on their own would fill Markievicz,Pearse parks.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Barney on July 10, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Just how many are you expecting? certainly if Mayo lose next week we won't be troubling the Traffic Corps with the volumes that will travel to a Round 4 game. Sadly Mayo just don't do the back door - an immature and stupid attitude given that only 4 teams don't have to go that route and we are one of only 8 teams in the country not to have lost in the championship so far.

Anyhow it is going to be an interesting team selection from a Mayo view point. 1 - 7 will stay the same. What will James' be thinking on the midfield front though - go conservative and leave Ronan on the bench given the performance of the last day? Possible bring him in for Cillian O'Connor and shuffle the forwards? That is the only change I can see being made.

Expect that this one will be nip and tuck. However the Rossie inside forward line could cause havoc if we do not stop them kicking ball in - how we manage doing this will probably be the winning and losing of the game.

I d agree mostly with you Barney. I ve been saying for years that our attitude when we lose in the Connacht championship has been cruel. Irresponsible even and a real let down to the loyal support. I d expect that to change and I m sure that the current management will have prepared for the long haul.
I wouldn t expect any change to the team unless there s injuries. One possibility is Caff being used to do a job. I m not too familiar with this Roscommon team but the key to curtailing Shine and Kilbride is extremely tight marking. They don t have killer pace but are great kickers of the the ball. So it s a no brainer. You re in their face and on their toe to stop them getting shots off - not planning your next foray up the field.  Our two corner backs were not tight enough last day.
I think the twins will and should play midfield again. Ronan is hardly 100% and his impact coming in could make the difference. While we have players on the bench there is a sameness about them and the players they ll be replacing. A freshning up but little imact. Ronan the only impact really unless The Mort or Harte available. We don t have a  lot of something different and that s a worry. I could get a chastening rebuke for this but I think we have the winning of midfield. I realise that Finneran is getting good mentions in reports, and he was always going to take time to develop but I dunno. I ve seen similar long men  in Mayo sent back to their clubs after a couple FBD appearances, but we ll see next Sunday. Mannion is a top player but I m not convinced he is a top midfielder. If I was the Mayo manager I would be very disappointed with the fella matching up if Mannion was running the show.
I would go with the forwards as they were. I d persist with O Connor because he is already better than the other contenders and is going to be a lot better in the future. There could be a temptation to throw in Aidan in ff and see but I would expect that will be plan B and whether and when it is used depending on how plan A is progressing. If we do struggle in midfield and have to chase the game you could have Ronan in sooner than later and the younger twin sent in as target with one of the corner men sacrificed - even though they may be doing damn all wrong.
Of course we want to win. But it will be a pyrrhic victory if the winner draws Cork in the qf. While the loser will have a chance against Wicklow/Tyrone/Armagh.

mannix

I recall one our stars saying that mayo were no a qualifier type team. What kind of thinking was that? He would be some man to be counting on to bust his gut to take or give a pass when the game was being decided.

FL/MAYO

sorry, misread your post, I was up most of the night looking after the local degenerates ....and not a Rossie in sight ;)
[/quote]

I thought Tyrone's Own was further west.
[/quote

No sign of him either, the local degenerates wouldn't be a patch on T.O ;)

clubmayo

Apologies for butting in on the pre-match chat. Any Mayos and Rossies in Dublin might be interested in an event Club Mayo (www.clubmayo.ie) are running with our Roscommon friends on Wednesday night.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on July 10, 2011, 11:26:38 PM
Quote from: Barney on July 10, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

I d agree mostly with you Barney. I ve been saying for years that our attitude when we lose in the Connacht championship has been cruel. Irresponsible even and a real let down to the loyal support. I d expect that to change and I m sure that the current management will have prepared for the long haul.
I wouldn t expect any change to the team unless there s injuries. One possibility is Caff being used to do a job. I m not too familiar with this Roscommon team but the key to curtailing Shine and Kilbride is extremely tight marking. They don t have killer pace but are great kickers of the the ball. So it s a no brainer. You re in their face and on their toe to stop them getting shots off - not planning your next foray up the field.  Our two corner backs were not tight enough last day.
I think the twins will and should play midfield again. Ronan is hardly 100% and his impact coming in could make the difference. While we have players on the bench there is a sameness about them and the players they ll be replacing. A freshning up but little imact. Ronan the only impact really unless The Mort or Harte available. We don t have a  lot of something different and that s a worry. I could get a chastening rebuke for this but I think we have the winning of midfield. I realise that Finneran is getting good mentions in reports, and he was always going to take time to develop but I dunno. I ve seen similar long men  in Mayo sent back to their clubs after a couple FBD appearances, but we ll see next Sunday. Mannion is a top player but I m not convinced he is a top midfielder. If I was the Mayo manager I would be very disappointed with the fella matching up if Mannion was running the show.
I would go with the forwards as they were. I d persist with O Connor because he is already better than the other contenders and is going to be a lot better in the future. There could be a temptation to throw in Aidan in ff and see but I would expect that will be plan B and whether and when it is used depending on how plan A is progressing. If we do struggle in midfield and have to chase the game you could have Ronan in sooner than later and the younger twin sent in as target with one of the corner men sacrificed - even though they may be doing damn all wrong.
Of course we want to win. But it will be a pyrrhic victory if the winner draws Cork in the qf. While the loser will have a chance against Wicklow/Tyrone/Armagh.

Spot on in every regard Moysider.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on July 10, 2011, 11:26:38 PM

Relieved to see you are back in action, moysider. I missed your input in recent times.
As usual, I think your analysis is spot on here.
I think the memory of our performance during the JOM era is best consigned to history. In the championship or the qualifiers there was precious little to enthuse about. Sweet damn all as a matter of fact.
I don't think Johnno was the sole culprit here but he was the gaffer and players took their cues from him. It struck me many times that all concerned were just going through the motions and were waiting for the full time whistle so they could get the hell out of the grounds.
That's why I was delighted by the Mayo display against Galway. Okay, it was pretty but it was effective. It's been years since I saw an entire team prepared to biff, bang and bullock their way through an entire game. I saw no evidence of players being unwilling to show for a pass or, when in possession letting it off to the nearest green and red jersey, regardless of the consequences.
James seems to have won the confidence of his players and they responded with a gutsy display. I think we have turned this particular corner at last.
Right now, I don't fear Roscommon but I do respect them. I don't see them giving up the fight at any stage but I can't see Mayo doing it either. Game on!
The bloody ticket prices are disgraceful but I reckon it will be money well spent.
Apart from the players' appetite for the game, I wouldn't read too much into the result in McHale Park. Conditions were lousy all through and I expect the ground will be firmer and the pace of the game much faster in the final.
I also though the corner backs were loose last day. 'Twas lucky for us that Pee Joyce didn't have a colleague or two that were capable of linking up with him and that he ran out of steam in the second half. I went along to Navan on Saturday just to see him in action, probably for the last time in a Galway jersey.
Thank God there is no Peerless Pee amongst the Roscommon forwards but whoever shows up will need tight marking.  Our entire full back line could experience problems on Sunday. Keith Higgins will need to watch his step and also his fists as the ref may be keeping a close eye on him.
Both of the O'Sheas had great games against Galway but on a hotter day and on a firmer pitch, I doubt if either could last the pace for the entire match. The going suited both in McHale Park but this may not be the case in the Hyde. I expect both will man centrefield the next day but I imagine Ronan will be brought in again.
On of the most positive aspects of James Horan's leadership is that he is not slow to make changes when he sees problems arising. Then, I suppose, the same can be said of Fergie. Sideline tactics may well have a decisive bearing on the outcome. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi