Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Mayo will win the all-Ireland before Ros do.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2011, 05:04:37 PM
I can see a lot of neutrals not turning on the tv until the Dublin Kildare game starts to be honest.

We're 'the poor relation' (I'm talking about Rossies/Heronchokers/Mayos/Sligonians/Laythrums here) as Keith Barr has us down in his column in the Indo today and I fully agree with him.

I just cannot see how too many people will watch this game especially given the last few years Connacht hasn't even produced a semi-finalist. Perhaps that's why we're too afraid to shout and be superior ross4life. The fact of the matter is, whatever about Roscommon, Galway and Mayo especially most certainly are not

???
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on June 24, 2011, 05:09:27 PM
I can see a lot of neutrals not turning on the tv until the Dublin Kildare game starts to be honest.

We're 'the poor relation' (I'm talking about Rossies/Heronchokers/Mayos/Sligonians/Laythrums here) as Keith Barr has us down in his column in the Indo today and I fully agree with him.

I just cannot see how too many people will watch this game especially given the last few years Connacht hasn't even produced a semi-finalist. Perhaps that's why we're too afraid to shout and be superior ross4life. The fact of the matter is, whatever about Roscommon, Galway and Mayo especially most certainly are not

???

Whoops, mistaked you and ross matt.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

I couldn't give a continental f*** whether neutrals watch or not, to be quite honest. And I don't think Keith Barr is Yoda either. If Mayo win 0-1 to no score I'll take it. If neutrals want to look down their snouts, that's fine by me. If that's the most I'll suffer I'll get over it.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 24, 2011, 07:18:21 PM

I couldn't give a continental f*** whether neutrals watch or not, to be quite honest. And I don't think Keith Barr is Yoda either. If Mayo win 0-1 to no score I'll take it. If neutrals want to look down their snouts, that's fine by me. If that's the most I'll suffer I'll get over it.

Neither do I bu t in general people would probably be looking forward to a game such as this one. I can't see much appeal outside of the two counties given the appeal for the game INSIDE the two counties is all I'm saying. I don't particularly agree with Keith Barr either, but he is right about the Connacht being poor relations thing. Maybe it will change this year who knows.

An Gaeilgoir

Whats the story with tickets for Sunday, plenty for sale at the gate or is it through the clubs.

ross matt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2011, 05:20:58 PM
Quote from: ross4life on June 24, 2011, 05:09:27 PM

???

Whoops, mistaked you and ross matt.

Oh yeah. More racism. Ye people look all the same and all that :D!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 24, 2011, 08:40:35 PM
Whats the story with tickets for Sunday, plenty for sale at the gate or is it through the clubs.

At the gate, through clubs, and Supervalu stores are even selling them I believe.

PS ross matt, ye do look the same without the capital 'R'. Rossfan is easy to distinguish in that sense! :D

ross matt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2011, 09:39:02 PM

At the gate, through clubs, and Supervalu stores are even selling them I believe.

PS ross matt, ye do look the same without the capital 'R'. Rossfan is easy to distinguish in that sense! :D

:D

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2011, 09:39:02 PM

Yeah it is easy to distinguish, I always have personalized Picture or occasionally a gif rossmatt does not. Magpie seanie also mixed me up with Rossfan i would suggest ye both go to specsavers.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Blowitupref

Crowd of 20,000 expected for this game. How many was at the last Mayo v Galway championship game?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2011, 08:31:45 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 24, 2011, 07:18:21 PM

Neither do I bu t in general people would probably be looking forward to a game such as this one. I can't see much appeal outside of the two counties given the appeal for the game INSIDE the two counties is all I'm saying. I don't particularly agree with Keith Barr either, but he is right about the Connacht being poor relations thing. Maybe it will change this year who knows.

It wont change Deelin. Always been the same. The only way to break the mould it is what Galway did in 98 and 01. They ghosted in without fuss and did the business - but they have been quickly relegated to the bargain bin, because football did not start until 2002.
Iolar is 100% in my opinion, but it is amazing the amount of people ( club men, coaches and club managers) that are making an afternoon of it  in front of the telly. The only games that matter to me start in Castlebar at 12.00 on Sunday. I might get a chance to see other stuff later. What other matches are on the weekend?

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 25, 2011, 12:34:03 AM
Crowd of 20,000 expected for this game. How many was at the last Mayo v Galway championship game?

Can t see that happening unless Galways suspect something? Lucky to get more than 12. Who s expecting 20,000? Sounds like a last gasp attempt to generate interest in the game out of desperation. Apart from a hard core this match is a match that dare not speak it s name. I dunno about Galway but around here people either dont know its happening or move on when it is mentioned. As this thread kinda shows, there are more people interested in this game in Roscommon, I would suspect, than in either of the competing counties.

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2011, 01:12:39 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 25, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Can t see that happening unless Galways suspect something? Lucky to get more than 12. Who s expecting 20,000? Sounds like a last gasp attempt to generate interest in the game out of desperation. Apart from a hard core this match is a match that dare not speak it s name. I dunno about Galway but around here people either dont know its happening or move on when it is mentioned. As this thread kinda shows, there are more people interested in this game in Roscommon, I would suspect, than in either of the competing counties.

Got it off here http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13050:crowd-of-20000-expected-for-mayo-game&catid=14&Itemid=100008

i think you could be right, last gasp attempt to generate interest in the game out of desperation.

Did you hear/read the quote from David Brady on Newstalk "They've probably slept together but they've never played together (in midfield), the two O'Shea  :D
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Barney

There was only 25,000 in Pearse Stadium two years ago and that really is the average crowd for a Mayo/Galway Connacht Final. In good times it did hit near the 30,000 mark, but then it was down around the 20,000 mark. Intercounty GAA is not as popular a day out as it was. The likes of Kildare/Meath drew crowds of 40,000/50,000 on their own ten years ago. Tyrone/Armagh brought great crowds to Croke Park. It is not as simple as the back door - factors such as quality of the games, poor refereeing, lifestyle change - prefer to watch in the pub/don't want the hassle of being stuck in traffic, need for modernising of the occasion are driving people away in my opinion.

As for Mayo and Galway - the Mayo support has been dwindling away quite rapidly in the last few years. Every year I can add a few of my friends to the lists of those that always travelled but now have stopped because they have have felt so let down. Galway always appear to have a small hardcore support and others will join as things improve on the field. I cannot imagine they will bring a good crowd tomorrow - they didn't even travel for the under 21 Final.

Anyway it is the football that matters - tomorrow is the one year anniversary to the day since the lowest day for many Mayo Supporters in Longford. It is time for redemption to begin. I hope James Horan and the lads go out and play with passion and pride, and a never-say-die spirit that has been too often absent. This is their moment to show the type of footballers that they are.