Football Qualifiers - Round 1

Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Anybody know when the draw is on for this. As a Mayo fan I don't have the stomach for the inevitable defeat that is going to come very very quickly. Any half decent organised outfit will push us out.

For now the teams going into the hat are:

Mayo
London

Carlow
Longford
Offaly
Wicklow
Dublin/Wexford
Meath/Laois
Kildare

Tipperary
Clare

Derry
Donegal
Antrim
Fermanagh/Cavan
Armagh

Winners of the first round of games go on to meet the one of the losing provincial semi-finalists.

Winners of Round 2 play off for a chance to meet a losing provincial finalist.

anportmorforjfc

Id guess the draw will take place next sunday after all the 1st round games are completed!

Dinny Breen

Caught in two minds here, a nordie side away to put us out of our misery or a home draw against London to slowly start buildong belief and confidence again and maybe a good run... ???

Two years ago we went negative in the qualifiers and got results it wasn't pretty (Kildare V Fernanagh anyone?) have a feeling though that will be the direction we take...
#newbridgeornowhere

Farrandeelin

Whoever gets Mayo will be happy I would imagine. Not too many Mayo people I've spoken to have said that they'd wish to go on a long run. I dunno, maybe get Kildare or loser of Armagh/Monaghan today could save us a lot of hassle and expense... :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

Ah come on - we know our Mayo supporters around here. A big win over Carlow and the wagon will be back on the rails and the talk of August and September weekends in Dublin will be back in full swing.

Farrandeelin

Them Mayo followers in Meath maybe so Hardy ;), but part of me wants to lose the next day... and isn't it any wonder.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2010, 12:39:02 PM
Them Mayo followers in Meath maybe so Hardy ;), but part of me wants to lose the next day... and isn't it any wonder.

It sounds like a bipolar condition, Hardy.

Some weekend with Mayo, Kildare and Armagh all losing

PatDaly

Does anyone know for sure when the draw for the 1st round of the backdoor will take place? The 3 remaining quarter-finals (Cavan v Fermanagh, Meath v Laois and Dublin v Wexford) all take place next weekend. I predict Armagh v Derry a repeat of the preliminary round or Armagh v Kieran McGeeney's Kildare.

Hardy

Sunday 13 June
THE SUNDAY GAME LIVE EXTRA
Island of Ireland - 6.00pm

Michael Lyster presents live coverage of the GAA Championship draw for the first round of the Football and Hurling Championship qualifiers from Croke Park.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/webcastschedule.html

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Barney on June 06, 2010, 11:58:39 AM
Anybody know when the draw is on for this. As a Mayo fan I don't have the stomach for the inevitable defeat that is going to come very very quickly. Any half decent organised outfit will push us out.

Mayo
London

Carlow
Longford
Offaly
Westmeath/Wicklow
Dublin/Wexford
Meath/Laois
Kildare

Tipperary
Clare

Derry
Donegal
Antrim
Fermanagh/Cavan
Armagh/Monaghan

Ok - my money's on:
Antrim v Armagh
Derry v Donegal
Kildare v Offaly ... etc

All about money and convenience ..

Hound

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on June 06, 2010, 09:22:00 PM
Ok - my money's on:
Antrim v Armagh
Derry v Donegal
Kildare v Offaly ... etc

All about money and convenience ..
Well given 12 of the 16 teams will be from either Leinster or Ulster, there are bound to be derby games.

Of course the "genuises" will cry "fix" as usual.

Interesting the way the bookies have viewed the results from the weekend.

Updated odds for the All Ireland
Monaghan 14/1
Mayo 25/1
Sligo 40/1
Armagh 50/1
Kildare 80/1
Louth 150/1

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Barney on June 06, 2010, 11:58:39 AM

Mayo
London

Carlow
Longford
Offaly
Wicklow
Dublin/Wexford
Meath/Laois
Kildare

Tipperary
Clare

Derry
Donegal
Antrim
Fermanagh/Cavan
Armagh

Winners of the first round of games go on to meet the one of the losing provincial semi-finalists.

Winners of Round 2 play off for a chance to meet a losing provincial finalist.

As an Antrim man I'd like to AVOID

Derry, Donegal, Armagh, Mayo, Kildare, (Dubs, Meath), but fancy we could give it a lash against the rest.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

seafoid

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production
/quote]

Derry, Donegal, Armagh, Mayo, Kildare, (Dubs, Meath), but fancy we could give it a lash against the rest.

Surely Antrim could take at least Mayo and Kildare the way things are going. Some of the thoroughbreds are going to be very demoralised going into the qualifiers.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2010, 01:39:44 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production
/quote]

Surely Antrim could take at least Mayo and Kildare the way things are going. Some of the thoroughbreds are going to be very demoralised going into the qualifiers.

I suppose the "wounded animal" and all that.  I was at the Div 3 final and could see that Sligo performance coming...maybe Mayo just didn't and will be out to prove they're a better team than that the next day??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

tyronebhoy

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 07, 2010, 01:44:59 PM
I was at the Div 3 final and could see that Sligo performance coming...maybe Mayo just didn't and will be out to prove they're a better team than that the next day??

Sligo were very impressive in the Div 3 final especially in terms of their conversion rate.  I can recall very few wides from them that day and they were incredibly fast all over the field.  The way they came back after Antrim's goal by rattling off 3 or 4 quick points completely demoralised Antrim.

I thought they would run Mayo close but thought Mayo would have enough to see them off.  I think Sligo are better than they get credit for as Antrim weren't too far behind Tyrone.

Dark horses this year?

Qualifiers I reckon will be Derry v Antrim, though there are some very tasty possibilities.