Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angermanagement

Surely the player going to the states had planned it along time ago, whatever the results this weekend he was away anyway. Loyalty works both ways.

ck

Lads can I ask a genuine question.
What precisely is going on up there. Did your county board seriously fix a hurling game for night before a county football game and even if they did why the hell are your players playing in it? Is this some kind of stand by the McGourtys or are the club so badly stuck for players they have to take 3 of the county footballers?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ck on June 22, 2015, 12:55:28 AM
What precisely is going on up there. Did your county board seriously fix a hurling game for night before a county football game and even if they did why the hell are your players playing in it? Is this some kind of stand by the McGourtys or are the club so badly stuck for players they have to take 3 of the county footballers?

Look your obvious hatred of the mcgourty's is well noted.. You know feck all about what's 'going on' up here with regards to fixtures and players wanting/needing to play in vital league games which to sustain div one status.... This fixture was asked to be changed by the other team... It was agreed then the Laois fixture came up and we asked for it to be changed the county said its up to both clubs to agree, other club didn't (they need points also) as we'd be without are better players. We beat them and the lads were dropped...

The county could have done this a fixed the game for Sunday, why that simple option wasn't taken is beyond me.... But you go ahead and make up your own shite to make you happy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

imtommygunn

That is a depressing draw. Why should teams who have had to play each other so recently play again.

Is it in Brewster? Thought we were out first? Is that defaulted due to no home ground?

[Edit] They get us at home due to having beat us before. If they have a caveat then it should be that we don't play again not that we give away home advantage!!

bannside

A perfect nothing to lose shot at redemption for Antrim who didn't perform there the last day...but...crucially the players know they are better than that.

Antrim nothing to lose. All pressure on Pete Mc Grath now. This is the one he definitely wouldn't want.

imtommygunn

Yes hopefully a bit of confidence has been gained from the Laois game. It's always worse for the team that won the first time too so you're right we have nothing to lose. Just would have preferred the likes of Clare, Offaly or Longford!!

ned

Surely having McVeigh sent off last time out had an influence on the game.
Fermanagh were pulverised yesterday when they went down to 14.

ck

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2015, 07:49:26 AM

Look your obvious hatred of the mcgourty's is well noted.. You know feck all about what's 'going on' up here with regards to fixtures and players wanting/needing to play in vital league games which to sustain div one status.... This fixture was asked to be changed by the other team... It was agreed then the Laois fixture came up and we asked for it to be changed the county said its up to both clubs to agree, other club didn't (they need points also) as we'd be without are better players. We beat them and the lads were dropped...

The county could have done this a fixed the game for Sunday, why that simple option wasn't taken is beyond me.... But you go ahead and make up your own shite to make you happy

Wow what's with the attack? Thanks for the explanation. The national media were covering it and it made no sense whatsoever.
I heard the McGourty name in the mix and figured there may have been more to it - that was all. thanks anyway

brendanbelfast

I think that draw is just fine. Our players will know they under performed last time out, and Saturday only served to confirm that. In addition, Fermanagh are not a great side - thats not putting them down as some claimed after the 31st May, its just an observation. Our lads know that Fermanagh are very beatable in Brewster. McVeigh back on board, hopefully the 3 St Galls lads too, Ryan Murray and others high on confidence....it all amounts to a very winnable game for us. Looking forward to it.

getevennotcross

Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2015, 09:20:51 PM
I heard today of a bit of a quarrel with Jim Murray in St Galls club. It came across as a Chinese whisper from a 20th hand source and details were vague so I took it with a pinch of salt.

That said, if one of those 3 players vented their frustrations at somebody on our county executive then fair play I say. They have been left to carry the can for a situation that should never have arisen. Players need to be supported by the county, not left in sticky situations as what happened this weekend.
Jim Murray, St. Galls, McGourty's, all aul tittle tattle.

It's like Coronation Street for goodness sake.  Only in Antrim!  A little bit of advice everyone, do not believe all you hear, this county is in an utter mess because of rumour, personal jibes, egotists those with personal vendettas.

johnneycool

Quote from: ck on June 22, 2015, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2015, 07:49:26 AM

Wow what's with the attack? Thanks for the explanation. The national media were covering it and it made no sense whatsoever.
I heard the McGourty name in the mix and figured there may have been more to it - that was all. thanks anyway

We'd a hurling game vrs Armoy on saturday evening, three lads played in it, then played for Down in the Ulster championship the next day.
If Down CB weren't bothered enough to ask Antrim to call it off then we're going to play our strongest team whenever possible.

IIRC, to prevent teams calling games off willy nilly Antrim CB introduced the rule that both teams had to agree to the refixing of the game within 6 days of the original fixture otherwise the game had to be played when first set. St Galls were a bit unlucky that they'd facilitated the other club by moving to the friday evening, then for the Antrim qualifier to come up after that.
Hard not to have sympathy for the three lads involved.

stibhan

Simply put with all the space in the calendar it's an absolute joke that a vital game cannot be refixed for an equally crucial qualifier, even outwith the codes themselves. This will absolutely have to be looked at for the next AGM of Antrim GAA but in the meantime I think the County Board have more than enough power to postpone a game by two or three days or until it can be fulfilled.

Minder

No mention of the farce of the players wearing a mixture of new jerseys and old jerseys last weekend? Only in Antrim as they say.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on June 23, 2015, 10:51:49 PM
No mention of the farce of the players wearing a mixture of new jerseys and old jerseys last weekend? Only in Antrim as they say.

Not the first time its happened... Championship game v Fermanagh a few years ago it happened so plenty form !!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea