Has the intercounty system in football told us all it’s ever going to tell us?

Started by caprea, February 13, 2020, 05:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: caprea on February 21, 2020, 12:39:07 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 21, 2020, 12:14:30 PM
Quote from: caprea on February 21, 2020, 12:00:23 PM
So people will pay 100 euro for an all Ireland final ticket between Kerry and Dublin Junior teams?

It will be the Kerry and Dublin senior teams. With the best available talent. There's always some players who make themselves unavailable. I don't know a single person who would stop attending a game because certain players wasn't playing. If by your view all the players for all the teams decided to strike (Which would never happen), and the GAA replaced the players with the best available, the AI final between Dublin and Kerry would still sell out. I have no doubt of that. And it would still be Sam Maguire they win, and the supporters would still celebrate the win as much as any.

So fans will pay 100 euro to see Kerry and Dublin's current junior teams play for Sam maguire in a packed Croker?

I know if Tyrone were in the AI final, I would pay £100 to see them. I know most in my circles would as well. If that team was the best of what was available then absolutely. I don't believe a players strike for pay would have support in the wider GAA community. I actually think if this was to happen many within the GAA community would make a point of supporting the players who stepped up to replace them.
So my answer is yes fans would pay it.
Do you think a players strike for pay would have support in the wider community?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Taylor

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 21, 2020, 12:55:47 PM
So people will pay 100 euro for an all Ireland final ticket between Kerry and Dublin Junior teams?

It will be the Kerry and Dublin senior teams. With the best available talent. There's always some players who make themselves unavailable. I don't know a single person who would stop attending a game because certain players wasn't playing. If by your view all the players for all the teams decided to strike (Which would never happen), and the GAA replaced the players with the best available, the AI final between Dublin and Kerry would still sell out. I have no doubt of that. And it would still be Sam Maguire they win, and the supporters would still celebrate the win as much as any.

So fans will pay 100 euro to see Kerry and Dublin's current junior teams play for Sam maguire in a packed Croker?

I know if Tyrone were in the AI final, I would pay £100 to see them. I know most in my circles would as well. If that team was the best of what was available then absolutely. I don't believe a players strike for pay would have support in the wider GAA community. I actually think if this was to happen many within the GAA community would make a point of supporting the players who stepped up to replace them.
Do you think a players strike for pay would have support in the wider community?

I dont believe many from the grassroots would support a players strike for pay.

How many volunteers give monster hours each week without having their hand out?

Many former & most current players would no doubt get plenty of airtime justifying it which would sway a few but if the Tyrone players joined I would be totally against it and as someone said I would make a point of supporting those who want to play for the county even more.

caprea

Ok thanks. I don't agree. We've seen what happens when teams strike and how supporter interest is affected and how striking players always won the fight and county boards had to accede to their demands.

No I don't think striking players would have support in the community. It would divide opinion but ultimately they wouldn't have huge support for sure. Do I think it matters? Yes. Do I think it matters a lot? No I don't.

The biggest problems I see with what I propose is South Dublin doesn't have a stadium, GPO's would be laid off and replaced by pro players in their off season. That will be painful and I don't have an easy answer to it.

caprea

Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2020, 01:02:17 PM

How many volunteers give monster hours each week without having their hand out?

Soccer and boxing also has volunteers. Pro sports but still with volunteers at youth and amateur level.

People volunteer to benefit and improve their community and because it is their interest.

trueblue1234

Quote from: caprea on February 21, 2020, 01:05:37 PM

Ok thanks. I don't agree. We've seen what happens when teams strike and how supporter interest is affected and how striking players always won the fight and county boards had to accede to their demands.

No I don't think striking players would have support in the community. It would divide opinion but ultimately they wouldn't have huge support for sure. Do I think it matters? Yes. Do I think it matters a lot? No I don't.

The biggest problems I see with what I propose is South Dublin doesn't have a stadium, GPO's would be laid off and replaced by pro players in their off season. That will be painful and I don't have an easy answer to it.
Yeah this is the bit I can't accept. It would come down to a decision by the GAA to side with 800 odd players or side with the majority of the organisation. I think they know where their bread is buttered and I don't think it would be the 800 odd players. The reality is if they replace these 800 players, then new players will step up and shine. There'll be new elite players who will know what will happens if they decide to strike and therefore won't take that option. And the GAA will return to where it was. It's a misconception that the players have the power (In my eyes anyway).

caprea

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 21, 2020, 01:13:12 PM

Yeah this is the bit I can't accept. It would come down to a decision by the GAA to side with 800 odd players or side with the majority of the organisation. I think they know where their bread is buttered and I don't think it would be the 800 odd players. The reality is if they replace these 800 players, then new players will step up and shine. There'll be new elite players who will know what will happens if they decide to strike and therefore won't take that option. And the GAA will return to where it was. It's a misconception that the players have the power (In my eyes anyway).

I think you underestimate the power of elite players and the idea they can be easily replaced with inferior players and people will still pay ticket prices in anywhere the same numbers is not something I'd be onboard with.

trueblue1234

Quote from: caprea on February 21, 2020, 01:19:51 PM

I think you underestimate the power of elite players and the idea they can be easily replaced with inferior players and people will still pay ticket prices in anywhere the same numbers is not something I'd be onboard with.

Yeah we obviously don't agree on that. No way of knowing I suppose. 

Rossfan

The team of hurlers Cork Co Board fielded during their players' got a paltry following.
Mind you there were a lot of issues involved there.
If Roscommons best 30 players withdrew their services we wouldn't have to worry about All Ireland or Connacht Finals.
I wonder would any players even attempt to break their strike?
I would expect very few spectators to attend any games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Taylor

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 21, 2020, 01:26:34 PM

How much money do the GPA receive each year?

caprea

Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2020, 01:57:32 PM

6.4 million a year between 2016-2019. No deal in place for this year. Being renegotiated

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on February 21, 2020, 01:52:09 PM
The team of hurlers Cork Co Board fielded during their players' got a paltry following.
Mind you there were a lot of issues involved there.
If Roscommons best 30 players withdrew their services we wouldn't have to worry about All Ireland or Connacht Finals.
I wonder would any players even attempt to break their strike?
I would expect very few spectators to attend any games.
Did they? I though in the 07-08 strike there wasn't any games missed as it was over the winter and then they postponed one of the league (Or maybe my memory is playing up). Do you have the figures. How many games were played in 2009 without the players?
I'll be honest can't remember much of the 2002 one with regards to the games played. 

Taylor

Quote from: caprea on February 21, 2020, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2020, 01:57:32 PM

6.4 million a year between 2016-2019. No deal in place for this year. Being renegotiated

IF there was a drop in ticket sales it wouldn't make up for it then.

No idea where we go from here but if 'elite players went on strike, firstly I would be disgusted and secondly I would still support my county  regardless of who was playing.

The key to all this I feel would be the media. If they give a voice to the striking players then That would give a swell to public opinion. Take their voice away and they wouldn't be long coming back.
Imagine missing out on all those perks they currently get?

Rossfan

Trueblue I'm possibly thinking of the earlier one alright .
They played a League game and around 1200 turned up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

And in my opinion you are overestimating their power. I know for a large swathe if the GAA membership it is club first. County games are grand for a few days out in the summer but if your County is beat, great let's get on with the real football.

caprea

Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2020, 07:34:15 PM

And in my opinion you are overestimating their power. I know for a large swathe if the GAA membership it is club first. County games are grand for a few days out in the summer but if your County is beat, great let's get on with the real football.

Sure I don't follow the county game at all. Waste of time. I'm pure club. Doesn't mean the county game doesn't generate 70 million a year.