Has the intercounty system in football told us all it’s ever going to tell us?

Started by caprea, February 13, 2020, 05:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

From the Bunker

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 05:20:10 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on February 19, 2020, 03:41:11 PM
so are we talking about the american franchise system

We are talking about the elite level of GAA being professional like the way elite sport works in every country on earth. You can follow a model or build your own model to suit. There's no requirement to copy the US franchise model.

You have one big problem that is necessary to have a Professional sport in a country. Population!

caprea

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 19, 2020, 07:47:15 PM

We are talking about the elite level of GAA being professional like the way elite sport works in every country on earth. You can follow a model or build your own model to suit. There's no requirement to copy the US franchise model.

You have one big problem that is necessary to have a Professional sport in a country. Population!

The intercounty game generated 73 million in revenue last year and that's in an era where we see a team that's practically unbeatable.

How much revenue would you need to see the GAA able to have before thinking it could have a viable professional league?

AFM

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 08:03:24 PM

The intercounty game generated 73 million in revenue last year and that's in an era where we see a team that's practically unbeatable.

How much revenue would you need to see the GAA able to have before thinking it could have a viable professional league?

It's revenue would collapse if it went professional.

caprea

Quote from: AFM on February 19, 2020, 08:31:04 PM

Baseless scaremongering IMO.

Look-Up!

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 10:32:47 PM

Hardly baseless. Without a fanbase no revenue. Plus there'd be a lot of sorting out who owns what before a pro game could be established. What stadia would be used. Who owns them. County boards would be out the door in a pro era so would hardly just hand over massive capital assets. New builds wouldn't be an option. Donor money drives a lot of the economy in the GAA too (both on and off books). This would dry up. There's no guarantee there'd be any traction for this new setup.

caprea

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 19, 2020, 11:48:59 PM

Hardly baseless. Without a fanbase no revenue. Plus there'd be a lot of sorting out who owns what before a pro game could be established. What stadia would be used. Who owns them. County boards would be out the door in a pro era so would hardly just hand over massive capital assets. New builds wouldn't be an option. Donor money drives a lot of the economy in the GAA too (both on and off books). This would dry up. There's no guarantee there'd be any traction for this new setup.

Your assumptions about no fan base and no stadia are baseless.

When rugby went pro did england move from Twickenham, did ireland move from Lansdowne and so on and so on.

Did fans stop attending? No they've attended like never before since the game went pro.

BennyCake

Speaking of rugby numbers. Spoke to someone who goes to the odd game. I asked how much, and was told about £200 a ticket. f**k off I says. I thought they were taking the piss.

So I priced a ticket v Italy in March. Sure enough, cheapest £190. Sweet mother of divine Christ! What the f**k is wrong with people?? I'm gonna give him a slap next time I see him.

square_ball

Quote from: BennyCake on February 20, 2020, 12:11:42 AM
Speaking of rugby numbers. Spoke to someone who goes to the odd game. I asked how much, and was told about £200 a ticket. f**k off I says. I thought they were taking the piss.

So I priced a ticket v Italy in March. Sure enough, cheapest £190. Sweet mother of divine Christ! What the f**k is wrong with people?? I'm gonna give him a slap next time I see him.

Surely that's through one of those ticketing websites? I remember getting tickets through Dungannon rugby club a few years ago and they certainly were nowhere near that price.

Look-Up!

Quote from: caprea on February 19, 2020, 11:54:01 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 19, 2020, 11:48:59 PM

Your assumptions about no fan base and no stadia are baseless.

When rugby went pro did england move from Twickenham, did ireland move from Lansdowne and so on and so on.

Did fans stop attending? No they've attended like never before since the game went pro.
I didn't make any assumptions. I pointed out facts that a professional team needs a home stadium and a fan base neither of which obviously exist at the minute. It's a big assumption to think fans will automatically start following completely new "franchises" in large viable numbers country wide and that these franchises will handily get access to stadia currently controlled by county boards or local clubs.
I don't get your reference to Twickenham or Lansdowne or what international rugby has to do with what would be a completely indigenous professional sport unique only to Ireland.

Baile Brigín 2

I think his point that a Leitrim on expenses, a semi pro Louth or a fully pro Dublin won't see fans boycotting.

However once money is involved, contracts are involved and we have a transfer system.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2020, 11:06:19 AM
But if you have West Ulster, West Dublin, Midlands.......

At least with rugby the provinces were a thing beforehand. And two of them still wobbled financially. Does West Ulster have an identity people will ditch Donegsl for? Because one thing rugby showed was the club game was brutally murdered. Why would the county game not go the same way?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 11:01:03 AM
I think his point that a Leitrim on expenses, a semi pro Louth or a fully pro Dublin won't see fans boycotting.

However once money is involved, contracts are involved and we have a transfer system.
But he's talking about moving away from the inter county system and having 10-12 new franchises as the new pro competition.
People quite rightly are having a little difficulty trying to grasp where the revenue would come from to make this work.
If Gaelic games were hugely popular sports in UK, France, Italy. If UK could supply approx 20 pro teams, France approx 15, Italy another 2, then comparisons to rugby would be valid and there would be a huge market to get your revenue stream from. But this is not the case.