e-mail from our wee country..

Started by The Watcher Pat, November 27, 2008, 12:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Watcher Pat

Got this  e-mailed from Our Wee Country because i registered to have a wee look....

Doug Beattie is an Ulsterman born in 1965. For the first ten years of his life he moved around continuously as his father went from posting to posting with the British army.

When the family finally returned to Northern Ireland they settled in Portadown. As with most other children of his generation he had his fair share of exposure to 'The Troubles', not least when one of his uncles was shot dead walking home, apparently killed as part of a loyalist feud. But thanks to the determination of his parents he managed to avoid being sucked into the spiral of violence. At the age of 16 he followed in the family tradition and joined the British army.

For the next twenty odd years of his life he spent almost half of that period away from home either on operation or training. He served in such places as South Armagh, Berlin, Cyprus, Bosnia and Iraq, and all the time he progressed up through the ranks. During the second Gulf War Doug Beattie was the regimental sergeant major of the 1st Battalion the Royal Irish Regiment, commanded by Colonel Tim Collins. Doug knew the colonel extremely well and was at his side when he made his famous eve of battle speech. Following the invasion of Iraq Doug was awarded the Queen's Commendation for Bravery for confronting a mob single-handed and stopping them from lynching supporters of Saddam Hussein.

Our Wee Country is giving you the chance to win a signed copy of Capt Doug Beattie MC new Book "An Ordinary Soldier"

All you have to do is come up with a question for Doug, he will then look the questions over, pick what he thinks is the most original or unique and answer the question himself here on the forum.

Anyone suggest any questions i could ask.
I really want this book!!  ;)
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Donagh

I wonder has he paid his fiver? I dunno that site is getting worse. You go on to keep up to day with the goings on in our local soccer team and get bombarded with propaganda from blood thirsty mercenaries.

Football For All doesn't reign supreme on OWC anyways  ::)

That thon arsewipe Sickboy is still a mod is ridiculous - seems to compensating for cowardice/inadequacies by leeching of the 'sacrifice' of others. The worst kind uber-Prod that has ever come out of this place.

An Fear Rua

It says a lot for that site when people on here lie about their actually involvment over there.
Its Grim up North

corn02

South Armagh, Berlin, Cyprus, Bosnia and Iraq.

We are in good company so.

Orior

How about any of these....

1) Do you like marzipan?

2) Do you like marzipan?

3) Do you like marzipan?

4) Do you like marzipan?

5) Do you like marzipan?

or my favourite

6) Do you like marzipan?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Evil Genius

The guy is from NI, has an interesting story to tell, and his plugging a book. Obviously NI will be a key market for him.

OWC is an NI website, 90%+ of whose members live in NI, many of them interested in matters military etc, as evidenced by the popularity of threads dealing with such topics in the Everything Else section.

Beattie has offered a signed copy to Board Members as a free competition prize.

So what? Anyone who is not interested, needn't enter.

Anyhow, if e.g. Gerry Adams offered GAABoard e.g. a signed copy of his next book "What I did in the War"*, would anyone here object? I wouldn't.

* - OK, poor example I know, since we all know Gerry never actually was in any army, but you get my point...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

I'm not bothered about what books OWC have in a competition.

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 27, 2008, 12:59:30 PM
Anyhow, if e.g. Gerry Adams offered GAABoard e.g. a signed copy of his next book "What I did in the War"*, would anyone here object? I wouldn't.

Yeah you would though.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

The guy is from NI, has an interesting story to tell, and his plugging a book. Obviously NI will be a key market for him.

OWC is an NI website, 90%+ of whose members live in NI, many of them interested in matters military etc, as evidenced by the popularity of threads dealing with such topics in the Everything Else section.

Beattie has offered a signed copy to Board Members as a free competition prize.

So what? Anyone who is not interested, needn't enter.

* - OK, poor example I know, since we all know Gerry never actually was in any army, but you get my point...

I'm one of those that is not allowed on owc  :(

Can you elaborate of the owc fascination with military matters? Do they rejoice that one of their lot has confirmed kills in another land? Do they enquire on his killing technique? Do they want to know how much hate is needed to pull the trigger and what flashes through his mind?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GalwayBayBoy

There does seem to be a bit of a military fixation on OWC. Not that it bothers me really. I just don't click on the threads.

By the way Watcher Pat you are the victim of a slapdown by that renowned GAA enthusiast Gary Spain in the Other NI sport section.

Zapatista

Are we human or are we dancer?

Does your mother know you are gay?

full back

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 27, 2008, 01:13:12 PM
By the way Watcher Pat you are the victim of a slapdown by that renowned GAA enthusiast Gary Spain in the Other NI sport section.

What happened there gbb?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: full back on November 27, 2008, 01:18:26 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 27, 2008, 01:13:12 PM

What happened there gbb?

QuoteI can't be bothered registering on the GAA board. However the following thread was brought to my attention.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=9639.15

It claims the Coagh United clubhouse has a mural to Billy Wright inside.

I was shocked at this not least because I'd been there only a few weeks previously at the Limavady game. I had my 2 young daughters with me so spent halftime at the sweetshop instead of the clubhouse. We were very warmly received there and made feel very welcome.

I've since it had it confirmed that it is total rubbish. The clubhouse walls are adorned with signed football shirts, mirrors etc.

The lie can be used to justify the GAA's continued naming of cups, grounfs and clubs after convicted terrorists. Maybe somebody with an account on the GA board would care to nail the lie.

Donagh

Is that the one were he proceeds to slap down a "Gaaboard lie", only then to reveal that he can't because he didn't actually witness (or in this did not witness) the offending picture? What a wab  :D

Norf Tyrone

Not interested to be honest, but I genuinelly believed that OWC's site was a football one, pertaining specifically to the NI football team, and not generally about Northern Ireland as a whole?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Zapatista

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 27, 2008, 01:31:53 PM

Not interested to be honest, but I genuinelly believed that OWC's site was a football one, pertaining specifically to the NI football team, and not generally about Northern Ireland as a whole?

Typo!! It's HOLE!