Netbooks

Started by amallon, April 23, 2009, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Anyone have one?  If so are they any good?  I'm looking at one with the 16Gb flash drive to use as a simple lightweight web browser and for plugging into networks to diagnose simple problems.  Would they be up to the job?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thebigfella

Quote from: amallon on April 23, 2009, 12:09:49 PM
Anyone have one?  If so are they any good?  I'm looking at one with the 16Gb flash drive to use as a simple lightweight web browser and for plugging into networks to diagnose simple problems.  Would they be up to the job?

Surely most simple network problems can be diagnosed remotely anyway? I don't get why you would require a netbook to plug into a network.

bcarrier

Aidan,

I have a samsung NC10 with 160 Gb drive and happy with it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001GZC8K8/300002446-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Using it mainly for downloaded media and  e-mail/ browsing when on the move ( handy on Ryanair baggage allowance ) .
Downloaded open office onto it and functions well. 

thewobbler

My Samsung NC10 should arrive in the post today.

I did a fair bit of research Aidan and its seems to be the closest thing you can get to a normal laptop. Can tell you more next week though.

criostlinn

The Samsung NC10 is your only man alright. Got one at christmas and delighted with it

amallon

Samsung NC10 looks like a nice bit of kit.  Will the battary last the 6 hours as claimed in the spec?

Mhic Easmuint

I've the ASUS Eee PC 1000H.  So far so good with it. Good battery life etc. 
120GB Hard Drive, 2GB Ram. 

Can buy them with Linux and Stick XP on them if you prefer Windows.

amallon

How do you get XP onto it with no CD drive?

Mhic Easmuint

I created a bootable usb pen with Windows on it. 

bcarrier

Battery on NC 10 is good...not sure about six hours though.

This matches nicely if you want to use it for downloads ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-Portable/dp/B0012IOHVM

Orior

Quote from: thewobbler on April 23, 2009, 01:08:42 PM
My Samsung NC10 should arrive in the post today.

I did a fair bit of research Aidan and its seems to be the closest thing you can get to a normal laptop. Can tell you more next week though.

If its the closest thing to a normal laptop, then what is the difference? Screen size and weight?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

David McKeown

Have an old eeepc that I loved to bits but recently changed to a macbook.  Been researching the topic recently though and nc10 seems to be winning all the plaudits at the minute though id upgrade the ram from the standard.  If you dont like ordering online the laptop shop in belfast do them reasonably enough
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thewobbler

Orior, 3 things really - storage, RAM and keyboard size.

It apparently is kinda tough to get used to the keyboard size on a netbook - but those clever buckos at Samsung have made the difference negligible.

As for RAM and memory, well we're back about 4 years in comparison to heavy duty laptops. But as I've been cracking away on the same laptop for 5 years now, I'll notice the difference!