Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Gaslighting? ??
Most of the information in the daily papers so I presume you're a 6 Cos resident?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on November 16, 2018, 12:43:38 PM
Inter County players opposed to handpass restriction, kicking sidelines forward and the kick out proposals.
I suppose it's a bit much to expect the top players in a football code to be kicking the ball or to kick it forward or for 25metres ::)

Decades of throwball has them ruined

Or maybe they realise or are weary like myself that the negatives of these rules and how they encourage the blanket defence to a greater extent will far outweigh the positives especially when you give these rules real thought instead of just deciding based on headlines

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on November 16, 2018, 01:32:20 PM
Gaslighting? ??
Most of the information in the daily papers so I presume you're a 6 Cos resident?

You and other clambering for rule changes need to let it go. You lot sound like Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees-Mogg constantly talking about EU.

Rossfan

Taylor

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 16, 2018, 12:34:03 PM
Quote from: Taylor on November 15, 2018, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2018, 03:17:57 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 15, 2018, 12:32:31 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 06:19:12 PM
If you had tiers, tier 1 would get the vast majority of the coverage. Token coverage of semis and finals of tier 2 and 3.

We'd be saturated with matches and more matches of Dublin v Tyrone, Kerry v Dublin, Dublin v Mayo, Mayo v Kerry. And to be honest, even fans from those counties would get sick of the sight of it all.

The coverage argument is one I don't get at all. The Tier 1 teams already get the vast majority of the coverage. Hurling dominated the early weeks/months of the TV coverage this summer and then the Super 8 kicked in, so I would say the "Tier 2" counties got the lowest coverage ever this year. 2019 will be the same.

Coverage of the Tier 2 teams is about as low as it can go, so the introduction of an actual Tier 2 competition can't makes things worse! In fact, a new Tier 2 would give the opportunity for the next TV deal to include a minimum number of Tier 2 games that must be covered.

If the new Tier 2 is a loser's competition, it'll be a disaster again. There has to be a complete split, and the only way a Tier 2 county can get into Tier 1 is by winning Tier 2. Then it'd be worth winning, and also needs to have "All Ireland" in the title, not somebody's name.
I hear there are 2 suggestions by CCCC to Central Council -
1 - All D3 and D4 teams play in the new tier 2.
2- All D3 and D 4 team enter the Qualifiers. Those that lose in Rounds 1 and 2 go into the new competition

2 is the Tommy Murphy Cup all over again while 1 isn't much better as there's no tangible reward for winning (like a place in the main Championship or promotion to Tier 1)
As for coverage - anyone have an idea how many D3 or 4 teams were covered in say last 3 years?

1 with the winners automatically going up to Div 2 and going into Sam irrespective of where they finish

Meaning 2 or 3 relegation places from Division 2 depending on what happens Or?

Yes.
Leagues would be infinitely more competitive as well

Rossfan

Rossfan

All at Saturdays CC meeting.
I believe the favoured proposal for a "Tier 2" is for D3/4 teams who lose in Rounds 1 and 2 of the Qualifiers. In other words Tommy Murphy a dó and adding a possible 15 extra County games.
Meanwhile the CPA want tier 2 put on hold pending a total blank sheet review of the whole Calendar. Our Tommy Kenoy has a blank sheet motion for the County Convention.
Also we'll see how the proposed rule change recommendations get on.

LeoMc

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2018, 01:24:29 PM
All at Saturdays CC meeting.
I believe the favoured proposal for a "Tier 2" is for D3/4 teams who lose in Rounds 1 and 2 of the Qualifiers. In other words Tommy Murphy a dó and adding a possible 15 extra County games.
Meanwhile the CPA want tier 2 put on hold pending a total blank sheet review of the whole Calendar. Our Tommy Kenoy has a blank sheet motion for the County Convention.
Also we'll see how the proposed rule change recommendations get on.

Tier 2 cannot be a losers competition. Some Counties even struggle to go again for the back door.
For tier 2 to work it has to be the only show in town for those teams entered in it.

Rossfan

joemamas

Inter County players opposed to handpass restriction, kicking sidelines forward and the kick out proposals.
I suppose it's a bit much to expect the top players in a football code to be kicking the ball or to kick it forward or for 25metres ::)

What a horrible idea, having to kick the ball every now and again.

One impact of all this hand passing is that it has allowed some real chanchers  to be Gaelic football managers.
Think about it, keep handpassing and get 13 or 14 behind the ball, as opposed to having to train players to kick it thirty or forty yards. I know what I would like to watch and also know why I have watched less of over the past few years.

Comical how the GPA are so tone deaf, how can they be against this.

tippabu

Quote from: joemamas on November 23, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

One impact of all this hand passing is that it has allowed some real chanchers  to be Gaelic football managers.
Think about it, keep handpassing and get 13 or 14 behind the ball, as opposed to having to train players to kick it thirty or forty yards. I know what I would like to watch and also know why I have watched less of over the past few years.

Keep handpassing because teams have 13/14 behind the ball and you can't kick it 30/40 yards and this will encourage and reward 13/14 behind the ball even more....it's crazy some people don't look at the bigger picture and actually give some proper thought to the potential impact of some of these rules

Esmarelda

Quote from: tippabu on November 23, 2018, 05:32:19 PM
Quote from: joemamas on November 23, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

Keep handpassing because teams have 13/14 behind the ball and you can't kick it 30/40 yards and this will encourage and reward 13/14 behind the ball even more....it's crazy some people don't look at the bigger picture and actually give some proper thought to the potential impact of some of these rules
Thank you tippabu for bringing some sense to matters. "It's a bit much to expect top players to kicking the ball" and "What a horrible idea, having to kick the ball every now and again". Is this was passes for debate now?

Rossfan

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2018, 06:37:15 PM
So the solution is total throwball?

Honestly I don't know. Making a certain number of players stay forward in the opposition's half is a complete non runner.

Limiting handpasssing I think will encourage the blanket defence and could end up with now instead of being patient and handpasssing the ball after 3 handpasses now it will be kicked back and start again. There are countless goals where brilliant, quick hand passing are the major factor and best way to undo a packed defence.

I've said it before and I stress I'm not saying I am right but 13 a side. Trialled at sigerson, preseason before thinking about bringing it into league and championship. Positives I think there are are

1. Less players means more space, I fully believe there should be allowance for a defensive set up, carlow and fermanagh for instance I don't think would have had the success of last year without it and with 13 a side you could still implement this but there should be more room to operate and space to find for attacking players.

2. Players are fitter than they have ever been, should be no issue in this regards with less players.

3. It should help counties with a smaller/less talented pick than the bigger counties....I know in tipp and is imagine your own roscommons starting teams would be stronger starting 13 and much better quality of player to be able call off the bench.

4. It would make a huge difference to rural clubs who struggle for numbers.

Honestly I can't think of many negatives but like I said it would need to be trialled and see how games do play out and if anything springs up then.