you should take one to your face

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: maggie on January 22, 2010, 12:32:05 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2010, 09:36:15 AM
Quote from: maggie on January 22, 2010, 08:45:31 AM
Need some advice.

I got my car serviced 2 weeks ago (07 Yaris) and was told the brake pads were ok but would need replaced the next time.
Today an orange ABS light came on the dash(and stayed on)- is this something different and should i be worried about this?
I usually do 120ish miles a day so don't want it to blow up or anything on the way home  :o

Thanks in advance......................

ABS is the automatic braking system (that prevents the wheels locking when you slam on the brakes in the wet or ice, etc.), and it's possible (AFAIK) that worn pads would raise an ABS alarm (since it won't work properly if the pads are worn), though I would have expected an explicit worn brake pad warning..

I'd get the pads replaced regardless I think.

Had a bad feeling you'd say that!
Do you think they would last another week or 2 til i get paid?

Maggie, an ABS light has no direct connection with worn pads and if your pads were to be so worn then you mechanic would have undoubtedly replaced them 2 weeks ago, it's a speed sensor problem or a wiring issue that the Brake module is picking up on to put the light on...is it important, yes especially in this weather but if you don't have the funds then I wouldn't get too excited about it til you get paid, just be a little extra careful!
You're regular braking is not effected it's just you may not have the full effect of the anti lock brakes under a hard braking type skid...drive her on
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 24, 2010, 07:07:25 PM
Need some advice.

I got my car serviced 2 weeks ago (07 Yaris) and was told the brake pads were ok but would need replaced the next time.
Today an orange ABS light came on the dash(and stayed on)- is this something different and should i be worried about this?
I usually do 120ish miles a day so don't want it to blow up or anything on the way home  :o

ABS is the automatic braking system (that prevents the wheels locking when you slam on the brakes in the wet or ice, etc.), and it's possible (AFAIK) that worn pads would raise an ABS alarm (since it won't work properly if the pads are worn), though I would have expected an explicit worn brake pad warning..

Maggie, an ABS light has no direct connection with worn pads and if your pads were to be so worn then you mechanic would have undoubtedly replaced them 2 weeks ago, it's a speed sensor problem or a wiring issue that the Brake module is picking up on to put the light on...is it important, yes especially in this weather but if you don't have the funds then I wouldn't get too excited about it til you get paid, just be a little extra careful!
You're regular braking is not effected it's just you may not have the full effect of the anti lock brakes under a hard braking type skid...drive her on

IF I were you I'd bring to the garage and ask them to reset the light using diagnostics and see if it stays off. Should cost next to nothing and you may not even have a problem as lights often come on for no reason, especially after a service if garagemen were messing with your cars on board computer.

maggie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 24, 2010, 07:47:01 PM
Need some advice.

IF I were you I'd bring to the garage and ask them to reset the light using diagnostics and see if it stays off. Should cost next to nothing and you may not even have a problem as lights often come on for no reason, especially after a service if garagemen were messing with your cars on board computer.

If i said that to them, they may think i knew what i was talking about...... ;)

Treasurer

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 22, 2010, 04:36:20 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 22, 2010, 04:31:47 PM
Quote from: Treasurer on January 22, 2010, 04:01:00 PM
Winsdscreen washer stopped during during the big freeze, presumed the water was frozen, but it should be well thawed by now!  It's staying full so it's not a leak.  Any ideas?

Happened me too....got a pin and hoked the shite out of the wee holes....workin fine now....worth a try..
If there is sound and the motor is working, the next stage may be as 5 Sam suggests.
[/quote

No there's no sound. I got as far as taking the cover off the fuses but there's no handy diagram on the cover like there was on my last car, so have to find a diagram now or else try them one by one!  TG for google.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: maggie on January 25, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 24, 2010, 07:47:01 PM
Need some advice.

If i said that to them, they may think i knew what i was talking about...... ;)

Sounds good alright! All it means is that in modern garages they have a load of computer equipment that they plug into your car that can tell them quickly what is wrong with it or why a warning light is on. Problem is sometimes the bloody light goes on for no reason and normally you have to bring it to the garage to get it reset. If you do that and it comes back on again then you know you have a problem.

takeyourownpath

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 24, 2010, 05:27:53 PM
Rear washer hasn't worked for about a year now. Any simple solution?

could just be dirt, tried stickin a pin in it?

gawa316

Feck me but it never rains but it pours :'(

I've oil leaking from under the bonnet of a 2001 1.8 Freelander, anyone any idea why this would happen? Please don't let it be the head gasket!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: gawa316 on February 02, 2010, 04:26:53 PM
I've oil leaking from under the bonnet of a 2001 1.8 Freelander, anyone any idea why this would happen? Please don't let it be the head gasket!

Not necessarily (the HG) it would seem:

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/suspect-oil-leak-urgent-adice-needed-please-25290.html

And:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19034
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AN other

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 24, 2010, 05:27:53 PM
Rear washer hasn't worked for about a year now. Any simple solution?

Could be a blown fuse. I blew a fuse in the wipers during the recent cold snap.

johnneycool

just after shelling out the better part of £300 to a ford dealer to get my car connected to a computer, change a turbo inlet pipe and recalibrate an injector which is probably on its way out anyway, would make you weep.

Its £70 odd quid for the diagnostics, absolute rip off for a 5 minute job, hoors..

RMDrive

Quote from: johnneycool on March 09, 2010, 03:08:15 PM
just after shelling out the better part of £300 to a ford dealer to get my car connected to a computer, change a turbo inlet pipe and recalibrate an injector which is probably on its way out anyway, would make you weep.

Its £70 odd quid for the diagnostics, absolute rip off for a 5 minute job, hoors..

TDCI injectors  >:(

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on March 09, 2010, 03:08:15 PM

Its not just me then?! I have had serious bother with the car since before Xmas (tdci focus). Was cutting out all the time and took it to those robbing c***ts Lindsays on advice from my local mechanic as it needed a diagnostic. A 70 quid diagnostic later they told me it needed a new inlet monitoring valve at 200 odd quid. Shelled out for it and the f**king thing cut out 5 minutes after leaving their garage! They took it and rediagnosed it as needing new injectors at £1200!!!!! When I asked about the 300 paid already the response was that they were responding to the error code and therefore fixed it in good faith! Bastards.

Got my injectors reconditioned in DES in Cavan for 500 and just collected her today. Money box on wheels!