Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2010, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on January 22, 2010, 09:40:13 AM
If you were driving an 04 motor with 52000k on the clock would you bother going to the dealer to get it serviced ? Its got the full service history up to now but i reckon its not worth continuing with the dealer when i can get it serviced for half the price at a local garage.
What do you think ? Car would be worth about 3k

As long as the local garage was reputable enough I'd be inclined to get it serviced there, since it wouldn't really have much impact on the sale value were you to sell.

Thats what i was thinking. I wonder if local garages are able to reset the computer (you know where it tells you 18000 until next service etc)

Bensars

Havent seen many cars sold that dont have a full service history. (by that i mean whats advertised and said at point of sale, irrespective of records of dealership servicing )
If its not a prestige motor, is it going to have a significant bearing ( no pun intended) on overall value?
A car being sold with a full service history can include any records of work carried out.

QuoteThats what i was thinking. I wonder if local garages are able to reset the computer (you know where it tells you 18000 until next service etc)

I found out on my old car that these can be reset on some cars manually. A fella i know at a local tyre place searched google and found out how to do it. Something about pressing the trip switch for so long and something else etc.

This is after i tripped back and forward to the dealership over a few years and spent a fortune.

Google is your friend !

Mario

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2010, 09:39:06 AM
Quote from: Mario on January 22, 2010, 09:12:48 AM
I'm at the end of my teather with my car...

A fecked alternator on a Fiesta, let me guess... there's almost 80,000 miles on the clock?
I just crossed 80k last month, how did you know?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mario on January 22, 2010, 11:10:11 AM

A fecked alternator on a Fiesta, let me guess... there's almost 80,000 miles on the clock?

Have had to replace a couple of alternators on Fiestas myself Mario, and that was the threshold (for whatever reason they don't seem to get beyond that).

I'd be of a mind to persevere with that car if I were you, after what you've already laid out on it. Have the water pump and thermostat been replaced (don't mean to hex you  ;))?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mario

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2010, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: Mario on January 22, 2010, 11:10:11 AM

Have had to replace a couple of alternators on Fiestas myself Mario, and that was the threshold (for whatever reason they don't seem to get beyond that).

I'd be of a mind to persevere with that car if I were you, after what you've already laid out on it. Have the water pump and thermostat been replaced (don't mean to hex you  ;))?

No I haven't replaced the water pump or thermostat, are you expecting them to go next? A thermostat wouldn't be too expensive to replace?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mario on January 22, 2010, 11:50:03 AM
No I haven't replaced the water pump or thermostat, are you expecting them to go next? A thermostat wouldn't be too expensive to replace?

Not necessarily, the water pump may last longer on the newer Fiestas, and if the pump's OK the thermostat should be too.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

maggie

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2010, 09:36:15 AM
Quote from: maggie on January 22, 2010, 08:45:31 AM
Need some advice.

I got my car serviced 2 weeks ago (07 Yaris) and was told the brake pads were ok but would need replaced the next time.
Today an orange ABS light came on the dash(and stayed on)- is this something different and should i be worried about this?
I usually do 120ish miles a day so don't want it to blow up or anything on the way home  :o

Thanks in advance......................

ABS is the automatic braking system (that prevents the wheels locking when you slam on the brakes in the wet or ice, etc.), and it's possible (AFAIK) that worn pads would raise an ABS alarm (since it won't work properly if the pads are worn), though I would have expected an explicit worn brake pad warning..

I'd get the pads replaced regardless I think.

Had a bad feeling you'd say that!
Do you think they would last another week or 2 til i get paid?

rossie mad

Hate to be the bearer of bad news maggie but i had the same problem and left it for a few days and they started to wear into the brake discs and hubs.

id advise driving carefully and going slowly into juntions as this wont leave as much pressure on the brakes.

but try and get it fixed asap as it will only cause further more expensive damage.

5 Sams

Any mechanics on here?? If so drop me an oul PM....need some advice...ta in advance.
The Aristocrat Years

Treasurer

Winsdscreen washer stopped during during the big freeze, presumed the water was frozen, but it should be well thawed by now!  It's staying full so it's not a leak.  Any ideas?

Denn Forever

Quote from: Treasurer on January 22, 2010, 04:01:00 PM
Winsdscreen washer stopped during during the big freeze, presumed the water was frozen, but it should be well thawed by now!  It's staying full so it's not a leak.  Any ideas?

Is there any sound when you turn on the washers?  If not when the water was frozen and pump was motoring to pump the water, it may have burned out or blown the fuse.  Blown fuse is probably the reason.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Treasurer

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 22, 2010, 04:07:04 PM

Is there any sound when you turn on the washers?  If not when the water was frozen and pump was motoring to pump the water, it may have burned out or blown the fuse.  Blown fuse is probably the reason.

Thanks, will try that.

5 Sams

Happened me too....got a pin and hoked the shite out of the wee holes....workin fine now....worth a try..
The Aristocrat Years

Denn Forever

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 22, 2010, 04:31:47 PM

Happened me too....got a pin and hoked the shite out of the wee holes....workin fine now....worth a try..
If there is sound and the motor is working, the next stage may be as 5 Sam suggests.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

fitzroyalty

Rear washer hasn't worked for about a year now. Any simple solution?