Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Anyone give me a bit of advice. Have the car about a month (it isnt new). All has seemed grand but have noticed intermittently that when i stop the car and turn it off there is like a fan noise that comes from engine as if it is cooling down or something. Its quite loud even though car is completely off. Timed it the last few times and it goes on for about 3 minutes. It isnt every time i turn it off but starting to happen a bit more often over these last 2 days.
Anyone any ideas? Im panicking that its something major

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 18, 2018, 09:40:24 AM
Anyone give me a bit of advice. Have the car about a month (it isnt new). All has seemed grand but have noticed intermittently that when i stop the car and turn it off there is like a fan noise that comes from engine as if it is cooling down or something. Its quite loud even though car is completely off. Timed it the last few times and it goes on for about 3 minutes. It isnt every time i turn it off but starting to happen a bit more often over these last 2 days.

It could just be the DPF going through a regeneration process. Normal enough.

Is it a VW, Seat, Skoda or Audi?

Rois

Not a mechanic like GJL but same thing happens with my (diesel) car and my husband's as well. 

tyrone girl

Thank god that sets my mind at rest a bit. Am thinking surely if something wrong it would show up on screen.

Cheers to you both. Its a Vauxhall Astra.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 18, 2018, 09:57:03 AM
Thank god that sets my mind at rest a bit. Am thinking surely if something wrong it would show up on screen.

Cheers to you both. Its a Vauxhall Astra.

My car does it also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on April 18, 2018, 09:54:42 AM
Not a mechanic like GJL but same thing happens with my (diesel) car and my husband's as well.

It is the DPF regenerating to burn off the carbon deposits in the filter. Shouldn't allow this to happen too often without dipping your engine oil to make sure it isn't rising. The deposits form if you have short journeys or at the end of a low rev or speed journey as the car doesn't carry out a regeneration cycle before you stop the engine. Diesel is dumped into the collection vessel to burn off the soot. If this occurs too often the excess diesel finds its way to engine oil and then you have bother. If you hear the noise again you will also find a burning smell. This is the bother of having a DPF and a clean Diesel engine. All very expensive to have cleaned out or replaced. Secondhand diesels of this type will become a financial mine field.

snoopdog

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 18, 2018, 11:16:00 PM

It is the DPF regenerating to burn off the carbon deposits in the filter. Shouldn't allow this to happen too often without dipping your engine oil to make sure it isn't rising. The deposits form if you have short journeys or at the end of a low rev or speed journey as the car doesn't carry out a regeneration cycle before you stop the engine. Diesel is dumped into the collection vessel to burn off the soot. If this occurs too often the excess diesel finds its way to engine oil and then you have bother. If you hear the noise again you will also find a burning smell. This is the bother of having a DPF and a clean Diesel engine. All very expensive to have cleaned out or replaced. Secondhand diesels of this type will become a financial mine field.

Would a long drive sort this out ? Burn out all the dirt

GJL

Quote from: snoopdog on April 19, 2018, 08:03:21 AM

Yea. All modern diesel cars with a DPF benefit from a good spin out a motorway at 70mph so that the system can perform a full regeneration. You can also get an additive for the fuel that you can put in every 10000 miles or so that will help clean the whole system.

tyrone girl

Thanks everyone. It isnt happening every time but then im mostly doing short journeys. Few miles here and there. Have never had a burning smell from it, no smell at all.

Came up on the dash saying it needs serviced. Seems to have been serviced about 12000 miles ago so im going to book it in somewhere within the next few weeks.

If im only doing short journeys how often should i be doing a 70 mph run down the motorway?

snoopdog

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 19, 2018, 10:45:31 AM
Thanks everyone. It isnt happening every time but then im mostly doing short journeys. Few miles here and there. Have never had a burning smell from it, no smell at all.

Came up on the dash saying it needs serviced. Seems to have been serviced about 12000 miles ago so im going to book it in somewhere within the next few weeks.

If im only doing short journeys how often should i be doing a 70 mph run down the motorway?
I would assume every 6 weeks at the very minimum.

GJL

Quote from: snoopdog on April 19, 2018, 11:08:45 AM

I would assume every 6 weeks at the very minimum.

Yes or maybe once a month. Does not need to be Belfast and back. About 15 miles in total is enough. When your getting it serviced ask the mechanic to put in a Diesel additive that will clean the DPF system.

johnnycool

Don't buy a diesel if you're only doing short journeys.

A work colleague had wile bother with a Ford Galaxy he had bought for his annual trip to the South of France but his normal commute was only 3 or 4 miles to work and the same back. The DPF was clogging up all the time and Ford up in Mallusk more or less told him what GJL has suggested and recommended to him not to buy another diesel for the work commute.

Minder

Quote from: GJL on April 19, 2018, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on April 19, 2018, 08:03:21 AM

Yea. All modern diesel cars with a DPF benefit from a good spin out a motorway at 70mph so that the system can perform a full regeneration. You can also get an additive for the fuel that you can put in every 10000 miles or so that will help clean the whole system.

Is that what AdBlue does ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyrone girl

Im doing about 7/8 miles to work. But lots of other short journeys. 3/4 mile here and there.

Would do more at the weekends. Will start to take it down the motorway at least once a month and if keep getting it serviced every 12k or so then will ask them to put that stuff in.

Cheers

Owen Brannigan

A simple way is to drive for about 5/6 miles at high revs by going 40+ while in 4th or 5th gear.  This create enough heat to burn out the soot.

Probably the worse type of driving for a modern diesel is the 45 to 50 mph or slower trains along most A road behind slower moving lorries or even tractors where there is no real drag on a diesel and it reverts to low revs.  At times like this it is well worth changing down to bring up the revs for about 5/10 minutes to create a burn out.

Need to remember that this burn out during a regeneration cycle does create 'ash' which will eventually mean that a 5/6 year old diesel engine of the modern variety with these complex DPFs will need the ash removed even if the soot filter has been regenerated often.