Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

If you have the mirror housing intact, getting the replacement glass is the best bet.  You should only have to push the mirror on to a central docking nub.  No tools needed.  Also play the poor mouth (NCT in the offing, mechanical ineptitude) and ask would it be hard to do and they might fit it for you.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

5 Sams

Lads,
I'm looking to get rid of a yoke and don't want to get ripped off...anyone who knows what they're talking about as regards car valuations could you drop me an oul PM and I'll explain. Ta
The Aristocrat Years

Denn Forever

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 25, 2012, 12:06:20 AM
Lads,
I'm looking to get rid of a yoke and don't want to get ripped off...anyone who knows what they're talking about as regards car valuations could you drop me an oul PM and I'll explain. Ta

A bit more information please.  Why/how would you get ripped off?

Easiest way to see what cars are going for would be to get a Buy&Sell and have a look at what similar yokes are going for.
means what he says...

johnneycool

Use the likes of autotrader online and you'll get a fair idea of what you can expect.

Atticus_Finch

Anyone had alloys replaced or repaired ? Rang up a volkswagen dealer to enquire about it and was quoted a ridiculous amount to get them replaced.

Fairly major damage to a couple of them so don't think a DIY service would do the job, appreciate any advice.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

nrico2006

You probably should expect to pay $40/50 for a good job, some boys do it for less the quality diminshes.  Theres a good place in Lisburn that did my wheels before - Lester Engineering.  Be worth a shout.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

fitzroyalty

Had a minor, and by minor I mean I had to get down and squint on hands and knees to see any damage, motoring incident today.

Basically bumped into the back of a 10+ year old Megane in very slow moving traffic. The absolute minimum damage was caused to his car in the form of a tiny linear crack on his back bumper. If I'm honest I'm not even convinced that the crack was even caused by me but for now I'm working on the assumption that it was.

My front number plate is cracked but I couldn't give a shite as it's still 100% visible and probably doesn't need replaced.

What I'm concerned about is the other man wants to go through insurance. I'm now afraid he's up to something and that he's going to try and milk this somehow (he is from Belfast) , as there is fcuk all that needs done to his car IMO. I could look past it if it was a newer car or one that had a metallic bumper and not plastic spray paint one.

The damage so minute that if it happened in a car park there'd be next to no chance of anyone, including the owner, ever noticing it.

For the record this has happened to me before at traffic lights where someone went into the back of me, I got out for a quick inspection, saw no tangible damage and told the other person not to worry about it... what's this lad up to?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 21, 2012, 05:21:39 PM
Had a minor, and by minor I mean I had to get down and squint on hands and knees to see any damage, motoring incident today.

Basically bumped into the back of a 10+ year old Megane in very slow moving traffic. The absolute minimum damage was caused to his car in the form of a tiny linear crack on his back bumper. If I'm honest I'm not even convinced that the crack was even caused by me but for now I'm working on the assumption that it was.

My front number plate is cracked but I couldn't give a shite as it's still 100% visible and probably doesn't need replaced.

What I'm concerned about is the other man wants to go through insurance. I'm now afraid he's up to something and that he's going to try and milk this somehow (he is from Belfast) , as there is fcuk all that needs done to his car IMO. I could look past it if it was a newer car or one that had a metallic bumper and not plastic spray paint one.

The damage so minute that if it happened in a car park there'd be next to no chance of anyone, including the owner, ever noticing it.

For the record this has happened to me before at traffic lights where someone went into the back of me, I got out for a quick inspection, saw no tangible damage and told the other person not to worry about it... what's this lad up to?
Boys from Craigavon/Lurgan claiming moral superiority over Belfast people! What is the world coming to?!

Anyway, generally what happens is he will go to a garage who will say the chassis has crumpled due to rear impact and it will cost two grand to fix. In reality he will spend 50 quid getting someone to fill, sand and paint the crack.

EC Unique

You 'rear ended' him so the fault is 100% yours so he sees an opportunity for ££££. I would not be surprised if he comes at you with a whip lash claim as they are very easy to fake. Have you a protected no claims bonus? I have been in the same sort of situation and this is the 'claim culture at work.

Ask him to produce 3 independent estimates for the repair job. Where the police involved?

fitzroyalty

You can never be too careful these days with shafties! I'm genuinely suspicious because the damage is so minuscule I have no other choice but to suspect him of being up to something!

He either hasn't the slightest notion about these things and wants to do everything by the book, in which case he'll probably be laughed at because there's more or less nothing wrong, or he wants to try and do something more sinister.

Anyway is there any point contacting my insurer and telling them not to pay out to that fecker and that I'll get the t-cut out mysel and do it for him? Like I say damage is minimal!

Quote from: EC Unique on August 21, 2012, 05:37:34 PM
You 'rear ended' him so the fault is 100% yours so he sees an opportunity for ££££. I would not be surprised if he comes at you with a whip lash claim as they are very easy to fake. Have you a protected no claims bonus? I have been in the same sort of situation and this is the 'claim culture at work.

Ask him to produce 3 independent estimates for the repair job. Where the police involved?
I know I'm fully at fault but at the same time the traffic was at a snail's pace. I took photos of both cars so he'll probably be laughed at if he tries to go the full tilt. I

f he does try it I'll go to Traynors yard myself and get him a replacement bumper. No police involvement, I was near about to drive off after he looked at it and got back into his car...only to come back out again with a pen and paper.

I was told not to have any contact with him, so as far as I am concerned nothing is happening for now. What happened to you? The worst about it all is was that I knew by the way he was driving minutes before it that I'd go into the back of him!!

Tony Baloney

Fitz, when it comes to these cases I inevitably expect the worst and anything else is a bonus. I know a fella who rolledinto a car about walking pace and the driver successfully claimed for whiplash. If he was civil he would hit you for no worse than a new bumper from the likes of Traynors. Unfortunately everything is stacked against you.

fitzroyalty

Not liking the sound of that. I'd try and post a picture, but the damage caused is so minimal that it isn't noticeable.

I had to get him to point it out to me. He's well entitled to a new bumper but given the age and model of his car it's probably not worth the hassle for all involved which is what annoys me the most.

I know whiplash can be hard to disprove though.  :(

Denn Forever

Have you exchanged insurance details?  If you have and it goes to both insurance companies send your insurance company the photo of the damage. 
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 21, 2012, 07:11:34 PM
Not liking the sound of that. I'd try and post a picture, but the damage caused is so minimal that it isn't noticeable.

I had to get him to point it out to me. He's well entitled to a new bumper but given the age and model of his car it's probably not worth the hassle for all involved which is what annoys me the most.

I know whiplash can be hard to disprove though.  :(
Sounds like a bit of a hoor but might be okay. I rammed into the rear of a doll on the Westlink about 10 years ago and exchanged details but she never called back. I was expecting the worst too.