Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchy1

Six Inch Nail

Did Paddy Heaney run over your dog?  Or are you just pissed off he didn't take your advice about the Christmas article?  By the way, are you using a mobile phone to post on the board, if not why all the text shit?
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

culchy1

its great that some people take pleasure from other peoples grammar/spelling mistakes.
look i just started the thread not because i dont like paddy heaney more because i enjoy reading his articles.
expecting to get a bit of banter going about him and other journalists.
the amount of times people have to be reminded that it is all a bit o craic is unbelievable
its just something to pass the time at work because work is shit full stop.
if you read my first post again you will see that i only pointed out that a mistake was made in the paper
and then referred to paddys previous article about the club season!

sorry for any mispelling or grammar mistakes, sir!

Guillem2

I heard that Gerry (Jerry?) Quinn the former Down Chairman had a major go at Paddy at the Down convention. He also suggested that members of Paddy's club, Bredagh, must share his views! Apparently the Bredagh delegates were furious and demanded a right of reply. Quinn was voted out by 3 votes. Did the attack on Paddy Heaney put the final nail in his coffin?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Square Ball

Guillem2

there is a bit on this on the Down thread http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25.270 and on the following pages
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Zapatista

What do you think of his column today? Should we be thanking him for making Harte bring us to an AI semi?

Roy

Heaney tends to believe things happen because of journalism - not the other way around.  Interesting world he lives in. 

full back

Can anyone post his column
BTW, did the Tyrone players copy his ridiculous looking beard?

Zapatista

http://www.irishnews.com/appnews/597/5764/2008/8/19/595483_354600002290RedHands.html

YOu have to subscribe to read it. After he says what you see on this link he connects the chat with harte to his column and apparently that was the moment Harte envisioned what had to be done. We are all gratefull.

nrico2006

Could you not copy and paste it here?

Good man!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

peterquaife

Quote from: culchy1 on December 07, 2006, 11:44:18 AM
ok ok dont fuckin shit ursel.

aye i know anyone can make a mistake every now an then.
but i wudnt put my name agin somethin if i wasnt sure it wud be rite.
an i agree i enjoy readin paddys dont pee agin the breeze every week
he makes much better readin than that wee mchugh gabshit in the irish star

u dont have 2 be controversial 2 b a good journalist though
but paddys in the business o shiftin papers
an talkin all airy fairy bout playin midfield way the antrim manager 4 bredagh wudnt sell many papers.

and so Mr Brave, what name would you put beside your well written, accurate article...by Culchy1? Clown

the irish news is the only paper i buy regularly, enjoy the sport, esp the GAA coverage v much..keep up the good work men

PQ

Zapatista

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 19, 2008, 01:19:57 PM
Could you not copy and paste it here?

Good man!

I don't subscribe. I read a hard copy.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Roy on August 19, 2008, 08:58:46 AM
Heaney tends to believe things happen because of journalism - not the other way around.  Interesting world he lives in. 

fcuk me talk about missing the point in his articles ::)

el_cuervo_fc

Here u go lads.

Red Hands owe so much to Mickey's masterplan
Against the Breeze
By Paddy Heaney
19/08/08

The last time I was talking to Mickey Harte, he was not a very happy man. Mickey, Brian McAlinden and myself were panellists at a

discussion night that was held in St Peter's GAC, Lurgan.

Before the public debate got underway, I had a private debate with Mickey and Brian McAlinden about the virtues of this newspaper's 'Off The Fence' column.

Neither man professed a great love for our readers' forum, although both seemed to be regular readers.

Nevertheless, Mickey was irked by the previous week's edition in which he had come in for some criticism from disgruntled Tyrone fans. (Is there any other kind?)

I had compiled that particular week's column so I defended my corner, stating that Tyrone readers, even daft ones, were entitled to their opinion, and that I had included the ultimate riposte – a defence from Peter Canavan.

Mickey made his own arguments, although he wasn't unduly concerned. A strong manager with a strong character, he has long since learned not to take such criticism too seriously.

It was only during the course of the discussion chaired by Jimmy Smyth that I started to detect Mickey was not his usual unruffled self.

There seemed to be a silent rage burning within the man. He seemed quite prickly and was visibly angry during a couple of jousts with yours truly.

Even though I am highly skilled at enraging the most mild-mannered individuals, I knew I wasn't the real source of his displeasure.

It was only with the benefit of hindsight that I've been able to understand Mickey's mood that night.

During the period in question, Tyrone had been out of the Ulster Championship for nearly two weeks. Furthermore, their exit hadn't come as any huge surprise.

It merely confirmed the widely-held belief that Tyrone couldn't succeed in the absence of the retired Stephen O'Neill and the out-of-form Owen Mulligan.

Naturally, Harte always railed against this argument, but he must have started to acknowledge that Tyrone's results were backing up the pundits' case, not his.

After Tyrone lost to Down, the mood in the O'Neill county was largely apathetic. A minority of fans were calling for Harte's head. The Tyrone team was also losing its aura.

That night's debate in Lurgan provided yet further proof of Tyrone's diminished status within the game. Last year's Ulster champions weren't even discussed. The audience wasn't being dismissive. It just reflected the popular mood.

Armagh's rise under Peter McDonnell and Paul Galvin's suspension were the main topics. The question was who could stop Kerry – and no one mentioned Tyrone.

This is a dangerous environment for any team to inhabit because it's only a matter of time before that self-defeating mentality soaks into the changing room.

It was during this time that Harte must have sensed Tyrone had reached a crisis point and so began his personal mission to stop the players from believing the reports of their own demise.

Sean Cavanagh has since remarked that he heard Harte raise his voice more often during the five weeks after Tyrone lost to Down than he did during the previous five years.

When I read that comment, it all started to make sense. Harte was in the middle of his crusade during that night in Lurgan.

Fortunately, these Tyrone players still realise they are lucky to have Harte as their manager.

Their performance against Down in Newry provided irrefutable proof Harte still enjoyed the backing of his changing room. Despite losing the game, they played with incredible spirit throughout the 90-plus minutes of action.

Once a manager has the total trust of his players, anything is possible. And if some of those players are men like Brian Dooher, Enda McGinley, and Conor Gormley the chances of

success are increased even further.

However, it would be a mistake to credit individual players for Tyrone's progression to this year's All-Ireland semi-final.

Rather, Tyrone's success is unquestionably a triumph of Mickey Harte's coaching. The Red Hands are without doubt the best-drilled team in the country.

For instance, consider Armagh's performance against Wexford. The Orchard county were utterly reliant on superb individual scores from Ronan Clarke and Steven McDonnell, who were forced to shoot from crazy positions.

Now think about Tyrone's points against Dublin. No one tried any shots from the sideline. With the exception of Brian Dooher, the bulk of the scores came from within 30 yards of the goals. This is no coincidence.

Tyrone's approach play is the product of the training ground. The ball is nearly always delivered to a player in the scoring zone. Unlike many managers, Mickey Harte knows that the single most important thing in gaelic football is turning possession into scores. And, unlike even more managers, Harte devotes a great deal of time trying to indoctrinate an effective attacking gameplan into his players.

The match statistics that appear in this newspaper every Monday underline the importance of focusing on a system for converting possession into scores.

Teams have repeatedly won midfield in this year's Championship and still lost games. But the team that shows the greater shot efficiency always comes out on top.

Tyrone were wiped out at midfield by Mayo and Dublin – but still won due to their superior ability to create attacks that yielded scores.

And it's all because Mickey Harte can take 15 players and make them greater than the sum of their parts.

He may not be fully appreciated within his own county, but those of us looking from the outside can only sit back and admire his work.

Since taking over as Tyrone manager, he has suffered the loss of the late Cormac McAnallen, a player he had appointed as the new team captain.

There have been the retirements of Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill. Former automatic selections like Kevin Hughes and Owen Mulligan have struggled to recapture their best form. And we can't forget the injury jinx, and the absence of Brian McGuigan for more than two years.

From amid this catalogue of easy excuses for failure, Harte has sought only to mould a stronger and better Tyrone team.

Judging by Tyrone's 12-point hammering of Dublin at the weekend, Harte has injected that belief into his players. They will now have their sights set on the Sam Maguire Cup, as will the thousands of Tyrone supporters who shied away from Croke Park on Saturday because they feared a slaughtering from the Dubs.

This week the county of Tyrone will be awash with football fever. Interest will be renewed. The Championship is now alive with possibility and promise. The cynics who have droned on like the rain all summer will now be drowned out by the dreamers.

The talk will be of Wexford and maybe a place in the final. And once it's down to a one-off game... well, who knows?

One man is largely responsible for the metamorphosis within Tyrone. And that man is Mickey Harte.

As a manager, his success can be easily measured out in trophies. But his most recent achievement of rebuilding a new team that believes in itself, and is believed in by the people of Tyrone, ranks alongside anything else he has done during his illustrious career.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Zapatista on August 19, 2008, 08:56:04 AM
What do you think of his column today? Should we be thanking him for making Harte bring us to an AI semi?

Eh?

What are you on about?

No-where in that article does Heaney even infer he had a role to play in the reviving of this Tyrone team.
i usse an speelchekor