Championship Draw 2018

Started by Wherediditallgowrong, October 19, 2017, 11:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Anyone have opinions on the new players that Sugrue is or should be targeting for his panel?

burdizzo

Are the dates for our hurlers available yet?

OTF

Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2017, 12:34:55 PM
Yeah I agree with you there Ballyroan. There are about 5 new players from this years county championship that i think can make a good difference to our squad. Let's hope the old reliables commit, too, especially tried and trusted backs like Cahir Healy. We could really do with everyone on board. Those lads around the age of Healy, Timmons, JOL, Begley etc still have another 3-4 good years in them in my opinion. John Surgue is universally liked, from what I hear. No excuse for lads saying "ah sure he's from Town X, he'll be biased" and no excuse for lads from portlaoise either. If you want to play, you want to play, and that's it. A players career is short enough. Why not challenge yourself at the top level while you're able to do it. Best of luck to all who commit to play for Laois in 2018, we as support will be with you all the way. If you give 100%, regardless of what happens, we'll be very satisfied. We're a proud GAA county and we can all do better than the last couple of years. Laois Abu
Tony I very much doubt it is there's 5 players out there that will make a difference.
I haven't seen any club football this year and I'm waiting to see the name of one player who will force him way on to this team, as a matter of fact I'm waiting for about 5 years for news of that outstanding new player.
There's 8 from last years panel who will be 32 or older next year there's no 3 or 4 years left in those boys in fact most of them were finished 2 years ago, let's be real here unless 7 or 8 very good players emerge out of nowhere further decline is inevitable.

Tony

Yeah, i know there are a few lads that don't have 3 or 4 years left - like Padraig or Brendan or Ross.

My point is that we still have a large chunk of lads who are still in their prime or late prime. I consider 23 - 31 to be the prime years, and most of our lads are still within that age bracket, albeit most of them towards the latter stages. 3-4 years for a 28/29/30 year old is normal as most lads bow out around the 33/34 age mark. Having said that of course we could do with some fresh new talent making the transition.

clonadmad

I presume we are back training at this stage or getting very close to making a start.

We should be taking a leaf out of Davy fitz's approach to last years hurling league.

The most pressing target should be to get out of Div 4.

Everything else after that is bonus territory for year 1 of Sugrue's reign

OTF

Quote from: Tony on October 24, 2017, 12:27:30 PM
Yeah, i know there are a few lads that don't have 3 or 4 years left - like Padraig or Brendan or Ross.

My point is that we still have a large chunk of lads who are still in their prime or late prime. I consider 23 - 31 to be the prime years, and most of our lads are still within that age bracket, albeit most of them towards the latter stages. 3-4 years for a 28/29/30 year old is normal as most lads bow out around the 33/34 age mark. Having said that of course we could do with some fresh new talent making the transition.
They might play on but they are no where near the players they once were.
Who are the 5 new players ?
If it's the same panel as last year forget it, we won't beat Westmeath.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: OTF on October 24, 2017, 10:09:59 PM

Easily 5-10 players in this year's Laois Championship who have the potential to be on the Laois Team relatively quickly.
Jamie Farrell
Frank Flanagan
David Holland
Chris Finn
Ciaran McEvoy
Benny Carroll
David Seale
Cormac Murphy
Diarmuid Whelan
Sean Byrne
there are more
they may not be quite ready but a good winter of Strength and Conditioning a relatively easy Div 4 and we can build from there they do not need to be overnight sensations

Giovanni

Evan O Carroll, if fit and interested, would be like a new (and important) addition to the team.
I'm sure Sean Moore would be more than capable of cutting his teeth in Division 4?

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 24, 2017, 11:29:50 PM

Easily 5-10 players in this year's Laois Championship who have the potential to be on the Laois Team relatively quickly.
Jamie Farrell
Frank Flanagan
David Holland
Chris Finn
Ciaran McEvoy
Benny Carroll
David Seale
Cormac Murphy
Diarmuid Whelan
Sean Byrne
there are more
they may not be quite ready but a good winter of Strength and Conditioning a relatively easy Div 4 and we can build from there they do not need to be overnight sensations
FWIW, Jamie Farrell, David Seale and Cormac Murphy have already played senior intercounty. You are right however, a few solid, well conditioned, well drilled, motivated and enthusiastic youngsters could easily boost a squad a surprising amount. Not every young player needs to be a Donie. Sometimes they're as well off not being, because the backslappers around the county won't have the f**king head blown off them by the time they even turn up at senior training. A respected manager can do a lot with a hungry and willing young player.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Don Draper on October 25, 2017, 09:07:36 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 24, 2017, 11:29:50 PM

Jamie Farrell
Frank Flanagan
David Holland
Chris Finn
Ciaran McEvoy
Benny Carroll
David Seale
Cormac Murphy
Diarmuid Whelan
Sean Byrne
there are more
FWIW, Jamie Farrell, David Seale and Cormac Murphy have already played senior intercounty. You are right however, a few solid, well conditioned, well drilled, motivated and enthusiastic youngsters could easily boost a squad a surprising amount. Not every young player needs to be a Donie. Sometimes they're as well off not being, because the backslappers around the county won't have the f**king head blown off them by the time they even turn up at senior training. A respected manager can do a lot with a hungry and willing young player.
Exactly also they probably give the whole thing a massive mood of positivity,  I really think that we have been mentally destroyed by the ineptitude of 5 years of poor management.  This is going to be the hardest hurdle to overcome.

High Fielder

Backs are the problem lads. Very few about. Biggest issue for Sugrue by far

BallyroanAbu

Your right, I think he is going to have convert players into backs.   Laois attitude to defending since McNulty left is diabolical.

Tony

I think we can have a decent back line if Timmons is fit and Healy is back.

Brody
Healy / Timmons / Booth (or Keogh)
Farrell (or Lillis) / Begley / McMahon (or Strong).

I'm not saying that's a brilliant backline as those lads are getting on a bit but if all of those lads are there, I'd trust them enough. We could certainly do with some new backs on the squad but to say that we have no backs is not true.

High Fielder

With the exception of Healy, not one of those lads is sticky enough. Good players but not good backs.

Butch Cassidy

Can anyone tell me if lads are trained to tackle and defendefend? Does it happen at club level?

Bringing 13 men behind a ball for the sake of it isn't defending and it's lazy. Lads in the development squads need to be shown how to tackle, defend and track runners. It's our biggest problem.