Mistakes that cost games:

Started by oneillcup2007, November 15, 2006, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneillcup2007

Whilst not essentially a refereeing thread, this thread refers to single mistakes that cost games.  Refereiing examples include Paddy Russell all Ireland final 1995 and the recent Errigal ciaran V Enniskillen referee.  I could also include in that Joe Kernan V Mc Geeney in 2005 all Ireland semi final.  What I dont want is a series of non accurate blame games started bjust genuinely made mistakes that cost games week by week and its not intended as an abusive thread.
GAme by game if there was a mistake made.
Who made it?

hows she cutting

don't think mistake on Sunday by Mr Walsh cost Enniskillen the game

Probably more to do with their decision to have 2 half forwards mark one half back.

reddgnhand

Down keeper Pat Donnan stepping back over the line in the 1986 Ulster Final. That goal won it for Tyrone that day.

GalwayBayBoy

Derek Savage not passing to an unmarked Padraig Joyce charging through the middle of the Kerry defence in the dying moments of the drawn 2000 All-Ireland final. Instead he went for the point and dropped it into the keepers hands (if I remember correctly). There was literally dozens of people around me up screaming at him to pass the ball. Game finished level and we lost the replay. Sickener.

passedit

QuoteKerry defence in the dying moments of the drawn 2000 All-Ireland final

If I recall right Kerry got out of Jail similarly in the drawn semi when all Bumpy O Hagan (or was it Andy Mc Cann?) had to do was kick it dead, didn't and up the field they went for M Fitz to equalise. Or is my anti kerry paranoia playing tricks on me again.
Don't Panic

Farrandeelin

Sending off McHale and Coyle on that infamous day back in 96. What did McHale actually do?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Over the Bar

The entire Kerry midfield & forward line contracting vertigo in the 2nd half of the AIF 2002!   :D

the green man

John Bannon blowing a free against Henry Downey for a text book shoulder '99. Armagh scored the free won by a point, thus starting their dominance of Ulster championships. The blanket defence could have been killed forever if he hadn't give it.

GaillimhIarthair

Ah jaysus GalwayBB, I've been trying to get forget about that Savage/Joyce incident for the past 6 years.  At least they made up for it in 2001  :)

ONeill

Armagh v Galway 2001 (?) Whose pass was blocked down which ended up with Galway knocking over the winner?

Thornton v Armagh 2002. Clean through, game level. Wide. Tierney pats belly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Pangurban

Paddy Russels decision in the 1995 final was the correct one
Pat Donnan definitely carried the ball over the line in the 86 ulster final, much as it pains me to say it. I was standing in direct line with the posts, and said it was a goal even before the umpire flagged it.

Cuchullainns Bhoy

Mc Entee i think ???, John. Piss on it if im wrong but if i can think back it was worked out through Enda Mc Nulty to Andrew Mc Cann and then to Mc Entee, although in 2001 i was 13.
Theres shite, and theres the above.^^^^^

belleaqua

O stop, dont mention the Joyce/Savage incident in 2000, was in the Uncles place sunday night an he has a load of these galway matches taped. he was watchin that game again and i saw the end of it. the worst of the whole lot was that Joyce was through for a goal even, now im sure he'd have fisted over the bar but....o stop il have nightmares tonight!!

Then again we wouldnt have won in 2001 if we won that!!

Duine Eile

Remember that day well GBB, Padraic running in fron of the goal, arms out stretched waiting for the pass, not a one near him and Savo made a complete hames of it! Took a long time to forgive Savo for that one!We made up for it the following year but it would have been nice to beat Kerry in a major final, something this group of players haven't done I think?

On the club scene, Gerry Kinneavy awarding Caltra a 45 to tie up the county semi final when it wasn't a 45 at all but a wide, playing 7 minutes of injury time after announcing 3, (there weren't enough stoppages to justify 4 extra mins!) and blowing up the game just as Tommy Joyce was taking aim at the posts!  >:( It's going to take a long time to get over this one lads, excuse the rant!

belleaqua

Ah Duine Eile come off it!! Tommy Joyce's effort nearly hit me after he kicked it and il tell ya i was a long way away from the posts!! Didnt matter a bit though cos only one team was goin to win galway this year but i see your point(excuse the pun!!)

Would have been nice to beat Kerry alright, and though i said earlier that we wouldnt have won 2001 if we bet them that year iv no doubts we'd have won it in 2003, attitude caught us out that year!!