Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

I have to say there is nothing that means as much as when your club is in the County Final and the team turns to the flag for the anthem. I'd say its not required on any other occasion. But as even Jarlath alluded to it wouldn't matter to some what the GAA does.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 29, 2015, 02:06:32 PM
I have to say there is nothing that means as much as when your club is in the County Final and the team turns to the flag for the anthem. I'd say its not required on any other occasion. But as even Jarlath alluded to it wouldn't matter to some what the GAA does.

I think Jarlath's problem is he knows this will never happen!!  :P

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 29, 2015, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 29, 2015, 02:06:32 PM

I think Jarlath's problem is he knows this will never happen!!  :P
Ouch! sure there is always the Junior final. In a state which denies its Irish citizens any reflection of their nationality these occasions do mean a lot.

AZOffaly

The national anthem at any county final means a lot, within the wee 6 or without.

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2015, 10:43:35 PM
All sporting organisations in the North should drop National flags and anthems.
Neither are necessary to play any sport.

Spoken like a true little free stater...
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
I can just about tolerate national anthems when actual nations are playing against each other.
Get rid of it.

I agree with Jinxy on this.

There is no place in sport for politics or chauvanistic nationalism.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 29, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
I can just about tolerate national anthems when actual nations are playing against each other.
Get rid of it.

That's more or less 60% of all international sport down the pan so :)

foxcommander

No national anthems at the Olympics or any other sports then.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

longballin

doodaa

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 29, 2015, 01:20:20 PM
Feck the lot of them.

Perfectly sums up the attitude of many people in our midst. No interest in building bridges, no interest in inclusiveness, no interest in persuasion, no interest in reconciliation. Their idea of trying to reunite the country is by waving the tricolour and shouting Tiocfaidh ár la. But bringing northern protestants on board to make it actually happen? Forget it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: longballin on September 29, 2015, 05:06:19 PM
Sport is war without arms.. discuss.

Sport and politics have always been linked. It's a known fact.

stew

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 29, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
Get rid of it.

The association has always had a political agenda, since day one the assocation made no bones about its political objectives.*
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ck

Quote from: BennyCake on September 29, 2015, 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: ck on September 29, 2015, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 29, 2015, 10:53:13 AM
Quote from: ck on September 29, 2015, 10:15:44 AM
Well done Jarlath. More people in GAA need to take a leadership position and aim for inclusiveness.
There is a section of the community in the north (Unionists) who haven't the first clue who or what they are and the fact is they are as Irish as I am. They blindly latch on to "Britishness" like a child holds on to it's dummy. Only building bridges and reaching out will change this absolute ignorance.

Jarlath is simply opening the door to these people and taking away the excuses that pathetic and blinkered Unionist politicians like to hide behind.

Latching on to this Britishness will continue no matter how educated they become.

Wouldn't agree. Unionists get no leadership whatsoever. Their politicians have no long term strategy or vision unlike nationalists. The GAA can play it's part by being more inclusive and showing them what real culture and identity is all about

And I suppose Peter Robinson was patted on the back by his electorate for attending a GAA match? Educated or uneducated, many unionists will remain bigoted scum that will never partake in GAA related events.

I say forget about bending over backwards trying to accommodate unionists who will never be interested no matter what changes the GAA made. Focus on our own kids and supporters.

Yes that is one option, and it is the one chosen by many over the last 50 years. It's the easy, small minded and convenient option, which will change nothing.
GAA people are better than that!

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8