Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Line Ball

This man has obviously changed his views to suit where he wants to go, the presidency of the GAA.  I'm sure his views in the article below are completely at odds with the people in his club and the parents of the children in his school.  In an interview with Eamon Mallie, Jarlath Burns states:

Jarlath Burns: Gaa can reach out to Protestants

A former GAA star and one of the sport's leading voices would get rid of the Irish tricolour at games if it helped bring about reconciliation with unionists.
Jarlath Burns also said he would support the ending of the playing of the Irish national anthem if it helped the sport reach out to Protestants.

The former Armagh senior football captain is now chairman of the Rules Committee in GAA headquarters at Croke Park and has been tipped as a potential head of the organisation in the future.

He is also the principal of St Paul's High School in Bessbrook, south Armagh, secretary of Silverbridge Harps GAC and a fluent Irish speaker.

Mr Burns is regarded as one of the most progressive voices in Gaelic sport and republicanism, and was a member of the Eames-Bradley group that produced a controversial report on dealing with the legacy of the Troubles. In July, he praised the outreach work of the Orange Order - and defended the Order after complaints that an Irish tricolour was not flown at the reopening of its Belfast museum.

Last night, he told 'Eamonn Mallie Meets' on Irish TV that the GAA needed to reach out to the unionist community.

And he said that symbols usually associated with the GAA now meant less to him than they once did - and losing them could help build bridges with unionism.
Asked if he would have any reluctance over hauling down the green, white and orange flag flying over a GAA pitch, Mr Burns replied: "Yeah, it wouldn't cost me a thought - and you know this - flags are divisive - do we need to say that any louder?

"If somebody was to propose in the morning that they were going to get rid of them all, it wouldn't bother me at all. It's not one of the core values that I have.

"It's an overtly political thing, it's something which is specific to national borders, it's nothing to do with cultural - if I thought for a moment that suddenly [Ulster Unionist MLA] Tom Elliott would become our greatest fan I would get rid of them surely."

However, he added that "you could do all of those things and there would still be a section of unionism that would still feel repelled by the GAA because of our love of the Irish language for example".

He also accepted that while flags and anthems for him were divisive, getting rid of them "is not going to happen in the GAA".

Farrandeelin

Ah sure while he's at it, he may as well drop the Gaelic part from it and just call it the A.A. The GAA was founded on nationalism. I know that some people will agree with him, but I don't.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Does he really mean it, or like all good politicians does he just speak in forked tongue? He lauds PJ Caraher and the Orange Order depending on his audience.

wobbller

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 28, 2015, 10:40:05 PM
Does he really mean it, or like all good politicians does he just speak in forked tongue? He lauds PJ Caraher and the Orange Order depending on his audience.
Gobshite

Rossfan

All sporting organisations in the North should drop National flags and anthems.
Neither are necessary to play any sport.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

giveballaghback

Sure we will all sing Danny Boy or is it the Londonderry air, just wave orange flags and all support Armagh, march around Croke park behind the lambeg drum and their pipe band playing the sash, if we do it they will come, let them ...... off.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: wobbller on September 28, 2015, 10:41:21 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 28, 2015, 10:40:05 PM
Gobshite
I'm not saying he is wrong and anyone is entitled to a change of heart.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2015, 10:43:35 PM

The GAA is a national organisation. Should we in the South drop our flags and anthems? Or maybe we should all sing along to Ireland's Call? That'll get the Unionists on board...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ashman

There is over use of the anthem in the GAA .  Ditto the national flag . 

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 28, 2015, 10:53:07 PM

The GAA is a national organisation. Should we in the South drop our flags and anthems? Or maybe we should all sing along to Ireland's Call? That'll get the Unionists on board...

Flags and anthems are a tad less controversial in the free state than they are in the north.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 29, 2015, 12:05:54 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 28, 2015, 10:53:07 PM

Flags and anthems are a tad less controversial in the free state than they are in the north.

The GAA should not introduce partition, that should be a core value in the organisation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

As Mr Burns said though, no matter what the GAA do, there will still be large sections of the unionist community that will still want nothing to do with the association. Joining or following GAA would be like betraying their unionist ideals.

J70

A bit of forward thinking from Jarlath. Anyone who's heard the tinny, scratchy sounding anthem squeaking out of the PA in Ballyshannon in February while the wind is howling and rain soaking you through wouldn't be too upset if the anthem was dropped for a good reason.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2015, 12:10:03 AM
The GAA should not introduce partition, that should be a core value in the organisation.

They use Euros in the south and Sterling in the north. Is that introducing partition?