The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I have to say after our performance against the All Black's I'm really looking forward to this 6 Nations. A creative coach who wants to play an fast expansive game should help us I think and given Wales' injury woes and the fact England are looking solid but not spectacular and the French being piss poor this last few years should give us a decent chance.

Slightly worried about the Leinster bias in the squad for the first 2 games though... Surely Gilroy and Zebo were worth a shout even at the expense of Trimble!

Leinster: 18
Ulster: 8
Munster: 5
Connacht: 1
Racing Metro: 1
Cardiff Blues: 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25912352

Ireland's 34-man squad to play Scotland and Wales: Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*, Sean Cronin (Leinster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Chris Henry (Ulster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Martin Moore (Leinster)*, Jordi Murphy (Leinster)*, Paul O'Connell (Munster), Tommy O'Donnell (Munster), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster).

Backs: Darren Cave (Ulster), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), David Kearney (Leinster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Andrew Trimble (Ulster).

* denotes uncapped player

AZOffaly

I'm surprised there's only 3 Munster forwards, and two backs. That one of the backs is Felix Jones is even more of a surprise. Still, I suppose it will keep them fresh. Zebo's just back from injury, and Keatley is obviously losing out to Jackson and Madigan, which is fair enough. Earls is hurt too, so the backs are probably fair enough.

I would have thought Kilcoyne, Archer, O'Donnell would have been closer, but even the forwards have injuries with Donnacha Ryan.

Walter Cronc

Could be wrong but I think France have won every 6 Nations following a Lions tour since the professional era.

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 28, 2014, 11:32:51 AM
Could be wrong but I think France have won every 6 Nations following a Lions tour since the professional era.

Including 3 Grand Slams.

However England were dominant for a lot of them and their players were all bollixed. Wales is the closest comparison this year but with the RaboPro12 players can be managed a little better.

Still I'd expect France to challenge, along with England and ourselves.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 10:18:22 AM
I'm surprised there's only 3 Munster forwards, and two backs. That one of the backs is Felix Jones is even more of a surprise. Still, I suppose it will keep them fresh. Zebo's just back from injury, and Keatley is obviously losing out to Jackson and Madigan, which is fair enough. Earls is hurt too, so the backs are probably fair enough.

I would have thought Kilcoyne, Archer, O'Donnell would have been closer, but even the forwards have injuries with Donnacha Ryan.

Jesus can we not let the Parochial shit go for once. O'Donnell is in the squad, Archer loses out to the form Irish tight-head and Kilcoyne was out of form and lost his place to Cronin and is only coming back now whereas McGrath in Healy's absence has been outstanding.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Piss off Dinny, not being parochial. Some of ye Leinster lads are very touchy. Mea culpa on o'donnell I thought I read a squad without him earlier.

Archer and Kilcoyne will feel hard done by, but I think I said that keatley and Zeno were fair enough. So stick parochial up your land rover driving hole :)

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 03:50:17 PM
Piss off Dinny, not being parochial. Some of ye Leinster lads are very touchy. Mea culpa on o'donnell I thought I read a squad without him earlier.

Archer and Kilcoyne will feel hard done by, but I think I said that keatley and Zeno were fair enough. So stick parochial up your land rover driving hole :)

No need to get all Burberry!  ;D
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

I'm an Irish fan foremost ya turnip muncher and can't understand how anyone rates Archer as an International player.

Zebo needs to mature off the pitch and I reckon that's a factor in his omission.

#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 03:53:19 PM
Burberry?

They design some Land Rover interiors as well as dressing most of the drivers. You would see many Burberry jackets in Twickenham. Not sure about Dinny though.

See:

MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Nice!

For my sins I do have a sheepskin coat to my name.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 28, 2014, 04:00:23 PM
I'm an Irish fan foremost ya turnip muncher and can't understand how anyone rates Archer as an International player.

Zebo needs to mature off the pitch and I reckon that's a factor in his omission.

Be honest Dinny, you can't see any Munster player as an international unless he's 10 times better than his Leinster equivalent. You're so parochial :)

And if we are talking about off the pitch maturity there's about a million international rugby players who should not be capped.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 28, 2014, 04:05:32 PM
Nice!

I knew it!!!!  And for the record, I hate turnip.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 04:08:55 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 28, 2014, 04:05:32 PM
Nice!

I knew it!!!!  And for the record, I hate turnip.

Of course you do you're a Leinster man after all, raised on foie gras.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I don't eat grass! How dare you?