Last Player from unfashionable clubs to play Senior Championship for Mayo?

Started by From the Bunker, September 22, 2010, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: blast05 on September 26, 2010, 01:53:26 PM
OK, stand corrected. It might have been the north mayo before the county semi .... although mightn't even have the right year !
Anyway, point is there are plenty of raw nuggets playing junior football that need a bit of polishing and it is only through investment by the county board that such polishing can take place.

Could have been 1988, Dempsey and Staunton would have been in their last year of minor.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Quote from: stephenite on September 26, 2010, 01:00:21 AM
I could be wrong but I seem to recall Colm Foody from Bonniconlon getting a few minutes championship action against London or New York one year
Still playing in London as far as i know

ludermor

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sometimes-small-is-beautiful-2353378.html

Ineeresting article in the Indo today about Corks All Irekand winning squad.

''The remarkable fact is that of Cork's starting 15 last Sunday, only seven play senior club football. And four of the five subs introduced by Conor Counihan -- Nicholas Murphy, Graham Canty, Colm O'Neill, Fintan Gould -- also ply their trade outside the top grade, bringing the junior and intermediate contingent to an amazing 12. ''

RedandGreenSniper

Have to admit I was very impressed with Michael Forde, he has the makings of a real gem. It was unusual this year to see so many Junior clubs represented for Mayo - Forde from Ballycastle, Conor Walsh from Balla, Darren Durkan from Parke and Adrian Leonard from Lahardane. It seems that the management may have done a proper scouting of the county. Things like the West Mayo set-up this year might help too to bring guys like Ollie and Vinny Feeney and Simon Cloherty into contention. That wouldn't have happened if they were just relying on Junior.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

What constitutes an unfashionable team, does it have to be senior, or can it be Intermediate or Junior but doing well at those levels?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

On the flip side, what constitutes a fashionable team - what's the criteria for being a fashionable club

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on September 27, 2010, 06:24:28 AM
On the flip side, what constitutes a fashionable team - what's the criteria for being a fashionable club

South of Ballina.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:28:26 AM

South of Ballina.
Red and yellow are hardly fashionable colours....

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on September 27, 2010, 11:48:43 AM

South of Ballina.

I'm hoping they are in 3 weeks.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 02:09:54 AM
What constitutes an unfashionable team, does it have to be senior, or can it be Intermediate or Junior but doing well at those levels?

Presntly Garrymore, could be labeled, they would definitely not have been in the 80's. Balla unfashionable today, but where top dogs in the '90's.

Unfashionable is what it says on the tin, not often noticed in (Mayo) Gaa. This is not to dig at any club.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ballinaman on September 27, 2010, 11:48:43 AM

South of Ballina.

The Future is Yellow and Red (Orange   ;)  )
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 27, 2010, 02:35:40 PM
Hollymount would be unfashionable now as well.

They have had an amazing fall over the last couple of decades. I still have nightmares about going there.
MWWSI 2017

blast05

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 12:24:02 AM
Have to admit I was very impressed with Michael Forde, he has the makings of a real gem. It was unusual this year to see so many Junior clubs represented for Mayo - Forde from Ballycastle, Conor Walsh from Balla, Darren Durkan from Parke and Adrian Leonard from Lahardane. It seems that the management may have done a proper scouting of the county. Things like the West Mayo set-up this year might help too to bring guys like Ollie and Vinny Feeney and Simon Cloherty into contention. That wouldn't have happened if they were just relying on Junior.

Forde featured as prominently as he did cos he had a years fresher football in NUIG under his belt. If he hadn't this and was only going to college this year i doubt he would have been such an influence .....  how many potential minors that didn't have the experience of a years fresher football missed out cos they weren't considered good enough after a few trials ?
This is not to in any way dismiss the efforts of the minor selectors in scouring the county but investment by the county board in divisonal structures will lead to more players like Forde coming through from the 'unfashionable clubs' (what would we call them then ?!)  ... the polishing of the raw diamonds.
An investment of say 15K a year in the North Mayo division (say at U-16, U-18, U-21 and senior grades) where all the junior clubs merge as per the temporary effort of 7 or 8 years ago would in time see a better balance of players coming from these smaller clubs a la Cork. But that 15K a year is now needed to service the debt on the big slatted house in Castlebar.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: blast05 on September 27, 2010, 08:30:07 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 12:24:02 AM

Forde featured as prominently as he did cos he had a years fresher football in NUIG under his belt. If he hadn't this and was only going to college this year i doubt he would have been such an influence .....  how many potential minors that didn't have the experience of a years fresher football missed out cos they weren't considered good enough after a few trials ?
This is not to in any way dismiss the efforts of the minor selectors in scouring the county but investment by the county board in divisonal structures will lead to more players like Forde coming through from the 'unfashionable clubs' (what would we call them then ?!)  ... the polishing of the raw diamonds.
An investment of say 15K a year in the North Mayo division (say at U-16, U-18, U-21 and senior grades) where all the junior clubs merge as per the temporary effort of 7 or 8 years ago would in time see a better balance of players coming from these smaller clubs a la Cork. But that 15K a year is now needed to service the debt on the big slatted house in Castlebar.

Could we rent it as a slated house in the winter? Be one way to service the debt.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year