Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Great memories Mallon, hope you will be editing in october again :)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

T O Hare

Quote from: Pangurban on June 10, 2008, 09:09:34 PM
Can the Bridge make an impact in Ulster, i seriously doubt it. Lets hope come Championship a new force emerges capable of giving it a lash

Who in your opinion is capable  of emerging to compete with the best in Ulster
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Niall Quinn

Quote from: T O Hare on June 11, 2008, 05:27:26 PM
Can the Bridge make an impact in Ulster, i seriously doubt it. Lets hope come Championship a new force emerges capable of giving it a lash

Super-Bosco

A 2008 industrial mishap at a Newry nuclear plant leads to the Gamma ray contamination of 24 senior footballers during a shuttle sprint drill, and so is born the future of Gaelic games..
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

amallon

Quote from: Niall Quinn on June 11, 2008, 05:46:49 PM

Super-Bosco

A 2008 industrial mishap at a Newry nuclear plant leads to the Gamma ray contamination of 24 senior footballers during a shuttle sprint drill, and so is born the future of Gaelic games..

:D  :D  :D
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

st pauls mcgrath

gotta agree, absoloute disgrace that we have reserve c'ship this sunday! would love to get up to watch the hurlers (win hopefully) but it wouldnt do for the ass holes in the county board to give a hurling game any attention!!! buck the tossers out an get someone 2 do a decent job!
Down by birth....St.Pauls by the grace of god

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Niall Quinn on June 11, 2008, 05:46:49 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on June 11, 2008, 05:27:26 PM

Super-Bosco

Most of them alreadyn think they are the super bosco after a bottle of buckfast!!

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: imdagaffer on June 11, 2008, 09:31:43 PM
Sure why nt make a start, MY team for Saturday evening. I am sure it will spark debate & you will have your own opinion.....

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Luke Howard
3. Martin Cole
4. Dan McCartan in for Murney
5. Ronan Murtagh from Wing half & drop Aidan (unlikely to happen?)
6. Liam Doyle
7. Paul Murphy in for Rafferty
8. Dan Gordon
9. Jack Lynch
10. Ronan Sexton
11. Ambrose Rogers
12. Danny Hughes
13. John Clarke  
14. Paul McComiskey
15. Brendan Coulter

In short Drop Fegan for McComiskey, Sexton moves out to half fwd, McComiskey full forward. murtagh didnt do too much for me Sunday & has the ability to carry the ball with vision from the half back line with Ambrose in the half forward line.

Paul murph in for D Raff & Dan Mccartan in for murney....... Keep the midfield. lynch was quiet but didnt do much wrong & if as expected Cavanagh comes back to the middle of the park we will need Lynch's strength. Seriously hoping Dan Gordon lines out.......

your fairly on the money there, mc comiskey has to start u cant have someone playin that well and just reserve them as an impact sub, unfair to the player and wud jus have him pissed off. murney and rafferty were largely ineffective but id question ur call to leave lynch on the field. appreciate we wud need strength against cavanagh but lynch fouling around him wouldnt be much use.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

dodgy umpire

and nearly forgot, carr did well in 2nd half so we can forgive him for his dire performance in the first 20 or so

back off the net

i think down missed the boat same old story play well for 20 min or so and still cant beat a poor tyrone team that did not play at all they took there foot off the gas.armagh will beat any off the 2 teams if they play like that.think armagh will give ulster a good run if they come out off it god only knows were they could go

dodgy umpire

Quote from: imdagaffer on June 11, 2008, 10:42:54 PM
McComiskey must be thinking "what the hell do I have to do to get a start here.....!" he was itching to get on the pitch on Sunday & if he wasnt fouled when he won the free at the end he had the pace to spin off toward goal!.

Good point re carr & realistically ross wont drop him.....If lynch doesnt start mid park who else do we have? Id like to see ambrose half forward....

id say it would have to be ambrose, dont think colgan would be worth the risk starting. what about coles suspension????

imdagaffer

dodgy umpire

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 11, 2008, 11:07:23 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on June 11, 2008, 10:32:57 PM
your fairly on the money there, mc comiskey has to start u cant have someone playin that well and just reserve them as an impact sub, unfair to the player and wud jus have him pissed off. murney and rafferty were largely ineffective but id question ur call to leave lynch on the field. appreciate we wud need strength against cavanagh but lynch fouling around him wouldnt be much use.

I would start Lynch, even if he was to be called ashore at half time. We will need his strength early on. I would expect Tyrone to try to crowd out the middle of the field and launch quick ball into the full forward line.  I would go with

1. Brendan McVeigh

2. Luke Howard
3. Gary McArdle if Monk is suspended, though this would be a last resort.
4. Damian Rafferty.

5. Aidan Carr.
6. Liam Doyle.
7. Paul Murphy.

8. Dan Gordon I think he ill be fit and ready.
9.  Jackie Lynch.

10. Ronan Murtagh.
11. Ambrose Rodgers.
12. John Clarke.
13. Ronan Sexton.

14. Brendan Coulter.
15. Paul McCumiskey.

wouldnt have much confidence in rafferty. who would replace lynch at half time were he to start? drop ambrose back? you wouldnt fancy clarke at corner forward?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 11, 2008, 11:22:26 PM
I have been a fan of Jackie Lynch, I think we have missed a physical footballer for a long time, too many spice boys  ;), but I dont think Jackie can last 70 minutes of Championship football. If he needs to be replaced, I would bring Ambi back, although he would probably really be playing as a third midfielder. I still dont think Ross will start with McCumiskey. He sees him as an impact sub, who will run at tired legs. I would drop Daniel Hughes as he was poor on Sunday, but then again I criticised him in the run up to the McKenna Cup final and he was MOTM.

I also think the crowd have a big part to play on Saturday. Omagh was very subdued on Sunday, especially from a Tyrone point of view. We need to get behind Down and create a good atmosphere. This time last week I was very pessimistic, although I wouldnt say I am optomistic, we can beat this Tyrone side. Stop Dooher from turning defence into attack and you stop Tyrone. Murphy done an excellent job last week when introduced. If he does it again for 70 minutes we will be there or there abouts. Coulter was quiet last week, expect Benny to announce his arrival in style.

ill agree with the spice boys factor and jackie isnt afraid to throw his weight about but wouldnt have a hope of chasing cavanagh should he make a run or 2. while hes the best impact sub in ireland im sure he would fancy himself as a good startin player too, not fair to keep him on the bench for playing well! tyrone will be a long way from home on saturday night and lets home benny shows the home crowd what hes capable of like u say

Mourne Rover

Lynch is all heart but he could only be considered in an emergency. He was not at the races in Omagh and Colgan is the logical partner for Ambrose. It sounds as though we will be lucky to get the last 10 minutes out of Dan at full forward. McComiskey must start, as the surprise factor is now gone. If we hold him back in the hope that he can run at a tiring opponent, Tyrone will send on a fresh defender as soon as he appears. McArdle started the league reasonably well but lost confidence along the way. He will probably have to come in if Cole's suspension is confirmed. Tyrone obviously have injuries as well, but it is difficult to believe that we can survive the loss of our only experienced out and out defender and the midfielder who on Sunday's form is the best in Ulster in his position. However, we will not be lacking either motivation or support on Saturday night.