Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

@Niall_Gartland

Feargal Logan and Collie Holmes are the most likely candidates for the Tyrone job. Lot of chatter that Harte won't be putting his name forward but nothing official on that at this stage.

bigtogs

Rumours down Here Holmes and Logan are running against each other both with 2 other men with them....

bigtogs

Quote from: the_daddy on November 13, 2020, 09:16:26 AM
Quote from: bigtogs on November 13, 2020, 09:02:41 AM
Rumours down Here Holmes and Logan are running against each other both with 2 other men with them....

If you believe everything you read on whatsapp then we're breaking the bank for Jim Gavin or Jimmy McGuinness. But, knowing this county board, we'll end up with Gavin McGuinness.

I understand that i think Logan and Holmes are more realistic to be fair.... Time will tell...

Angelo

Quote from: Taylor on November 13, 2020, 07:45:06 AM
Quote from: trileacman on November 13, 2020, 12:35:39 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 11:05:11 PM
Do you think Tyrone haven't the players to challenge that approach and set up more offensively? Kerry turned their back on it last week.

Need defenders. Defenders are the key to playing offensively. One of the reasons we moved to being a quite defensive team is that after Jordan, Gormley, Ricey et al passed their best we had to shore up the defence by dropping forwards back in there. After good defenders you need a way to control, maybe even dominate at midfield. Look at the Dubs and Mayo this past 10 years, they have better footballers in the back and middle 3rd than at the front.

When you have defenders who can hold their own and a middle third that dominate kickouts you can play a lot higher up the pitch and take more risks offensively. Do we have the players? I think we arguably do in defence. I rate our man-markers quite highly, McNamee I think is particularly under-rated and Breenan and even Patsy have very good defensive qualities. Rafferty has come on leaps and bounds this year and Hampsey when fit is a top level player too.

Arguably the middle 3rd is now our weakest point especially without Coly for kickouts. McGeary, McCann, McKernan, Kennedy, Sludden, P Harte, McCurry struggle quite alot around that middle 3rd this year.

It's a difficult question you've asked but the whole secret and what Harte was once so great at was recognising deficiencies in your panel/team and papering over them with tactics. As an example, for basically the entire 2000's we were shit at winning kickouts but we developed a style where we were the best team in Ireland at winning the breaking ball. Our plan was pretty much to send out a lummox to jump and break the ball out of Darragh O'Se/McGrane/Whelan's hands and we'd get Dooher, Jordan, McGuigan, McGinley to hoover up the scraps.

I think we do have the players to go very very close to winning an AI. Bar Clifford who's next level and Sean O'Se freetaking we've as good a squad as Kerry or Mayo or Donegal. Football is crying out for a new tactical paradigm though and it's long overdue. Think Armagh 02, Kerry 06, Tyrone 08, Donegal 2011, Dublin 2015 onwards. Football tactics have kinda stagnated this past 5 years. We haven't really moved on from where Dublin were in say 2015. I think there's certain some new tactical angle or approach out there that will shortly change the game substantially again. That's why the list of potentials for the Tyrone job is dissappointing. They're just a load of guys who are fairly good at understanding the game the way it currently is. None have shown a way to take it to the next level.

Con OCallaghan & Paul Mannion might have something to say about that

Mannion does an awful lot of dog work in his own full back line. Can recall a Super 8s game in Omagh where he was the last man back getting a tackle in to deny McShane a goal when he was named at corner forward.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

I'd have a preference for Logan over Holmes if they were the two main candidates.

The feather in Holmes cap is the u17 AI which was basically a B competition he won with a very talented squad. He was only part of the Dungannon backroom team so hard to say how much of a role he played.

Has Logan managed anyone since the u21s? Presumably he'd be looking to have Dooher back on the management team.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: toby47 on November 13, 2020, 09:01:35 AM
@Niall_Gartland

Feargal Logan and Collie Holmes are the most likely candidates for the Tyrone job. Lot of chatter that Harte won't be putting his name forward but nothing official on that at this stage.

Harte has the hump, but if he runs, he will be the manager.

Angelo

Whether Harte goes or not I really hope we uphold our media ban with RTE until such time they give a full and frank apology for the scurrilous coverage they have Tyrone GAA, their players and management over the course of the past 20 years.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Angelo on November 13, 2020, 09:54:01 AM
Whether Harte goes or not I really hope we uphold our media ban with RTE until such time they give a full and frank apology for the scurrilous coverage they have Tyrone GAA, their players and management over the course of the past 20 years.
cop yourself on. The county is trying to move forward not go back.

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 13, 2020, 10:05:12 AM
Quote from: Angelo on November 13, 2020, 09:54:01 AM
cop yourself on. The county is trying to move forward not go back.

Cop myself on?

RTE has consistently slurred and demeaned Tyrone football for over 20 years.

Sean Cavanagh, Tiernan McCann, Mickey Harte and his family, Brian Dooher all mocked, abused and trashed live on RTE over the years.

Our football and success consistently tarnished and diminished by RTE pundits and broadcasters.

Scurrilous allegations of Tyrone football being made throughout the years with little basis.

You look at the incident with a Tyrone minor player having his name dragged through the mud in recent years, the Tyrone u21s in 2015 success being demeaned when we were actually more sinned against that sinners.

RTE are f**king pigdogs of the highest order and I'd hope that the Tyrone county board show a bit of integrity and refuse to deal with them until such time as a frank and extensive apology is issued for their coverage over that time, Mickey Harte or no Mickey Harte.

Compare that to the treatment of other counties and other players. RTE pundits silently sitting on their hands looking at each other awkwardly when Aidan O'Shea dives to send Fermanagh out of the Championship while Tiernan McCann was asked to apologise.

Am I surprised at you sticking up for them? I am not, what you said about Michael McKernan on the main board was absolutely disgraceful and shows you for the nasty and spiteful individual you are.

southtyronegael

It's always everyone else's fault with you. Blame rte, blame the ref every time we are beat. Any wonder we are hated at the minute. Let's hope the new manager can clean up our act and help change the narrative against us.

GetOverTheBar

I can't imagine what this thread would be like with no Mickey Harte.

southtyronegael

Hopefully things won't be as toxic and the county will unite behind the new manager.

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 13, 2020, 10:47:13 AM
It's always everyone else's fault with you. Blame rte, blame the ref every time we are beat. Any wonder we are hated at the minute. Let's hope the new manager can clean up our act and help change the narrative against us.

No.

It's just completely unbalanced coverage. RTE have been absolutely toxic in their coverage of Tyrone.

But you are the type of toxic personality that makes vitriolic and poisonous comments about your own county men based on baseless allegations and innuendo. What you said about McKernan last week was utterly disgraceful and your comments previously on Mickey Harte were completely beyond the pale.

You are a very sad inidividual.

southtyronegael

Says the guy the guy they nicknamed 'dr death' in the coronavirus thread.

southtyronegael

Anyway I'm not letting Angelo drag me down to his level. So Niall gartland seems to be the man with his finger on the pulse. He says Logan and Holmes running for the job separately.