Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

bannside

Firstly lets give a big shout out to Lenny Brendan and Finty for a huge committment. They gave everything they had to take us to that extra level, and were very unfortunate that did not work out. Their efforts should be recognised.

paddyjohn

We have plenty of decent gaffers on this board... Get your names in

Na Glinntí Glasa

I've been involved with our senior hurlers, footballers and camogiers. By god it takes over your life and everything you do has to revolve around the team, trainings, matches, friendlies, player injuries, admin etc. Its something that takes over and your family, work and personal life all have to fit into it as well.

Id say a county set up is even more than that and fair play to any man or woman that takes it on. The expectations in our county are probably unrealistic due to how strong ulster football is and that along with the long running failures in our history whoever comes in to take the job on is expected to change it around instantly.

Its not a job for someone unless theres a long term plan in place and commitment to back that plan as well.
hurl like f**k boi!

antrimman667

Someone based with the Universities worth a shout? Deegan or Paul Rouse, could even give O'Rourke a chance to implement his grand idea

123Bigball

Did rouse not get the road from the loup after 1 season. And with the quality of players UUJ have had at his disposal they done nothing.

No need to rush this decision in the first few weeks. Should be plenty of interest for the job regardless of recent seasons and results.

toby47

Quote from: antrimman667 on November 10, 2020, 12:59:46 PM
Someone based with the Universities worth a shout? Deegan or Paul Rouse, could even give O'Rourke a chance to implement his grand idea

He would take Antrim to Division 5

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 11:11:57 AM
Most defo needs to go to a SW man... with how well the SW west managers have been performing in the the clubs like Cargin these last few years and Creggan last year, even Aghagallon have done really well in the SW.. I'm sure anyone of those managers would love a crack at the job....oh wait
I say give it to a St Galls man, hasn't been enough of them given a chance in the last 15- 20 years (Cough Cough PJ O Hare, Mickey Culbert, Frank Dawson, Lenny)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 10, 2020, 01:51:36 PM
Most defo needs to go to a SW man... with how well the SW west managers have been performing in the the clubs like Cargin these last few years and Creggan last year, even Aghagallon have done really well in the SW.. I'm sure anyone of those managers would love a crack at the job....oh wait
I say give it to a St Galls man, hasn't been enough of them given a chance in the last 15- 20 years (Cough Cough PJ O Hare, Mickey Culbert, Frank Dawson, Lenny)

I'm all for the best man for the job. The SW managers at the helm of the SW clubs that are doing well should get the nod, no?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

What SW clubs are doing well? Do you realise Cargin are the only team from SW since the late 60s to win the championship. If you are being serious and referring to Cargin then yes we have an outside manager currently. If you think were succesful would logic not tell you Antrim need to go and do the same. Seems its ok for the hurlers to do it?

Dunsilly King

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 10, 2020, 01:51:36 PM

I didn't realise so many St Galls men have had the opportunity to manage Antrim. Any fecking wonder were in D4  ;)

MR2 for manager? Another Gt Galls man, eh? that could be our new slogan lads ?

MR2! MR2! MR2! MR2!  8) only having a laugh MR2  ;) 8)

Watched the game last night for the first, We certainly had the chance, but never went for it. Gallaghers gl chance was massive, v limited on the ball and it showed, whilst the Down player made the right call with a simple fist pass for a palm in, Gallagher has yet to see the Antrim player to his left utterly free for a palm in. Brilliant move. We got alot right. Mick Mc Cann the main driver. Hard to believe Lenny had him off the panel for the Wicklow game and then phoned him after the game to get him back in, seriously  ;D  Imagine if Lenny had of accommodated McCann's business commitments over the past two seasons, we would be out of D4. Lenny fell on that sword. Our captain did a brilliant man marking job to.
One dimensional tactics beat us in the end, when Cavan went to 14 on the black card we should have been going full press at the start of the second half on them as well as their Kickouts. That was our chance. But ultimately fitness and lack of conditioning took its toll in the final 10

Milltown Row2

I laughed hard there  ;D

So some points.
Tomas was injured and that's one reason why he didn't start and then came off
Mick was injured for the Wicklow game apparently, as I did a inhouse game at Dunsilly and that's was the reason I was given on the day
Mick McCann has been one of Antrim's best players for many years, and it showed during that game, Its a pity he wasn't moving the ball into a fit Kevin Niblock
I thought our kickout's were great and this was also mentioned during the halftime talks, we just lost possession on the ball.

I'm busy and the big ball game wouldn't be my first love 8)

As for Gall's men taking the team sure when you need experienced managers who have taken their club to winning Ulster (PJ) winning platers Ulster (Frank, PJ, Lenny) Managing an All Ireland (Lenny) and an All Ireland winning player (under 21) Culbert, that's not a bad set of lads to pull from in Antrim.

CV's mean nothing if we can't improve our worth, and get out of Div 4...

Hard work, buy in and a bitta luck is needed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on November 10, 2020, 10:53:22 AM
Very good interview with Liam Bradley in the paper over the weekend.

Baker 3???

Yes
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

JimStynes

What about this business forum putting up some money to go and fund a recognised management team and set up. Who'd want the job though!

bannside

We are constantly putting ourselves down.  Plenty of good footballers and plenty of good managers around who with any luck at all would have us playing at a higher level. No doubt about it.

Re Saffron Business Forum, yes Im sure they would contribute to the football pot if the right case was made. Another dozen or so businesses signed up would make a huge difference if you know of any. You will need a much more positive attitude though if you do feel like approaching them though!