FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Probably a good thing fans can't attend games. Bad enough having to watch free on tv without paying £50 or £60 for a ticket to watch it.

themac_23

I used to love watching Ireland games, this week I watched the first 20 mins of the England game and actually watched none of last nights game. up to the end of MONs time id have never missed a game. the 1 thing I want out of an Ireland team is to be competitive, we aren't at all. Stephen Kenny wants to play a brand of football that he doesn't have the players for, its a cliche saying but you play the hand you're dealt. get a system in place and stick to it. for all his faults that's what Mick McCarthy done at every team he was at, if he had limited players he built the founds on hard work and dogged defending, get the ball into the opposition half then try work off knock Downs 2nd balls. not the prettiest but effective enough. I think Kenny will get the chance of qualification although in my opinion he's not the man, if he gets us to the WC then il gladly eat humble pie because well be in a major tournament. Throwing it out there, the next Ireland manager should be Sam Allardyce, gets a tune out of every squad he goes into with limited players. he's a perfect fit for our job I think

6th sam

Quote from: themac_23 on November 16, 2020, 08:29:53 AM
I used to love watching Ireland games, this week I watched the first 20 mins of the England game and actually watched none of last nights game. up to the end of MONs time id have never missed a game. the 1 thing I want out of an Ireland team is to be competitive, we aren't at all. Stephen Kenny wants to play a brand of football that he doesn't have the players for, its a cliche saying but you play the hand you're dealt. get a system in place and stick to it. for all his faults that's what Mick McCarthy done at every team he was at, if he had limited players he built the founds on hard work and dogged defending, get the ball into the opposition half then try work off knock Downs 2nd balls. not the prettiest but effective enough. I think Kenny will get the chance of qualification although in my opinion he's not the man, if he gets us to the WC then il gladly eat humble pie because well be in a major tournament. Throwing it out there, the next Ireland manager should be Sam Allardyce, gets a tune out of every squad he goes into with limited players. he's a perfect fit for our job I think

At long last, it's only taken 579 pages on this thread, but eventually someone has seen sense and realised that Sam Allardyce is the man to bring us home a World Cup😜
Is this same Sam Allardyce who Derided Kevin Kilbane for declaring for Ireland , and had to
Leave the England post.
I don't pretend to know much about it, but surely we have a mountain to climb to be meaningfully competitive on the international stage. We may as well go with a manager who seems genuine and motivated to make us better in the long term, and isn't a mercenary paid millions to make us slightly more competitive in the short term.

BennyCake

Quote from: 6th sam on November 16, 2020, 08:59:39 AM

At long last, it's only taken 579 pages on this thread, but eventually someone has seen sense and realised that Sam Allardyce is the man to bring us home a World Cup😜
Is this same Sam Allardyce who Derided Kevin Kilbane for declaring for Ireland , and had to
Leave the England post.
I don't pretend to know much about it, but surely we have a mountain to climb to be meaningfully competitive on the international stage. We may as well go with a manager who seems genuine and motivated to make us better in the long term, and isn't a mercenary paid millions to make us slightly more competitive in the short term.

Seems genuine? What does that mean? He's a nice fella? Who gives a shite. Would you not rather have a ignorant bollix in charge as long as he got Ireland to major tournaments?

Motivated to make us better? Isn't that what all managers aim to do? Even the shite ones?

Pat Kenny is the cheap option. Simple as that.

6th sam

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2020, 09:13:11 AM

Leave the England post.

Seems genuine? What does that mean? He's a nice fella? Who gives a shite. Would you not rather have a ignorant bollix in charge as long as he got Ireland to major tournaments?

Motivated to make us better? Isn't that what all managers aim to do? Even the shite ones?

We are what we are.
We're a long way off being competitive, I'm only interested in a strategy that makes us sustainably competitive in the future. I'd sooner spend millions on grass roots than millions on Sam Allardyce 🤦🏻‍♂️

themac_23

Leave the England post.

You're right a manager who got bolton to 5th in the English Premiership, kept Blackburn, West Ham, Palace & Sunderland up when they were in relegation places, (Palace and Sunderland being a miracle) and getting the England job is def not the answer in comparison to a manager who got Dunfirmline relegated from the SPL and unable to get them back up. then floated around the LOI with 1 major achievement in getting Dundalk to the Europa grow; stages.

100% I think Sam would get us to a major tournament. I dont know about you, but id rather win games, or at least give ourselves the ability to win games by setting up properly than trying to play football 'the right way' and concede stupid goals and not even look like scoring.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-latest-blank-has-kenny-guessing-at-numbers-and-figures-1.4410096
Most of all we need to remember what has happened over the last few years of Irish football, though this is not easy, since so little of it has been memorable or worth remembering. The bill has come due not only for John Delaney's years of misrule and the big-picture organisational shambles of the game in this country, but also for the flight from modernity under Giovanni Trapattoni and Martin O'Neill, until we had become a team that attempted only the most basic football imaginable, and latterly could not even pull that off
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trileacman

Delighted to see Ireland run out convincing winners against Wales on the "playing the game the right way" scoreboard. Unfortunately the technocrats at FIFA insists on measuring performances by goals scored vs goals conceded so the world and its dog mistakenly think Ireland actually lost 1-0 the other night.

So great to see Kenny achieve such results with such a limited squad unlike his many predecessors who of course had absolute worldbeaters like Aiden Mc heady,  Kevin Kilbane, Lee carsley and Clinton Morrison to rely on.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

SHEEDY

Matt Doherty and James mcclean have tested positive for covid19, rest of squad tested negative.
nil satis nisi optimum

mouview

What gruesome form of self-flagellation is this?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2020, 09:13:11 AM

Leave the England post.

Pat doesn't come cheap, just ask RTE.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 16, 2020, 01:57:17 PM
Matt Doherty and James mcclean have tested positive for covid19, rest of squad tested negative.

Burke and McEniff of Rovers, Taylor of Peterborough and Parrott of Milwall called up.

Kenny has 14 players out. The man has had no luck.

NAG1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 16, 2020, 09:46:20 PM

Burke and McEniff of Rovers, Taylor of Peterborough and Parrott of Milwall called up.

All international football should be suspended until such times as they can better control it. Some point the players all being in these bubbles to then every month or so land into a squad and backroom staff completely new.

toby47

Quote from: NAG1 on November 17, 2020, 08:35:14 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 16, 2020, 09:46:20 PM

All international football should be suspended until such times as they can better control it. Some point the players all being in these bubbles to then every month or so land into a squad and backroom staff completely new.

I read yesterday on BBC Sport that 14 premiership footballers have contracted Covid over the international break.

I agree that all international football should be halted during these times.

Itchy

Quote from: mouview on November 16, 2020, 04:00:31 PM

What gruesome form of self-flagellation is this?

I dont like watching Kennys teams lose trying to play football so lets get big sam in to do some route one football. If that is your cup of tea go and watch some 2nd Tier league of Ireland maybe?