Premier League 2016/17

Started by Boycey, July 13, 2016, 01:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 13, 2017, 11:58:36 AM
Its been a poor league since 2009, the league hasn't had any of Europe's best teams since then.

Chelsea have surprised me and done brilliantly but their lack of European football has really helped them, they've had better preparation for games than most of their rivals and its led to 11 of their players have played in at least 30 league games; Compare that to United who've had only one player who's made more than 30 appearances and thats the keeper.

Yeah, it was far more exciting when Man Utd were winning it nearly every other year!  ::)

Minder

Any of the top English teams, with the revenue they have, should have no problems competing on multiple fronts.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Minder on May 13, 2017, 10:52:30 PM
Any of the top English teams, with the revenue they have, should have no problems competing on multiple fronts.

They do though on a domestic front, teams aren't good enough to win a CL though. I do expect that to change in the next few years.

Fuzzman

Who do people think was the best and worst manager of the top 6 or 7?
At the start of the year it was very exciting as so many of the top clubs had new managers or nearly new (Klopp)

Of course it's easy to say Conte is the best as they won the league but personally I think Poncho has proven he has what it takes to turn a mediocre club into a top 3 club now 2 years in a row. Yes they've not done well in Europe but they seem quite a bit ahead of Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd now.
However, how will they cope next year away from WHL and playing at Wembley. I'd not be surprised if Poncho is poached by a big European club.

The two Manchester club managers were very disappointing this year and you would wonder do they have what it takes to turn things around.

Personally I'm relatively happy with Koeman as he's stabilised the club and made us quite formidable at home. Obviously Lukaku's goals have been a huge help and if he goes this summer as I expect I think we'll struggle to make any impact on that top 6 next year again. Still it's nice to get back into Europe

laoislad

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 14, 2016, 10:52:27 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 13, 2016, 03:05:21 PM
Very hard to call this season I think.
I'll go with a top 4 of (in no particular order)Man City,Chelsea,Liverpool and Man United.
Don't think Liverpool will win it so the winner will come from the other 3 imo.

Relegated will be Burnley, Bournemouth and Watford .

Based on what?? All the quality new signings??  ;D ;D ;D
8)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Arsenal and Man Utd were shite.
I think the EPL has a problem

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/may/19/premier-league-10-things-to-look-out-for-on-the-final-day-of-the-season
It is a damning indictment of almost three-quarters of the teams who make up The Best League In The World™ that in the mini-league of 13 sides who sit 15 points or more behind Everton, West Brom remain in second place despite having taken only two points from the past 24

AZOffaly

Who calls it the 'Best League in the World'?

Also, is such a narrow spread not indicative of a decently competitive league?

Captain Obvious

Only 66 points was needed to finish in the top four last season. Arsenal with 71 points finished 2nd last season and now this season with a total of 75 points they are shite?

laoislad

That was some cringefest at Chelsea when Terry was substituted.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

It was an incredibly dull end of season. That the relegation places were decided almost a month ago meant the last 3-4 rounds of fixtures were little more than exhibition games, in which the better sides routinely swatted off the lesser sides, who had nothing to play for.

Some of the comments above ridiculing  the "best league in the world" are though a little trite.

There is no doubt that the Spanish league is currently the best in terms of individual players and collective ability to win European competitions. But a dull end of season still happens 4 years out of every 5 over there, and hammerings for bottom half sides happen every week of the year.

What I found interesting in England is that 3 of the top 4 spots were taken by teams who largely built on what was there rather than splurging money on expensive toys.

Chelsea wouldn't have won the title as convincingly without Luiz and Kanye, but both were bought with specific roles in mind, to complement existing resources.

Wanyama had an excellent second half of the season for Spurs, but it was the shape and players from last year who drove them forward.

Wyjnaldum and Mane both lifted Liverpool but it was largely the same team as before.

Maybe we are about to enter an age when managers build teams and coach players, rather than buy unnecessary toys just because they can. Here's hoping.

Saffrongael

Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2017, 11:14:36 PM
That was some cringefest at Chelsea when Terry was substituted.

Apparently Terry organised the whole embarrassment, guard of honour etc when getting substituted.

What a prize c**k
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

AZOffaly

Captain. Leader. Bellend.

Shamrock Shore

Now I usually don't get annoyed at what happens over beyant.

But this load of shite for Terry has pissed me off. That fact that the hoor organised it himself speaks volumes about his character and the whole cringefest that is the Premiership.

Like when you see the Jazesing mascots doing the minute'd silence.

Bollocks to that.

AZOffaly

That is one of the all time great photos. With the big smiling seagull head on him.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2017, 01:03:21 PM
That is one of the all time great photos. With the big smiling seagull head on him.
I'm going onto Twitter to demand that the seagull is sacked.

And apparently Moyes agreed that a Sunderland player would kick the ball out after 26 minutes. Chelsea should have been told to do one.