Short/Medium term internet access in Ireland

Started by dec, April 09, 2018, 03:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

My US based in-laws will be staying in Ireland for about six months. There is no land line in the house where they will be staying, they will rely on a mobile phone. They have a laptop, what would be a good way to get internet access for about six months (they don't want to sign a long term contract). This would be just for email, browsing news websites etc. no heavy bandwidth video streaming or downloading.

Do the any of the mobile phone companies have wifi hotspot devices that would allow this?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: dec on April 09, 2018, 03:52:24 PM
My US based in-laws will be staying in Ireland for about six months. There is no land line in the house where they will be staying, they will rely on a mobile phone. They have a laptop, what would be a good way to get internet access for about six months (they don't want to sign a long term contract). This would be just for email, browsing news websites etc. no heavy bandwidth video streaming or downloading.

Do the any of the mobile phone companies have wifi hotspot devices that would allow this?

Best bet might be a pre pay phone with 3 and tether from that. They offer all you can eat date in Ireland, its 20 euro's a month.

AZOffaly

If you don't want to tether your mobile, you can get Huwei dongles which act as Hotspots, and you can prepay them. You should see loads of options in 3 shops, or somewhere like Carphone Warehouse.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 09, 2018, 05:03:59 PM
Quote from: dec on April 09, 2018, 03:52:24 PM

Best bet might be a pre pay phone with 3 and tether from that. They offer all you can eat date in Ireland, its 20 euro's a month.
Be careful with 3. Their coverage is awful. Their data signals can be useless.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

dec

Their mobile phone is with Vodafone so I assume the vodafone coverage is OK where they stay. It is ye olde flip-phone so tethering is not an option they will need to buy a hot spot device or a usb stick.

armaghniac

The first question is what is the quality of signal at their house. This is more important than saving a fiver with one provider rather than another.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B