"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rossfan

Farewell Gooch.
He was one hell of a player.
Thanks for the memories.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Up The Middle

Him and Canavan are the two most naturally gifted forwards I have ever seen. Everything seemed to come so easy for both of them. Probably couldn't take another year of the muck that Football has become.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

orangeman

Poetry in motion.

Leaves with the whole collection of memories and medals. He had some career.

Thanks for the memories.

Farrandeelin

One Kerryman I know says he's the best natural forward Kerry have produced in his lifetime. And he's over 60.

All the best Gooch, thanks for the (painful at times) memories.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TabClear

Quote from: Up The Middle on April 04, 2017, 08:54:08 AM
Him and Canavan are the two most naturally gifted forwards I have ever seen. Everything seemed to come so easy for both of them. Probably couldn't take another year of the muck that Football has become.

Spot on.  Unfortunately they are now classed as forwards from a different era and kids today are unlikely to get to see their like again due to the current "systems".

Thanks for the memories Gooch

highorlow

The best player I have seen. Glad that he got his club medal this year.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Croí na hÉireann

Very surprised. Thought he'd hang on for the summer at least. Ideal to being him on for the last 15 when bodies are starting to tire.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Amazing player with 8 all stars, one behind Spillane and has five All-Ireland medals.
Surprisingly he has never won the All-Stars player of the year though did win the Texaco equivalent in 2004.

His first year was in 2002 when Armagh pipped them in the final and then Tyrone were to become one of his biggest rivals. Dublin of course have taken up that mantle in the last 5 or 6 years.
I'd say he's glad to be getting out of the modern game at intercounty level anyway as the game is a lot tougher now for forwards like him than back in the noughties.

Syferus

I saw that wonder goal against Mayo in 2011 in person. It was a great moment to be able to share with the father, watching the best player of his generation showcase his talents in the white heat of Croke Park in August.

Gooch had the touch of magic about him only the very best players have.

Jinxy

Before the knee injury he was untouchable.
That robbed him of some of his agility and while he still had an amazing football brain and natural ability, his ability to twist & turn on a sixpence was diminished.
Always seemed to be thinking two steps ahead of the defender(s).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

The way he morphed into a playmaker was very impressive. His kick  passing is normally sublime, must have been a dream for O'Donoghue to be getting passes like that. I still rate Maurice Fitzgerald as the best, most natural, Kerry forward I've seen, but I'd put Gooch right beside John Egan just behind him. Fantastic player.

Buttofthehill

One of the best. Most recently, 1st half against Dublin in 2013, he was incredible.*

*Even though everybody forgets Connolly got MotM!

omagh_gael

He scored a point against Sligo in '09 (when Sligo should missed the late penalty) where 4 or 5 Sligo men hung off him and Gooch kept twisting and turning. He looked like he was going to drop with exhaustion but somehow managed to fire it over from the right wing. A superb player and a gentleman to boot.

Shamrock Shore

Great player and a great lad off the pitch as well.