AI Hurling Championship 2024

Started by johnnycool, April 19, 2024, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2024, 08:31:28 AMI'm not convinced Shefflin is cutting it with Galway.

Cork are really up against it now and will have to beat Limerick or I would say they're out. Waterford need to beat Tipp or they're likely out too and same if Tipp don't beat Waterford. Tipp beating Waterford would help Cork a bi though.

I think Galway and Dublin should switch managers, O'D looks completely lost with Dublin doesn't seem to know how to progress them. Shefflin doesn't seem to be getting a tune out of Galway and IMO hasn't improved them either.

O'D back to Galway where he at least was passionate about it and knows the players, Shefflin to Dublin to bring that big name bounce and attract more players to the Dublin set up.

Both currently treading water and going no where fast.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2024, 09:39:47 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2024, 08:31:28 AMI'm not convinced Shefflin is cutting it with Galway.

Cork are really up against it now and will have to beat Limerick or I would say they're out. Waterford need to beat Tipp or they're likely out too and same if Tipp don't beat Waterford. Tipp beating Waterford would help Cork a bi though.

I think Galway and Dublin should switch managers, O'D looks completely lost with Dublin doesn't seem to know how to progress them. Shefflin doesn't seem to be getting a tune out of Galway and IMO hasn't improved them either.

O'D back to Galway where he at least was passionate about it and knows the players, Shefflin to Dublin to bring that big name bounce and attract more players to the Dublin set up.

Would Henry look to come up to Antrim after Darren steps back?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2024, 09:48:42 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2024, 09:39:47 AM

Would Henry look to come up to Antrim after Darren steps back?

Cork job beckons for Henry

Darren may get total redemption in Tipp if Cahill doesn't get them out of Munster

imtommygunn

I would doubt Shefflin would come anywhere near antrim. Gleeson has done a fantastic job in antrim. I hope we hold onto him for much longer.

NAG1

If DG gets a positive outcome for the season he will be gone.

As to where he goes or who would take him that's an entirely different conversation.

Saffrongael

Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2024, 10:46:03 AMIf DG gets a positive outcome for the season he will be gone.

As to where he goes or who would take him that's an entirely different conversation.

Yep if he gets anything decent in the south he will be away, otherwise he may hang about as €70k a year or whatever it is would be hard enough to walk away from.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Money aside, as its standard across the country. Spoke to Darren a few times and his passion is very real and commitment to the task (from what I see) is what you are looking for in a manager.

3 to 4 years is generally enough for both players and management, I've seen some good kids come through recently at club level to suggest that the future at senior hurling in Antrim could get better.

Dealing with the younger generation is tough though, was at a under 14 I think development games at the weekend and while we were on top over Derry, I still think we are miles away from other hurling strongholds

Basics need addressed I feel across the clubs, catching, striking left/right dipping the ball, speed of delivery, spatial awareness, these are the basics that the club should be on top of before coming into development squads.

Club is still king and some clubs don't (maybe understandably in cases across both codes) have faith in them and would rather develop their own kids to succeed with them.

What's the answer? We really do have a lack of togetherness that other counties have for whatever reason, I think in most counties County is king and club comes a very close second, but the carrot of getting to Croke with your club is easier here than with the county might be one reason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 30, 2024, 11:01:23 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2024, 10:46:03 AMIf DG gets a positive outcome for the season he will be gone.

Yep if he gets anything decent in the south he will be away, otherwise he may hang about as €70k a year or whatever it is would be hard enough to walk away from.
Antrim need to build on this. Laois never built on the buzz they had with Eddie Brennan. The GAA should have a fund for this sort of situation.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2024, 11:18:30 AMMoney aside, as its standard across the country. Spoke to Darren a few times and his passion is very real and commitment to the task (from what I see) is what you are looking for in a manager.

3 to 4 years is generally enough for both players and management, I've seen some good kids come through recently at club level to suggest that the future at senior hurling in Antrim could get better.

Dealing with the younger generation is tough though, was at a under 14 I think development games at the weekend and while we were on top over Derry, I still think we are miles away from other hurling strongholds

Basics need addressed I feel across the clubs, catching, striking left/right dipping the ball, speed of delivery, spatial awareness, these are the basics that the club should be on top of before coming into development squads.

Club is still king and some clubs don't (maybe understandably in cases across both codes) have faith in them and would rather develop their own kids to succeed with them.

What's the answer? We really do have a lack of togetherness that other counties have for whatever reason, I think in most counties County is king and club comes a very close second, but the carrot of getting to Croke with your club is easier here than with the county might be one reason

In the football and hurling we've invested a lot at senior level and tbh while we are not going to win all irelands I think both setups are considerably better and something that younger ones can hopefully aspire to. The hurling setup is considerably more professional than we have ever had before irrespective of the outcome of the upcoming games and the football would be the same. However the underage results aren't inspiring in either code - I kind of hope maybe there's a plan to start with senior but we will see.

seafoid

Kids are inspired by sporting breakthroughs  on the field. This is well understood in the Glens. If you want something to be important, make it important.