Buying a house

Started by Boolerhead Mel, January 06, 2009, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Quote from: heganboy on June 05, 2009, 05:44:48 PM
Quote from: delboy on June 05, 2009, 05:38:19 PM
most families nowadays have both the father and mother working to support the household.

actually in the US the trend is now away from that, more families are moving to a one income household, price of child care and the current economy are contributing factors

Well the story goes that what happens in the US will also come to pass here, its certainly not the case at the moment but I think it would be a great thing if we could get back to the days of a family being able to live on a single income instead of both mother and father working all hours just to keep a roof over their head.

tyronefan

You should go directly to the builder or seller and deal with them face to face

At least that way you know exactly whats happening and cut out the estate agent in the negotiation stages, I bet you there is not a builder in Ireland who would turn you away and at least you know how you stand with your offer.

Quagmire

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on June 05, 2009, 03:15:45 PM
Fermgeal

I have a feeling you are correct -but is there anyway of proving an estate agent is using sharp practise-I did feel like calling them a liar on the phone but bit my tongue!

As far as I'm aware you can ask to see the bidding history on a property you've been bidding on, the agents are legally required to keep a record of bids in order to prevent this type of abuse. I don't know what this should look like in terms of a book or stored on a computer but the doll I spoke to in the bank about getting a mortgage wired me off on it as the agents she was dealing with togged it when she pulled them on a property she was bidding on. She then pulled out of the deal as she felt they were trying to take her on.

Jimmy

from www.bbc.co.uk

Property prices will nose-dive in NI if the Irish Republic's new toxic assets agency dumps developments on the market, Stormont ministers have warned.

Finance ministers from both sides of the border are to hold emergency talks over fears the north could be swamped with repossessed homes and offices.

The issue was raised at a North-South Ministerial Council meeting in Dublin.

An agency has been set up in Dublin to recoup debt run up by banks on property bought in NI and in the Republic.

The National Assets Management Agency (NAMA) will attempt to recover nationalised bank losses for the Irish government through the selling-off of developments that collapsed during the property crash.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen said there were concerns about the number of Northern Ireland properties which will be taken over by NAMA.

'Implications'

"Obviously some of these assets are located in the Republic, in Northern Ireland and other jurisdictions as well," Mr Cowen said.

"It's important that we fully agreed in our discussions that both finance ministers would meet to consider the implications over the period ahead.

"It's obviously a matter of co-ordinating policy decisions."

Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson said Finance Minster Sammy Wilson would meet with his counterpart in the Republic, Brian Lenihan, in an attempt to stave off any threat to Northern Ireland's house prices.

"There are assets which are being held by NAMA which impact upon Northern Ireland, those disposals need to be handled in a way that don't swamp the property market and impact adversely on property prices in Northern Ireland," he said.

It is estimated that Irish banks hold anything between 60bn and 90bn euros of so-called toxic assets, the money loaned to property developers and others which might never be repaid.

Around 30bn euros worth are thought to be outside the Republic and as many as 15bn to 20bn euros worth of bad property-related debts are thought to be in Northern Ireland.

What do you make of this? Am looking to buy but trying to time it right so prices are as low or as close to low as possible. But if this is true then surely there is still a bit to go.

Canalman

Wouldn't go near buying a house at the moment. Dublin house prices are plummeting and no "bottoming out" on the horizon. Estate Agents as usual spouting off about " a great time to buy"...... tosh. The repos have yet to really hit the market also.

Goats Do Shave

Went to bid on a house yesterday, only to find that the current bid of £10,000 over the asking price!  :o

FermGael

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 07, 2009, 07:54:05 AM
Went to bid on a house yesterday, only to find that the current bid of £10,000 over the asking price!  :o

Do not be surprised if you get a phone call in the next week or two saying that the current bid has been withdrawn and would you like to make a new bid.  Seems to be the new tactic being adopted by estate agents.  A friend of mine was in a similar situation and offered 10% less of what he originally offered.  He got the house.  It's a buyers market.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Goats Do Shave

I doubt it - but i'll let ye know!

the derg

sticking up for us estate agents i can tell you any agent who tries the "higher bid" when there isnt is a silly p***k because for all he gets extra it is really not worth it also if you go down this route not only have you to be a superb liar but at the minute your client does not want any messing about depending on the redemption figure and their circumstances any fair and reasonable offer will be considered . in the glory days agents got the blame for gazzumping but we are obliged to make our clients aware of offers and it is up to them to decide whether to go for it i personally have never went back on a deal but plenty of buyers have bid houses up to pull out at a later date leaving the agent to clear up the mess and relay the bad news

lob her in lad

meself and the missus just got an offer for a house accepted we went in about £25 k under the asking after it had already been dropped by £10 k. The vendor originally refused it and said they wouldn't budge but we just sat back for a week and had no contact with the agent and lo and behold a week later on Monday gone they accepted. Ah you have got to love the recession if not estate agents. I just want to know what sort of herculian people work for these estate agents when a 'stones throw' is equal to a good fifteen minute walk. They must all be puc fada champions.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

orangeman

What is the average pice of a semi detatched in Northern Ireland at the minute ??

What about the South ?? What's a semi d there now ?

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2009, 03:14:08 PM
In Dunloy there's 6-8 terrace houses in a new development sitting idle. At the top of the market before they were finished the asking price was 220K for what is probably a 900-1000 sq ft poorly designed poorly built dwelling with 2 what you would call bedrooms and a walk in wardrobe (classed as third bedroom). They are currently being advertised at 109K and no takers as far as I can see.

It is of course the land prices paid that are keeping prices high. I'm sure a developer can knock up a peice of shit house for less than 40K

I'd edit this to say North Antrim sharpish.I'm willing to bet that the village you mention does not have a plethora of developments that fit that criteria.

Our Nail Loney

Gonna start saving myself for a house. The deposit will be a killer.

Think if I get about 8,000 saved then I can always find a good even money shot double her up to 16,000

I am joking of course

theskull1

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 07, 2009, 10:25:12 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2009, 03:14:08 PM
In Dunloy there's 6-8 terrace houses in a new development sitting idle. At the top of the market before they were finished the asking price was 220K for what is probably a 900-1000 sq ft poorly designed poorly built dwelling with 2 what you would call bedrooms and a walk in wardrobe (classed as third bedroom). They are currently being advertised at 109K and no takers as far as I can see.

It is of course the land prices paid that are keeping prices high. I'm sure a developer can knock up a peice of shit house for less than 40K

I'd edit this to say North Antrim sharpish.I'm willing to bet that the village you mention does not have a plethora of developments that fit that criteria.

??? Why?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

City shopping centre up for sale 

Patrick (l) and Hugh Hegarty own the business W G Mitchell
The Richmond Shopping Centre, seven city centre buildings and 22 acres of land on the outskirts of Londonderry have been put up for sale.

The property was put up for sale by administrators Enrst and Young who earlier this year were appointed to W G Mitchell and associated companies.

Twenty eight businesses owned by brothers Patrick and Hugh Hegarty went into administration in April.

A guide price of £26m has been put on the Richmond Centre.

The companies in administration also own property in Charlotte Square and George Street in Edinburgh and developments in Glasgow, Perth and Fraserburgh in Aberdeenshire.

The Hegarty family began investing in property in Northern Ireland in the 1960s.

Their W G Mitchell company moved into the Scottish market in the late 1990s developing a focus on hotels.

At the end of 2008 the company was attempting to raise money through the sale of two of its hotels.

The Bonnington in London was put on the market less than a year after W G Mitchell bought it from Irish hotelier Jim McGettigan for about £70m. Its Radisson hotel in Edinburgh was also up for sale.

Last year's Sunday Times rich list estimated that Patrick Hegarty and his family had a fortune of £40m.